Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ray  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:14:05 PM(UTC)
News

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Western Digital is no stranger to the media streaming universe, and this week it's investing in that universe once more with a new set-top box. The new WD TV Play is priced to rival the low-cost Roku box, with a $69.99 MSRP providing a fairly stout amount of functionality. There's built-in Wi-Fi, of course, and portals for Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus, VUDU, SlingPlayer, Spotify, Pandora and Facebook (amongst others). Customers can play content located on any computer or network attached storage that has a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) server, and content can be streamed at full 1080p resolution. WD TV Play's new remote control features pre-programmed buttons, giving customers one-touch access to their favorite apps.

If that's too much effort, just download the free WD TV Remote app for iPod touch, iPad, iPhone or Android.
Offline sevags  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:25:34 PM(UTC)
sevags

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I like options so I am glad more companies are making devices like this, however i'm not sure WD belongs in this space especially seeing as it doesn't come with any onboard storage... and Google TV 2 by the likes of Vizio can be had for $99 which does everything the WD TV does along with web browsing.

I also don't like the model being printed on the front with what seems like a redundant "WD WD"