Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline paul  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:59:56 PM(UTC)
News

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Surprise! AMD has a new chief and her name is Dr. Lisa Su. She replaces Rory Read, 52, who has stepped down as president and CEO as part of a transition plan that will have him support the new boss in an advisory role. Read will remain with AMD through the end of the year, at which point Dr. Su will be flying solo.

Bruce Claflin, chairman of AMD's board of directors, dispelled any notions that there might exist some animosity between AMD and Read, at least publicly. To the contrary, Claflin says that Read and the board have been working on a leadership succession plan together and felt that now was the time for Dr. Su to take over the role as president and CEO.

Rory Read and Dr. Lisa Su

"I am deeply honored to have this opportunity to lead AMD during this important time of transformation. Our world-class technology assets combined with the incredible talent and passion of the AMD team provide us with a unique opportunity to shape the future of computing. I look forward to expanding on the strong foundation we have built under Rory's leadership as we develop industry-leading technologies and products for a diverse set of markets to drive sustainable and profitable growth," Dr. Su said in a statement.

Read replaced Dirk Meyer as CEO of AMD back in August 2011. While not particularly animated or, quite frankly, all that interesting to listen to during keynotes and other public speaking events, Read wasn't brought in to put on a show. His job was to promote the AMD brand and build connections with other industry players, and to his credit, that's what he did during the past three years. He also returned the company to non-GAAP profitability, reduced operating expenditures by about 30 percent (since 2012), and maintained a cash reserve of around $1 billion during his tenure.

Having accomplished what he was brought in to do, the promotion of Dr. Su is an opportunity for AMD to gain a fresh perspective on the market and continue its growth. Dr. Su brings with her an impressive resume that includes prior experience with Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., Texas Instruments, and IBM, the latter of which she spent 13 years in various engineering and business leadership positions, including VP of the Semiconductor Research and Development Center responsible for the strategic direction of IBM's silicon technologies, joint development alliances, and semiconductor R&D operations.
Offline Dave_HH  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:28:06 PM(UTC)
Dave_HH

Groups: Administrators, Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Wow... did NOT see that coming. Or did I? :)

Offline SamuelCrabb  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:10:43 PM(UTC)
SamuelCrabb

New Architecture inbound

Offline Dave_HH  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:43:05 PM(UTC)
Dave_HH

Groups: Administrators, Editors, Moderator, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Lisa is very smart and totally dialed in. I think she'll do well for AMD.

Offline realneil  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:00:18 PM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

It caught me by surprise,.....but it's probably a good thing.

Offline altshep123  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:47:25 PM(UTC)
altshep123

Oh man, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS! Does that mean we can look forward to 3 decade old technology that doesn't change but still costs a fortune?

I kid... Texas Instruments was responsible for more than just graphing calculators right? Right? I'll be interested to see where she takes the company. Read seemed to do a fine job.

Offline ECouts  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:49:27 PM(UTC)
ECouts

I wonder if they will manage to bring any better tech to the table.

Offline StaticFX  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:34:39 PM(UTC)
StaticFX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Ben wrote:

Oh man, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS! Does that mean we can look forward to 3 decade old technology that doesn't change but still costs a fortune?

I kid... Texas Instruments was responsible for more than just graphing calculators right? Right? I'll be interested to see where she takes the company. Read seemed to do a fine job.

lol TI has done quite a lot.. from Automotive to Telecom... :)

Offline altshep123  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:35:11 PM(UTC)
altshep123

I know, I was just poking fun since the calculators are what most people recognize the name from : )

Offline GregZeng1  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:42:33 PM(UTC)
GregZeng1

From an Australian (anti-female, anti-colored) perspective, this means disaster for any company, USA, multi-national or not. Hopefully this Australian thinking, which in my opinion, is quite wrong. I'm surprised that no other comments have been made by this very strange management appointment, on the context of gender, skin-color in a Caucasian culture.

Offline Darthlik  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 11:08:29 AM(UTC)
Darthlik

I'm hoping that she will get AMD on track and making money again.