Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline acarzt  
#16 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 1:30:02 AM(UTC)
acarzt

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Good article jjr.

They intentionally avoid mentioning what happens when you put those 2 gpus on the same rail lol the psu shuts down. Which is why I warned to make sure you keep the gpu on it's own rail lol the cables will be labeled 12v1, 12v2 or something similar.

Also, the article suggest the psu in question has 2 480 watt rails... that's 960 watts and no mention of 3.3v or 5v yet... this is likely a 1200 watt power supply they are referring to!

Anyway, with multi rail you just need to be sure to properly distribute power across rails. Single rail makes it so you don't even need to think about it.

Edited by user Friday, October 23, 2015 1:31:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#17 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 7:39:44 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Woo! A community solved problem! :D
Offline acarzt  
#18 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 12:09:25 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Tatoosh, I know you've mentioned coming to the states and then going back to the Philippines in the future...

Have you considered saving up, and then buying your parts when you get here, and then taking them back with you on your trip to the Philippines?

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 12:18:43 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

That is what he meant...
Offline acarzt  
#20 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 2:30:35 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

I don't think so... but i've been wrong before :-)
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#21 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 4:39:23 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: acarzt Go to Quoted Post
I don't think so... but i've been wrong before :-)

Nope, I misread... "The SSD drive will travel with me back to the States, but the rest of the system will likely go to an in-law who will be attending college here in the wonderful but somewhat soggy Philippines.

Getting my hands on a decent power supply in the USA is not hard, but the cost of getting that puppy across the frothy blue waves of the Pacific Ocean is a bit of a challenge in terms of economy. Lighter stuff can be shipped air for not too much money. I expect the shipping on the GPU to cost me around $15 to $18 or so delivered to my doorstep. But the heavier PSU will jump a bunch. There is another option for shipping but while it is relatively cheap, it slow and it works when you ship a full box of stuff, not a single item. "

SO yeah... :P

Offline acarzt  
#22 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 5:19:39 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post

Getting my hands on a decent power supply in the USA is not hard, but the cost of getting that puppy across the frothy blue waves of the Pacific Ocean is a bit of a challenge in terms of economy. Lighter stuff can be shipped air for not too much money. I expect the shipping on the GPU to cost me around $15 to $18 or so delivered to my doorstep. But the heavier PSU will jump a bunch. There is another option for shipping but while it is relatively cheap, it slow and it works when you ship a full box of stuff, not a single item. "

This implies shipping. I am suggesting carrying it on the plane or boat with him, whatever method of travel he will be using.

Offline Tatoosh  
#23 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 8:18:12 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Wow! Thank you very much everyone for the continued discussion and the links. I am learning more as I go. I see that a multi-rail power supply may not be the solution I had envisioned, but if I happen into one, I have a much better idea what to do with it.

I, well we (wife and myself) actually, are moving back to the States for a serious period of time - a minimum of 3 years and likely longer. But I will occasionally be shipping things to in-laws in the Philippines and that will likely include computer parts. When we first arrive, I'll put together a very minimal system because getting setup from scratch is always a bit complex and expensive. However, once we have settled in, I guarantee you that I'll be rereading these threads as well as posing more questions.

The Corsair PSU looks like what I'll definitely want and one that I'll keep an eye open for shipping to the Philippines in the future. I'm not much worried about a case until that remote day I can consider a kick-a** GPU or two with cooling system. Since I cannot see that far into the future, I'll skip it for the time being.

So a bit of light/medium gaming, internet surfing, and maybe keeping track of temps on my smoker(s), my being fairly heavy into making bacon, cured chops, sausages, and all things BBQ.

I have been looking at LifeHacker's $300 (if I must) and their $600 build for a PC. It will be adjusted for any bits I bring with me and for upgrades I find here (at HotHardware), such at the PSU - better to get a good one to start and I can upgrade my system without concerns re: replacing the PSU.

http://lifehacker.com/58...n-build-for-600-and-1200

Edited by user Friday, October 23, 2015 9:02:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#24 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 9:04:31 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
Wow! Thank you very much everyone for the continued discussion and the links. I am learning more as I go. I see that a multi-rail power supply may not be the solution I had envisioned, but if I happen into one, I have a much better idea what to do with it.

I, well we (wife and myself) actually, are moving back to the States for a serious period of time - a minimum of 3 years and likely longer. But I will occasionally be shipping things to in-laws in the Philippines and that will likely include computer parts. When we first arrive, I'll put together a very minimal system because getting setup from scratch is always a bit complex and expensive. However, once we have settled in, I guarantee you that I'll be rereading these threads as well as posing more questions.

The Corsair PSU looks like what I'll definitely want and one that I'll keep an eye open for shipping to the Philippines in the future. I'm not much worried about a case until that remote day I can consider a kick-a** GPU or two with cooling system. Since I cannot see that far into the future, I'll skip it for the time being.

So a bit of light/medium gaming, internet surfing, and maybe keeping track of temps on my smoker(s), my being fairly heavy into making bacon, cured chops, sausages, and all things BBQ.

I have been looking at LifeHacker's $300 (if I must) and their $600 build for a PC. It will be adjusted for any bits I bring with me and for upgrades I find here (at HotHardware), such at the PSU - better to get a good one to start and I can upgrade my system without concerns re: replacing the PSU.

http://lifehacker.com/58...n-build-for-600-and-1200

If you want cheap build guides, look up TechSource on YouTube. Thanks for your continued attention to this thread as well!

thanks 1 user thanked Blackhawk8100 for this useful post.
Tatoosh on 10/23/2015(UTC)
Offline Tatoosh  
#25 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 10:03:00 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

I'll check them out, BlackHawk - this has been a rewarding thread for me. Not only from the obvious PSU enlightenment but also to help me focus on power requirements for the GPU I'll get soon. I'll be more certain about staying within safety limits on my current PSU and not incurring further expense.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#26 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 12:06:09 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
I'll check them out, BlackHawk - this has been a rewarding thread for me. Not only from the obvious PSU enlightenment but also to help me focus on power requirements for the GPU I'll get soon. I'll be more certain about staying within safety limits on my current PSU and not incurring further expense.

Sweet, congrats on getting this settled! :D