Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline venser  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:37:55 AM(UTC)
venser

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I wanted to piece together a tower for gaming and understand there are tons of processors with multiple cores. How many are needed and how many are a waste just for gaming?

I wanted to do high performance mainly, max graphics aren't my priority. I figured 2 to 4 cores is as much as I would really need, but I don't know. I was also curious about SSD vs HD, would it be worth the money for a SSD if I am mostly sticking to mmo rpg play... load lots of particles fast and zone quicker with SSD, or would it really not make much of a difference?

Edited by user Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:42:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline AKwyn  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 11:11:48 AM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: venser Go to Quoted Post
I wanted to piece together a tower for gaming and understand there are tons of processors with multiple cores. How many are needed and how many are a waste just for gaming?

I wanted to do high performance mainly, max graphics aren't my priority. I figured 2 to 4 cores is as much as I would really need, but I don't know. I was also curious about SSD vs HD, would it be worth the money for a SSD if I am mostly sticking to mmo rpg play... load lots of particles fast and zone quicker with SSD, or would it really not make much of a difference?

I would go with 4 cores minimum since more games are utilizing it more for physics and AI calculation as well as to power the GPU. 6/8 cores are really needed if you're doing something like video editing or 3D rendering.

As for an SSD, it'll just allow your game to run faster; I've read that if you're running an MMORPG than it'll make for an immersive experience since the levels/textures/particles will load faster since it's loading from memory rather than slower disk platters but do keep in mind that you have to take care of it meaning you don't put everything on the SSD. Go for an SSD/HDD combo meaning put the games on the SSD and the important documents on the HDD.

Hope this helps! :)

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 4:02:38 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Depends on your games, if you are playing, say, Minecraft, it only uses 1 core I believe. Most games use a couple cores, doesn't matter really. Preference I'd say.
Offline JOMA  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 2:15:01 AM(UTC)
JOMA

For gaming a high clocked i5 is a good option for a CPU. Two cores would probably be sufficient for most games but for a little future proofing 4 couldn't hurt. GPU is typically the most important component in a gaming PC as long as you pair it with a decent CPU.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 11:27:43 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

It kinda depends on your gaming "style." If you play Minecraft, and games like that, you don't need anything too outrageous.
Offline AKwyn  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 5:03:03 PM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Originally Posted by: Blackhawk8100 Go to Quoted Post
It kinda depends on your gaming "style." If you play Minecraft, and games like that, you don't need anything too outrageous.

Err... You do know he wants a gaming PC right; I still say 4 cores is the minimum for most games as they're utilizing lots of calculations like I said before.

Even if you are playing Minecraft, one core will limit you severely; plus a dual/quad core CPU will help with the GPU; A R9 290X will be bottlenecked with a one core CPU.

EDIT: Found this, Minecraft is multi-core. http://www.minecraftforu...-cpu-support-will?page=6

Edited by user Monday, May 11, 2015 5:19:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 8:14:09 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

alrighty then! go with AK!
Offline venser  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:19:30 AM(UTC)
venser

Man
United States

Right on, appreciate the input. My main goal was to render fast and allow all particles to show even if there are 23 other people on my screen casting spells on a creature without slowing me down. I definitely want the SSD/HDD combo, sounds like the best way to go for what I want to do.

Doesn't AMD offer triple core processors? would there be a reason to go for more? I know 4 is becoming a big standard these days, but I can most likely get away with great quality dual cores. Most of the games I want to play were programed 10+ years ago. But if I switched to play GMod I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to not have 4 cores even in simple rendering games.

I have always been a pretty big AMD fan, Intel was just too pricey for me and I assumed I would get generally the same performance with whichever route I wanted to go, either AMD or Intel.

#Vapor #Syber #Giveaway

Edited by user Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:20:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline AKwyn  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:58:17 AM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Trust me, you're going to want a seamless experience. A 4 core processor is still able to render trillions of people and in games like GMod, ensure that you won't get frustrated because it's able to calculate physics like butter. I don't want your games to run like molasses, especially since the MMoRPGs are resource intensive.
Offline venser  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:21:24 AM(UTC)
venser

Man
United States

My problem is I love Everquest 2, but it's a dual core programmed game, so in essence it will only perform so well with more than 2. On the other hand I want to play some new games which perfo better on quad cores. Sounds like I'll be stickin with quad core,hmmmm.Thanks for your input, greatly appreciate it.

#CyberPower #Giveaway

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:56:15 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

8 Cores if you want to be a boss.
Offline ilikecheats123  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:26:21 AM(UTC)
ilikecheats123

yep, it's right 8 cores is best. you can be play any type of game very very smoothly smile