Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline venser  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:07:04 PM(UTC)
venser

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've always been curious about net cards. I typically opt out to hard wire 99.9% of the time, but are there net cards that actually show results in terms of boosting performance? Most everything as far as internet speed is determined by your ISP, but do certain net cards actually help reduce bottle-necking and increase performance even during busy hours while bandwidth may be distributed amoung the ISP customers? Would spending more money be a better route than just an on-board ethernet plug in?

#Vapor #CyberPower #Giveaway

Offline JOMA  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 12:01:18 AM(UTC)
JOMA

Unless you're talking about very high speeds I don't think you'll see any noticeable difference between the consumer grade products. This was supposed to be the holy grail for network adapters but I don't recall it being a game-changer:

http://www.newegg.com/Pr...spx?Item=N82E16833189002

My onboard NICs can max my connection so I can't really ask for much more.

Offline venser  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 12:42:41 AM(UTC)
venser

Man
United States

Bah out of stock! hehe. I figured as much, no reason to get something super expensive if I'm only running 60mbps (7mb for me). If I had some sexy fiber optics I would consider I suppose.

#Giveaway #CyberPower

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:31:27 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Go Wifi and have a great WiFi transmitter, I am forgetting the actual name xD
Offline AKwyn  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 3:20:49 AM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: venser Go to Quoted Post
I've always been curious about net cards. I typically opt out to hard wire 99.9% of the time, but are there net cards that actually show results in terms of boosting performance? Most everything as far as internet speed is determined by your ISP, but do certain net cards actually help reduce bottle-necking and increase performance even during busy hours while bandwidth may be distributed amoung the ISP customers? Would spending more money be a better route than just an on-board ethernet plug in?

#Vapor #CyberPower #Giveaway

Nah. Internal NIC's have gotten good enough that an external NIC is redundant unless you want to make your computer act like a bridge. It won't gain you any notable performance increase as it's just something that gives you access on the internet. Same with internal sound, computers are powerful enough that it doesn't make sense to have an external sound card, especially considering the advancements we've made in onboard sound.

It doesn't make sense to have external anything nowadays.

Offline Blackhawk8100  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:31:14 PM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

Wifi!
Offline venser  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 10:25:49 PM(UTC)
venser

Man
United States

I like Wifi on my phone. I think it's the only Wifi service I utilize, otherwise I always go hard wired for gaming. Plus my gf has a tablet which has no services, but we take advantage of Wifi and other free texting apps / phone apps.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 12:15:14 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

You have to have strong wifi. I game and still have dencent Ping and low latency. AL depends on the router and wireless transmitter really.
Offline venser  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 12:41:37 AM(UTC)
venser

Man
United States

Still, if I have the option to hardwire being so close to my modem I see literally no reason to be connected wirelessly. Even with all of the super equipment to maximize WiFi strength I just don't see why you would use your main gaming decice wireless. Solid connection with being wired and the only hic ups would be either your ISP or some cord issues. I have a dedicated ISP though, so I don't share bandwidth with anyone with their service, I get 120mbps with them as well (12mbps) it's pretty darn amazing.
Offline Blackhawk8100  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 2:08:53 AM(UTC)
Blackhawk8100

Man
United States

What is that link?
Offline Super Dave  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 4:16:49 PM(UTC)
Super Dave

Groups: Administrators, Registered

A SPAM link - thanks for the heads-up!
Offline acarzt  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2015 2:52:05 PM(UTC)
acarzt

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hmmm... There is a lot of misinformation and bad information in here...

If you are a serious gamer, then WIRED is the ONLY way to go. If you are a casual gamer, then wifi will be just fine.

A network adapter of ANY kind can only impact the connection between your computer and the immediately connected device (likely your home router/switch)

Bandwidth is not important at all. Gaming uses anywhere from .5mbps to 2mbps. Bandwidth becomes important when you are doing live video streams.

Latency is everything in gaming. And you can ONLY control the latency to your cable modem (or whatever service you have) Once it goes out onto your provider's network, it is out of your hands. You can try to do QoS, but their network will ignore your tags and treat it like any other traffic.

If you are experiencing high latency you can do some troubleshooting... Do a speed test under normal circumstances, it will show you the latency to whichever server is selected. Now plug directly into your cable modem and re-run the test to the same server. If the Latency is drastically reduced, then you know there is congestion on your home network (Your router/switch). Some of the newer better routers can prioritize your gaming traffic so it gets onto your ISP's network faster.

BUT, if you connect your computer directly to your cable modem and still have high latency, then either something on your computer is slowing you down, or it's just your ISP. You can call them and complain and they won't know what you're talking about and you'll just have to live with it :-) You can go to the task manager, click on "Performance" and then "Resource Monitor" Click on "Network" and look at your network activity. If your computer is the problem, you will see it in here.

Hope that helps!

Also, about the Audio comment made earlier... If the onboard audio sounds good to you, than yay for you because you are going to save a LOT of money... If you want more, then you're gonna want to spend a little coin on a good DAC, Headphone Amp, and of course some quality headphones!

thanks 1 user thanked acarzt for this useful post.
thekeemo on 10/16/2015(UTC)