Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline altshep123  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 10:38:28 AM(UTC)
altshep123

Groups: Registered

For the past week my primary HDD has been unstable.  At any time my computer would just randomly lock up (under light or heavy load).  It's guaranteed to happen if I leave it idle for a few hours (it will be unable to come out of sleep).  I ran chkdsk and it gets to stage 4 and then freezes at 13% on the same file.  I let it sit for 36hrs and it didn't budge so I reluctantly forced a shutdown. I deleted that file.

This morning I tried to use HD Tune Pro as an alternative and again the computer locked up about 2/3'rds into the scan.  My question for the community: Is the HDD shot or is there a way to fix this?  If I wipe this drive (which has my OS on it : (  will I be able to recover the drive for use?  Thankfully I've been able to back up all my important information to a second drive, but this one is almost twice as large and I'd hate to lose it.

Thoughts? Recommended software or tools?

Thanks guys.

Offline rrplay  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 11:59:48 AM(UTC)
rrplay

Since you ran the Windows chkdsk and allowed it to attempt  to fix those errors as mentioned, Sounds like you may have some bad sectors on that drive.   Check to see if  the manufacture has some tools.  Seagate does (Seagate tools) that may fix it for you drive, it does take a long time.What make and model ?

There is also Spin Rite that was popular to fix bad sectors along with HDD regenerator that I had used many times before to save a few.
 Either way best to make backups of anything important, and see if it is a bad sector issue and if fixed you may be able to use it again,Should you reinstall Windows take the time to perform a full format and not the quick format.

Offline altshep123  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 12:18:18 PM(UTC)
altshep123

Thanks for the reply rrplay.  I actually have spin right ready to test, I just haven't yet since HD Tune failed already.  If they do two different things I'll give it a shot.  I came across HDD Regenerator but it looks like it's $100 and I can buy a larger new HDD for that price.

This is a seagate ST375052 8AS.  I have their "SeaTools" as well.  I'll give it a go if it's going to do something different than the other tools.  After HD Tune Pro locked up the same way chkdsk did I got pretty discouraged and all these hard restarts worry me.

Offline rrplay  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 1:11:17 PM(UTC)
rrplay

Yeah that HDD Regenerator when I bought it was $89.00  but saved a few drives and data for other folks.

That  SeaTools  for your drive is def worth a shot, it will report the errors it fixes. may be the  better option than messing with Spin Rite and it is FREE and will also take a long time to run.

Offline altshep123  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:47:46 AM(UTC)
altshep123

This mornings update shows no further progress.  Even SeaTools locks up.  I tried running a "fix all, long" test and it didn't even get on its feet.  A fast test got a little into the scan and the computer locked up as it has so often.

Are issues like this permanent or can they be resolved with a format?  If I wipe this drive (and my OS) and try to reinstall will it just freeze during an install because the HDD itself is shot?

Offline realneil  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:23:01 PM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

If you got your DATA off of it then the best thing to do is wipe it, delete the partition, and redo the drive.
Then, test the crap out of it.
If it still doesn't pass tests after that, just get a newer drive.

BTW: Seagate had a recall on some of their 750GB drives a few years ago.
They replaced two of mine for free and paid for shipping both ways.

Offline altshep123  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:24:57 PM(UTC)
altshep123

Thanks Neil, this is what I'll do the moment the monster that Marco is building arrives.  I've given up on salvaging it for now.  This past week has seen a barrage of tech failures with ports going out on my motherboard preventing me from being able to use mic/speakers or camera (bad news when most of my work is telecommute), 4 out of 6 USB ports no longer functioning, then the hard drive issue.  All of which just compounds my excitement over the timing of HH's giveaway.

I'm assuming a complete wipe won't do anything to repair the damage, but maybe once it's not sharing the same space as my operating system SeaTools will be able run properly and isolate the corrupted cluster doing whatever it does to make the rest useable again.  And I'll DEFINITELY look into the recall, though this drive is slightly larger than 750gb.

Offline rrplay  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:29:02 AM(UTC)
rrplay

Hey Ben have you  tried this firmware update from Seagate ? http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/213891en?language=en_US  for your ST3750528AS HDD? 
Pretty sure I did the same on some of those 1TB  7200.12 series a while ago and  recall using the CD .iso method for the firmware update . Got several of  them to be usable for data storage after running with the SeaGate tools to remedy the cluster.  btw  if you are able to identify the cluster in relation to MBs you may be able to reformat and re- partition around them to be able to use the drive at a later date. But after all of that and your system still has boot and run issue it is likely not worth keeping it online and cause further grief after getting the awesome HH rig  But could be worth a shot.  or get a better one.
Either way congrats again on your win [B] and pretty sure you already have some awesome plans for it too. [:)]

Offline realneil  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:34:11 PM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

Ben,

If there are that many problems with the PC, maybe your power supply is going bad? That would cause all sorts of weird stuff to happen.

Offline altshep123  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 9:50:36 AM(UTC)
altshep123

@realneil  It is a strong possibility the PSU is the root issue.  I haven't turned the computer all weekend, save once to move a file into dropbox, for fear of causing more damage.  Right before I lost my media jacks, my speakers went crazy, humming and crackling and oscillating in volume.  I unplugged them and shut down as quick as I could, but upon restart they were non responsive.  That made me think power supply or short somewhere.