Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline paul  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:46:35 AM(UTC)
News

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Samsung is always talking about the next big thing, though barring any surprises, the company is out of major product releases for the rest of the year. That means the next big thing is coming in 2015, and already there are hints that Samsung is planning to make a big splash with its successor to the Galaxy S5, its current flagship handset and one of the most popular smartphones in the world. Since it's never too early to speculate, let's go over what we know (or don't know) about the Galaxy S6.

Officially, we know absolutely nothing about the Galaxy S6. Unofficially, however, we're anxious to see what Samsung has in store, because it could be the most significant smartphone release in the company's history. That's a big statement given the lack of information, but let us explain.

Galaxy S5
Rumor has it the Galaxy S6 will look completely different from previous Galaxy devices, like the S5 shown above

Citing unnamed sources, Sammobile says the Galaxy S6 is in the early stages of development, which itself isn't earth shattering news. However, the sources say Samsung is running "Project Zero" as the codename. That's significant because it deviates from Samsung's pattern of using letters for codenames, like Project J (Galaxy S4) Project H (Galaxy Note 3), Project K (Galaxy S5), and so forth.

Why the change? Apparently Samsung is building an entirely new device. Whereas the Galaxy S5 was an extension of the Galaxy S4 and on down the line, the Galaxy S6 will be such a big change in design that it warrants a catchy codename like Project Zero to reflect that it's going to be something entirely different.

That might be a disappointment to diehard fans of the Galaxy S series, but after selling less Galaxy S5 devices than expected and posting a 74 percent year-over-year drop in mobile profit last quarter, it's not difficult to see why Samsung is willing to try something brand new.
Offline mernerion  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:45:39 AM(UTC)
mernerion

It would make sense that they would try for a ground breaking new phone. But I still think this is a lack of evidence to provide any solid argument.

Offline sevags  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:34:22 PM(UTC)
sevags

Man
United States

It can't be that good if they are sticking with the S6 name. If it is completely new and different start a new line completely, call it the Galaxy Z1 and start from there. That way if it doesn't do well they would still have a separate Sx line that is market tested.

At this point I think anything truly "different" on a phone are just gimmicks. Curved screens, 3D cameras, and other features people don't want or use. I do like the Note Edge from samsung for being useless and different but they will have to try harder than that on the Zero.

Offline paul_lilly  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:52:06 PM(UTC)
Paul_Lilly

Groups: Administrators, Registered

To clarify, we don't know if Samsung will call its next phone the S6. It's just easier to refer to it that way for now until we know what's in store.

Offline starwhite  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 2:57:27 PM(UTC)
starwhite

Man
United States
Location: Rugby ND. WE have a small Ranch house 15 miles outside of town on the open prairie.

I like a company that isn't afraid of innovation. My S5 works great, no complaints. I will be watching with interest to see what they come up with.

Offline KOwen  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:09:15 PM(UTC)
KOwen

My two year contract is up around the time the "S6" comes out so I will be getting one regardless of how mind blowingly different it is. My S3 is starting to show signs of it age. The most annoying of which being my contacts can't be saved into groups anymore.

Offline karanm  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:23:20 PM(UTC)
karanm

The only different phone right now IMO is the Blackberry Passport because of the screen resolution and the amazing keyboard. I'm just waiting for Xmas time to maybe get a deal on it. I've had a few blackberry's and only one android smartphone and I can't wait to go back. What really sold me was when I saw a guy with the phone and he just flicked the phone up and dropped it onto the VCT tile floor from about 5 feet high and picked it up, just to prove to me that it was definitely a Blackberry. 

Offline sevags  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2014 10:31:16 AM(UTC)
sevags

Man
United States

I hope Googles Project Ara takes away further market what from Samsung next year, and starts to erode apples market share.