Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline paul  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:59:39 AM(UTC)
News

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Things took a turn for the awkward when a CNBC host accidentally "outed" Apple CEO Tim Cook as being openly gay. It occurred during a discussion on gay CEOs in which Jim Stewart, a columnist for The New York Times, visited the set of "Squawk on the Street" to discuss his upcoming column on John Browne, the former CEO of BP and the first CEO of a Fortune 500 company to publicly acknowledge being gay.

During the discussion, Stewart says he was surprised that sexual orientation was still an issue that seems to trump financial performance when it comes to evaluating CEOs. Of the "many" gay CEOs he reached out to, he says he received an "extremely cool reception" and that not a single one gave permission for their names to be used.

Apple
Image Source: Flickr (textlad)

That's when the talk took an unexpected turn.

"I think Tim Cook is fairly open about the fact he's gay at the head of Apple', isn't he?" the show's co-host Simon Hobbs asked. In the ensuing silence, a pin dropping to the floor would have sounded like a boulder crashing through a glass structure.

"Oh, dear, was than error? I thought he was open about it," Hobbs said, thereby breaking the uncomfortable silence he created.

"No," Stewart answered. "I don't want to comment on anybody who might or might not be. I'm not going to out anybody. I called a lot of people and no one at any major company would allow their names to be used."

Whether or not Cook is gay, he's never publicly declared one way or the other. He is, however, a supporter of gay rights. He once delivered a speech at the U.N. on gay rights and racism, and earlier this month he applauded the White House's decision to ban LGBT discrimination at Federal contractors.
Offline TomHeckman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 8:29:33 AM(UTC)
TomHeckman

Why is this news... who cares ?

Offline SethColaner  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:27:07 AM(UTC)
SethColaner

I actually thought he was openly gay, too.

Offline DennisWilliams  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:48:05 AM(UTC)
DennisWilliams

Gay or not who cares? I don't think a CEO being gay is a big deal in anyway. And it's not like he was gay and this guy outed him.

Offline paul_lilly  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:56:31 PM(UTC)
Paul_Lilly

Groups: Administrators, Registered

If you read the article, you'll discover that the answer to "Who cares?" are the many gay CEOs who still feel pressured to remain closeted, which is unfortunate.

Offline Mordymion  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 9:45:02 PM(UTC)
Mordymion

Man
United States

Well, a good portion of Apple's consumer base is Christian, and quite a few of them care. I don't get why either, but that's the way it is.

Offline digitaldd  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 2:23:26 PM(UTC)
digitaldd

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Didn't one of the other sites like mashable, valleywag or huffpost out him years ago.