Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline paul  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:16:59 AM(UTC)
News

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Shopping a Cadillac? Before you sign a loan agreement on a 2014 model, you may want to consider holding off for the 2015 Cadillacs. That's because General Motors (GM) is working with Powermat, a company that GM's venture capital division funded with $5 million back in January 2011, to offer wireless cell phone charging in some of next year's models.

According to a report in the Detroit Free Press, the first vehicles to be outfitted with Powermat technology will be the 2015 Cadillac ATS sedan and coup. As 2014 comes to a close, GM will also implement wireless charging capabilities in its 2015 Cadillac CTS sedan and 2015 Cadillac Escalade.

Cadillac Inside

Over time, Powermat CEO Ran Poliakine envisions Powermat technology being standard in all GM cars. In the meantime, it's just a select few.

Using the wireless charging technology, drivers and passengers can toss their mobile devices in a special bin behind the center console panel that opens with the press of a button. Inside is Powermat's rubbermized mat, and as long the device being thrown in supports wireless charging, it will be juiced up while you sit back and enjoy the ride.

Thanks to Bluetooth technology, you can still use your phone while it's in the charging bin -- just connect it to the Cadillac User Experience (CUE) infotainment system via Bluetooth and you're in business.
Offline thabusdriv3r  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:52:00 AM(UTC)
ThaBusDriv3r

Sounds like something that I can install in my current vehicle with a 3rd party manufacturer, Duracell, Energizer... I wonder if it supports phones that have cases around them because most phones do now. I currently can't touch Galaxy S devices together due to my case, but that's probably a different type of technology but a similar concept. What's great about this is that I don't need to attach anything to my phone that communicates with the mat (like a adhesive plate that goes to the back of my phone). Will see what people think about it next year when they purchase their expensive high tech Cadillac.

Offline SeanHays  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:02:29 PM(UTC)
SeanHays

It should work fine with a case on the phone. My note 3 charges with wireless through my otterbox case.

Offline ThomasTaege  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:02:52 PM(UTC)
ThomasTaege

I want this!

Offline RobertBoone  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:33:37 PM(UTC)
RobertBoone

I can do it in my 2006 Chevy Cobalt right now. Why wait? :)

Offline vpalukuru  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:48:58 AM(UTC)
vpalukuru

Powermat is not a complete solution for wireless charging. We have to plug the powermat and then place our mobile phone on the powermat.  Not all phones supports charging like this.