Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#31 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 7:46:14 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
lol. "Drug Lord and Bacon Chef Tatoosh has membership to Forums!" (Drug Lord because that is the only way to accumulate money quickly unless you rob a bank or something.)
Offline Tatoosh  
#32 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 8:45:26 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Well, I do have a small group of individuals that have threatened to bar my departure from the Philippines if I won't share my bacon techniques. While my bacon is pretty good, it is not yet world class. I know people that make that sort though. I know some of their techniques but going for very top end takes not only experience but the right ingredients from exotic heritage pork to long tested and closely guarded spice and herb blends.

That said, mine still isn't all that bad as artisan bacon goes - the slow cured, hand processed, real wood smoke stuff. When I get the chops right they aren't bad either and my turkey's are about as juicy as I've run into, but I'm always hunting ways to up my game

cool

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#33 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 10:58:38 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Oh.. It is turkey bacon, you ARE a monster.
Offline acarzt  
#34 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 12:19:42 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
Oh.. It is turkey bacon, you ARE a monster.

Hmmm... you're right... you don't retain information very well when you read...

He isn't talking about turkey bacon lol He has said in the past, he makes bacon and other meats. I'm 99% sure he is just talking about cooking a turkey and also pork chops...

Offline acarzt  
#35 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 12:23:05 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Well, I do have a small group of individuals that have threatened to bar my departure from the Philippines if I won't share my bacon techniques. While my bacon is pretty good, it is not yet world class. I know people that make that sort though. I know some of their techniques but going for very top end takes not only experience but the right ingredients from exotic heritage pork to long tested and closely guarded spice and herb blends.

That said, mine still isn't all that bad as artisan bacon goes - the slow cured, hand processed, real wood smoke stuff. When I get the chops right they aren't bad either and my turkey's are about as juicy as I've run into, but I'm always hunting ways to up my game

cool

Tatoosh... this guy makes the best BBQ brisket in Texas (possibly the world)... you should try it out:

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#36 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 10:50:50 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I had some BBQ tonight for lols. It was sub-par. It is Famous Dave's :/
Offline acarzt  
#37 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 11:03:37 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
I had some BBQ tonight for lols. It was sub-par. It is Famous Dave's :/

YUCK! Famous Dave's is terrible! That is not real BBQ!

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#38 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 11:41:23 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

I know this NOW XD. It was pretty bad.
Offline Tatoosh  
#39 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:52:27 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

arcatz & blackhawk, sorry - I posted a response to this a few days back but it got wiped out. Probably because I hit the wrong "post" button and that seems to have a rather draconian effect on "Quick Reply".

Franklin's is legend among BBQ folks. There is a quite a list of good barbecue places but only a few that have the standing that Franklin's does. At least for brisket, which he is pretty well considered the reigning king of.

Famous Dave's is a chain and chain restaurants are hard pressed to bring great "Q" to the table. They may have some folks that like food running the place, but they have bean counters making sure the chain stays out of the red ink. That means the slow, labor intensive, artisan approach to putting smoke on meat is unlikely to be encouraged or even tolerated. Which is why you look for small, single footprint spots for good eats when it comes to "Q".

I do not want to claim my stuff is really good, particularly my BBQ. My bacon is pretty decent but not world class. I know the difference and while I am working toward that level in the future, I'm not there. But it is better than most folks normally get to enjoy if they buy bacon at the supermarket. But my ribs, pulled pork, and so forth is middling to good. Not better than that. Yet.

I don't do turkey bacon. I won't say I never will make turkey bacon since I've learned to never say never, but if I do it will probably involve a large bore pistol pointed at my head or something along those lines. The turkey I refer to is a smoked whole turkey of medium small size that I rub, inject, and then smoke over fairly high heat until it is done. I am going to try a hot oil finish on them in the States to get that perfectly crisp skin to go with the rosemary enhanced meat dripping with juice.

My apology to any Vegans in the house.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#40 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:50:05 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
arcatz & blackhawk, sorry - I posted a response to this a few days back but it got wiped out. Probably because I hit the wrong "post" button and that seems to have a rather draconian effect on "Quick Reply".

Franklin's is legend among BBQ folks. There is a quite a list of good barbecue places but only a few that have the standing that Franklin's does. At least for brisket, which he is pretty well considered the reigning king of.

Famous Dave's is a chain and chain restaurants are hard pressed to bring great "Q" to the table. They may have some folks that like food running the place, but they have bean counters making sure the chain stays out of the red ink. That means the slow, labor intensive, artisan approach to putting smoke on meat is unlikely to be encouraged or even tolerated. Which is why you look for small, single footprint spots for good eats when it comes to "Q".

I do not want to claim my stuff is really good, particularly my BBQ. My bacon is pretty decent but not world class. I know the difference and while I am working toward that level in the future, I'm not there. But it is better than most folks normally get to enjoy if they buy bacon at the supermarket. But my ribs, pulled pork, and so forth is middling to good. Not better than that. Yet.

I don't do turkey bacon. I won't say I never will make turkey bacon since I've learned to never say never, but if I do it will probably involve a large bore pistol pointed at my head or something along those lines. The turkey I refer to is a smoked whole turkey of medium small size that I rub, inject, and then smoke over fairly high heat until it is done. I am going to try a hot oil finish on them in the States to get that perfectly crisp skin to go with the rosemary enhanced meat dripping with juice.

My apology to any Vegans in the house.

Sounds cool, and thanks for making me hungry. Something you should get into is Italian Beef Sandwiches, those are awesome.

Offline acarzt  
#41 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:36:14 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

One of these days I will go get some Franklin's brisket! You really have to be dedicated to gwt some though. You need be at the restaurant by 7am, and wait in line until they open at around 11am. And then you hope and pray that they dont run out of food by the time you make it to the front lol
Offline Tatoosh  
#42 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 4:47:12 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

acartz, I do seriously hope you do make that effort. Life is short, great food is rare, some things are worth the effort. I'd love to hear your impression of the experience.

Blackhawk - You have a wonderful palette of appreciation for sandwiches. I too love the Italian Sandwich. Johnny's in Portland Oregon was as true to the Chicago ideal as one can get without setting foot in Cook County. Johnny was a related, at least in demeanor, to the Soup [censored] in the old Sienfeld TV show. He turns out a top quality product but does not suffer the indecisive customer well. Or even the odd food supplier, as I have it on good word he has been seen to chase an erring supplier out of his store while brandishing a chef's knife.

All that unnecessary background info aside, the sandwich was superb, the sauce very good (though partially from a powder) and the pepperoncini a perfect accompaniment for the sandwich. His fries were darn good too. I fear the Italian Beef sandwich is a Bridge Too Far for me. Though I would love to have that skill in my toolbox, to be sure.

Edited by user Friday, November 6, 2015 4:50:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: repetitive and awkward construction of things said once too often

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#43 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 7:43:32 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Haha, Italian beef isn't that hard to make I don't believe, just get the beef-making process down, then add giardiniera and cheese if you like it that way. Maybe a drizzle of grease or oil and you have an awesome sandwich. Also, I love your edit reason, just makes me chuckle for some reason xD

Edited by user Friday, November 6, 2015 7:44:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: So many typos, oh dear god, so many typos.