Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Lev_Astov  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:52:39 PM(UTC)
Lev_Astov

Groups: Registered

I would miss it. There aren't enough decent alternatives around here and sometimes I just have to have something NOW.

Offline OSunday  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:06:17 PM(UTC)
OSunday

Best Buy has the potential to be one of the most successful tech/consumer electronics stores there is but they need to fix their absolutely RIDICULOUS pricing of products and services

Geek Squad, the Home Theater installation and Car electronics shop all offer some of the best services around where I live, their just not anywhere near competitively priced.

I hope it doesn't completely go out of business but gets near there and ends up being bought out by Newegg or Amazon or something that could utilize the potential Best Buy has, but I know thats just wishful thinking

Offline Super Dave  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:16:24 PM(UTC)
Super Dave

Groups: Administrators, Registered

As long as Fry's and NewEgg remain, I'm good![:D]

Offline eunoia  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:39:06 PM(UTC)
eunoia

Offline rapid1  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:58:58 PM(UTC)
rapid1

United States

This is a issue that really has many sides. The first as mentioned as a knee jerk reaction is BestBuy is not needed. There is much to validate this as electronics and online purchases especially go hand in hand. I have done business on the web in this regard for many years.

The thing here is BestBuy is the largest single brick and mortar retailer in the country. Therefore they impact prices and a large amount of the general use them and are at the least somewhat satisfied. I know, I know, but I am not the general public and neither are you. So let them make there own decisions.

As mentioned by several people on here BestBuy has one use at least for me. I will go in and look at things. No I don't buy anything from them but there a decent showroom for a pretty wide amount of devices. SO I check things out at BB then go buy them elsewhere from time to time at a much better price.

If BB wants to survive they have to go through some major changes. The problem is as far as a business model goes when you go through major changes it changes to much for it to work any more. Yes Fry's, and Micro center are still here (Micro center could also be somewhat questionable) and as far as it goes I went to Microcenter the other day for 2 120cm fans because I needed them for a customers computer. I would have rather gone to Fry's but there is not one on the NW side of Atlanta only on the NE and direct North of the city.

Either way I would not cry at the loss of BB, but I think they make up a lot of slack in the market for the general consumer. I know it is kind of negative to watch others over pay for things, but you have to realize that in the large picture that affects the market in general, and mainly in prices as well as volumes of device types. In the end we generally get a better price because of it. If a distributor has a large brick and mortar that takes a large amount of inventory off of there hands, then they can afford to sell said device cheaper because there quota has then been met. That is how BB affects the market!

In the end having a large distributor leave the market affects it and probably negatively. The reason Circuit city did not do so very much is because BB/Etc. had to a large amount already taken there business. The loss of CC therefore had a very minor impact on the market. As far as it all goes CC corporate is still there and doing fine in the other ventures they had (Mainly Carmax) from what I understand!

Offline mac734  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 11:36:01 AM(UTC)
mac734

I never thought I'd miss a Best Buy, until one day on my way to photograph a wedding I forgot to bring two spare lithium ion batteries for my camera! They saved my ass that day, for sure.