Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ThaBusDriv3r  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 7:21:52 PM(UTC)
ThaBusDriv3r

Groups: Registered

I used to think that if you had a great graphics card, you can run great games with nice graphics. Recently, I've come slamming into a roadblock that is very frustrating. I currently have an AMD Radeon HD 7950 (I know, it's not crazy good), but I thought it would get the job done. It probably would if my RAM wasn't so slow and small. My 4GB DDR2 Ram is starting to show what my PC can really do, and that is crap. My question is what's more important for 60% gaming / 40% business, RAM or Graphics Card?

Offline rrplay  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 11:42:23 PM(UTC)
rrplay

Hi .  and which CPU at what speed do you have to go with that AMD Radeon HD 7950 and 4GB DDR2 Ram? 

Offline ThaBusDriv3r  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:03:10 AM(UTC)
ThaBusDriv3r

3.0Ghz AMD Phenom x2 Quad Core

Offline JasonBolla  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:54:05 PM(UTC)
JasonBolla

I'm not an expert, but I'd say your RAM in this situation probably needs an upgrade over your GPU.

Offline jameyscott  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:44:33 PM(UTC)
jameyscott

I know it may not be ideal, but DDR2 is quite an old platform... If you can find a cheap DDR2 kit then by all means upgrade to 6-8GB, but I would highly suggest upgrading your motherboard and CPU as well and get on DDR3. Unless you plan on upgrading to DDR4 when it comes out later this year. ;)

Offline nfs3freak  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:06:52 AM(UTC)
nfs3freak

As stated above, it'd be a worthwhile investment to upgrade your motherboard, which then means upgrading your CPU and RAM. From there, if you're able to afford it, go for the GPU as well. It definitely will be worth the up

Offline ThaBusDriv3r  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:13:18 PM(UTC)
ThaBusDriv3r

Totally with you on that. I'm saving up money to get the 3 combo of a MOBO, RAM, and CPU. It's just that I didn't think that RAM was a huge issue until now. I can't believe I survived this long as a gamer with DDR2

Offline ThaBusDriv3r  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:15:01 PM(UTC)
ThaBusDriv3r

Cheap, everywhere I go and everywhere I look on Craigslist, there around the same price as DDR3s I can get now. Most DDR2s have been thrown away or recycled due to it being obsolete. I thought about upgrading the DDR2, but thought that was a waste because I'm planning on upgrading the MOBO, CPU, and RAM. So I just need to stick with this DDR2 junk until I upgrade.

Offline nfs3freak  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:21:27 PM(UTC)
nfs3freak

Stick with it if you have to for the time being. Yeah, DDR2 is well behind since DDR4 has been discussed quite a bit in the last 6 months (although I believe it's not becoming fully out til next year for adoption, but that may not be accurate), DDR3 is the way to go. I wish the prices weren't so high. My two sticks of 8gigs of DDR3 RAM a year ago was the price then as it is now for 1 stick of 8gigs. Save up, good sir!

Offline RidgeMaurer  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:12:49 PM(UTC)
RidgeMaurer

I game on only 4gb of DDR3 and it seems to work well enough for most games.  graphics card is most like more important, but that being said they go hand in hand to running games.  you could have the best graphics card in the world but if you have a small amount of slow ram the games won't run well or at all.

Offline ThaBusDriv3r  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:20:39 PM(UTC)
ThaBusDriv3r

Yep, I'm totally in that boat. Just that's it's being DDR2 is most likely the issue. Because of that, my MOBO and CPU needs to be switched as well.

Offline MADSKILLZ412  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 2:12:30 AM(UTC)
MADSKILLZ412

Groups: Administrators

You never want to have bottlenecks in your PC. If you have the money you can get about 16 gigs of ram from amazon for about $100-120, but 8 gigs will get the job done. Your issue is the ram right now, because most games, not all, but most require a minimum of 8 gigs. Hope this was helpful.

Offline iByTheWay  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 11:17:27 PM(UTC)
iByTheWay

Since DDR2 RAM is pretty old, you'll find yourself spending a little bit more on it than you would on DDR3 of the same gb. (8gb DDR2 compared to 8gb DDR3) which could get a bit expensive. I was looking into a simple upgrade from 6gb to 8gb on my old PC and was looking at spending over $120 for 2x4gb DDR2 RAM. Whether you believe it's worth it is on you.

As far as what's more important, it depends on what you're playing, I'd assume. I know MMO's like World of Warcraft aren't especially taxing on your GPU but are more CPU-heavy games, so a better CPU/more RAM would definitely be a better investment than a better GPU. Either way, 4gb is MIGHTY low for current gen games.