Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tatoosh  
#16 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 2:52:20 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hey now, I never said a knife to the neck. No! No! Maybe a pencil in the eye? I get that the reason for a contest is to draw attention. And dang it, that triad of game play does a fine job of getting attention, to be sure! Involvement is a good thing - but how many hoops. Make a comment should be good - in my book. One comment. Not a spam post for cheap s[censored]s or whatever but something. Something you like. Something you don't. Whatever.

Look, I'm back. Second post and everything. Scanned some other posts in the forum. Was looking at your blurbs from my email update you so kindlly deliver to me. Hunting an SSD for my cheap ancient system so I can keep it alive and kicking a bit longer. Found out the blurb was for an SSD that is not quite on the market yet - oh heck. Back to comparing Crucible and Samsung for price and so forth. I just hate Samsung so I dunno why I even bother.

I love contest. It'll kill me if I won it because I'd have to sell the SOB to pay the taxes on it. Bleh! My in-laws would turn hazel - (brown and green?) if I won that, they being Filipino and high tech is like uber candy to them. I wouldn't actually want to do that to them - so it goes. But damn nice system - I could World of Warships at 60 FPS without a hick up . No stutters, no blinking and winking. Oh well. Dreams are made of this and I'll leave you all be.

Single entry in the forum rule maybe? Just a thought. Give the dreamers a itty bitty fluff feather of hope.

Later!

Offline acarzt  
#17 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 4:07:55 AM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I think well all get it, it's just that less people will be will to "stuff the ballot" if the know their efforts are in vein.

I find it entertaining trying to be the most active, but I also try to make my post well thought out and worth people's time for reading. The last thing I want to do is fill the forum with garbage posts lol

But I also know there are others that will post nonsense just for the sake of a post.

But anyway, why no love for Samsung? They make the best SSDs on the market! Intel would be a close second...

If you want a cheap, yet quality and high performing SSD, I would suggest looking at the Mushkin ECO2. I did a build for a friend of mine and used 2 of those in a RAID 0 and was impressed by their performance. Also they are made in the USA, if that matters to you :-P

Offline lamdt  
#18 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 4:08:53 AM(UTC)
lamdt

Still don't know how to sign this giveaway, not share the post in fb, not post to sign. How? Just random forum member?
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 2:13:43 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
No, you have to remain active and engaging. Be helpful too!
Offline Jace30  
#20 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 2:48:55 PM(UTC)
Jace30

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
I like that idea, it brings lurkers out, like me!

LURK LURK LURK :cool cool cool yeah i enjoy the fb posts and the site but i tend to avoid forums.

Offline acarzt  
#21 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 3:12:56 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Jace30 Go to Quoted Post
LURK LURK LURK :cool cool cool yeah i enjoy the fb posts and the site but i tend to avoid forums.

lol You are the definition of Lurking! You are averaging 1 post every 2 and a half years!

Offline Tatoosh  
#22 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 3:25:08 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

acarzt - my disdain of Samsung is due to a few years of purchasing their products, primarily consumer oriented, generally better ones by the standards of where I'm hanging my hat these days, and having them suck up, fail, and generally quit performing. Now it may be that Samsung has designated the Philippines as the dumping ground for all marginal builds. I would not be amazed if that were true.

Two matching phones, lasted 18 and 24 months and then became perpetual repair magnets. Two flat screen LCD televisions - both kaput though one can be watched if you don't mind people that are very reddish pink. A nice $500 monitor that just went white screen. A cheaper monitor that went the same, but can be adjusted with a variation of the pink people solution. Not such a big hit but just another nail in their coffin for me.

Oh, I might buy a Samsung SSD. It may be better. But only if I bought it in the USA and shipped over the fluffy blue waves of the Pacific.

Offline JJr  
#23 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 3:46:10 PM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: acarzt Go to Quoted Post
lol You are the definition of Lurking! You are averaging 1 post every 2 and a half years!

lol. did somebody say lurker? that would be me too lmao

Originally Posted by: Tatoosh Go to Quoted Post
acarzt - my disdain of Samsung is due to a few years of purchasing their products, primarily consumer oriented, generally better ones by the standards of where I'm hanging my hat these days, and having them suck up, fail, and generally quit performing. Now it may be that Samsung has designated the Philippines as the dumping ground for all marginal builds. I would not be amazed if that were true.

Two matching phones, lasted 18 and 24 months and then became perpetual repair magnets. Two flat screen LCD televisions - both kaput though one can be watched if you don't mind people that are very reddish pink. A nice $500 monitor that just went white screen. A cheaper monitor that went the same, but can be adjusted with a variation of the pink people solution. Not such a big hit but just another nail in their coffin for me.

Oh, I might buy a Samsung SSD. It may be better. But only if I bought it in the USA and shipped over the fluffy blue waves of the Pacific.

oh hi there kabayan wink had bad experience with samsung too. It was TV though. their SSDs seems to be reliable.

Offline Tatoosh  
#24 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 4:19:46 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

Mabuhay, JJr! I'm really more of a long term kano tourista - but my wife is your kabayan!

So how about Crucial? I see their SSD's are not hugely expensive. I really want to get a new one, not used. Do I need the install kit? It is another $25 roughly. Call me a cheap Charlie (JJr gets to call me kuripot).

I'll wait for Blackhawk's response about my MB and maybe he will address the GPU thing. I've been looking at the GTX 660 ti over on eBay and thinking - next month. Or the month after. Or someday

Offline acarzt  
#25 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 5:04:45 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

That's unfortunate about your experience with Samsung... You wouldn't need an upgrade kit. Just mount and plug in the SSD, and then install windows to it. Once you boot to the SSD, your old hard drive will show up as a secondary drive. You can transfer files to the SSD, or leave them on your HDD.

Also, on the video card front. I would recommend a GTX 950. That should be plenty powerful to play that game you mentioned. That games recommends a 550 ti. So the 950 will have no problem. If you are willing to spend a little extra you can step up to the 960, but at that point your PSU might become a limiting factor (I don't know what you're working with)

Offline Tatoosh  
#26 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 6:39:06 PM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

acarzt - I popped open eBay and looked at the GTX 960 - what a little dream card. It is probably what I will try to find when I've arrived in the Northwest, settled in, got my other projects started (smoking meat and making bacon are kind of my thing). Then that card would be sweet in a tad more modern motherboard, 8 gig of ram or so, a terabyte of HDD for files and my little Crucible 256 SDD for the operating system. Zippity Do Dah! I could be seeing the luxurious palm trees swaying on the islands as I pushed my battle wagon around the far side to hide from the devious destroyer looking to drop a load of torpedoes into me - World of Warships. Ah, someday, I'm sure!

Sadly while the starting bid price looks almost do-able, the ending price is not. I fear a GTX 660 ti 2gb will be actuality and I think I may better content myself to that for the short term. But I do love the recommendation. Its specs look so nice!

Something are better done slower than faster. Honest!

Offline acarzt  
#27 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 6:44:15 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

If you don't mind my asking, what is your budget for the graphics card? Maybe I can find you something that will work and is readily available!
Offline JJr  
#28 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 7:15:44 PM(UTC)
JJr

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
if you are buying your gpu there in the Philippines,dont go ebay.. you can go to tipidpc.com. its like craigslist of pc ( alot of good used ones at a very good price,). many good sellers there that will ship the item (but of course, the trusted ones and have alot of feedback). you can do meet ups too. not only gpu too, every pc parts you can buy there. i have used it back when i was there in Phil.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#29 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 11:41:20 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JJr Go to Quoted Post
if you are buying your gpu there in the Philippines,dont go ebay.. you can go to tipidpc.com. its like craigslist of pc ( alot of good used ones at a very good price,). many good sellers there that will ship the item (but of course, the trusted ones and have alot of feedback). you can do meet ups too. not only gpu too, every pc parts you can buy there. i have used it back when i was there in Phil.

1. Can someone verify that site?

2.I wouldn't trust meetups, they are always sketchy.

Offline Tatoosh  
#30 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2015 2:36:10 AM(UTC)
Tatoosh

Man
United States

acarzt - at the moment there really isn't a "budget" or let's say "funds available". I'll have $100 - $125 probably set aside plus a bit for shipping from the USA to Phil,which is costing me $8 a pound, so not huge money on that part. But it won't be until November or maybe December.

JJr, I'm planning on buying inthe States. Meet ups are problematic and I'm up in the breezy mountains of the Cordillera, not down in the stuffy NCR area. I have not heard of the website you mentioned, but will check it out. OLX and Ayos Dito were ones I've used, but not for this sort of thing.

Meet ups are very common here in the Philippines and generally not the Craigslist horror story that might spring to mind in the States. Usually at the food court of a big mall in the area, hooking up, checking the item out and making the exchange is generally a smooth operation. But I don't get around so much while my family, for the most part, are buried in text books and homework. Around my place it is work or study. <evil grin>

Hey, I may disappear for a few days, we have a couple of typhoons on the way, one making landfall today. That usually wipes out power and communications so it will not be from lack of interest if you do not see a response for a couple of days. Sometimes we lose it for a few hours, sometimes for a few days. All part of the enjoying life elsewhere!

Take care and be safe!