Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline coolice  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:25:02 PM(UTC)
coolice

Groups: Registered
Man

Hey guys, I know I've not been active the past couple of months. I study and work full time. On most days, I leave the house at 6 am (public transportation) and I dont arrive back home till almost midnight, and I crash.

I've built a couple of computers for school as I also work there under the schools marketing/outreach team making videos etc (my second job, which is part time, yeep, 2 jobs and full time school, I have no time haha).

I built a Sandy Bridge desktop to be used as an overnight renderer machine,

Specs:

Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Gene Z
CPU: Intel i5 2310
GPU: Gigabyte 512b AMD HD 6450
RAM: Corsair XMS5 1333 mhz, 8gb (2x4gb)

When I power on the desktop, on the motherboard itself, I keep on getting an error code: 34, which is: cpu post memory initialization

I have no idea whats wrong, any help would do.

Please advise if you have the time,

Thanks,

Coolice

Offline coolice  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:26:16 PM(UTC)
coolice

Man

The motherboard was purchased used. I'll be at school later on, I'll try clearning the CMOS and try.

All the other parts are new

Offline rrplay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:29:42 PM(UTC)
rrplay

coolice wrote:

The motherboard was purchased used. I'll be at school later on, I'll try clearning the CMOS and try.

All the other parts are new

hey coolice good to see ya !  yep clear and Check that bios >>load system defaults grab your favorite version of memtest [live cd]  get a cup of coffee or something  and check the XMP and volts on the Corasir and bios they are correct and try a single stick.to post if not ??

if not check this out could be a time-saver ya might not think so but then again..?...

>> look here<<

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4309-ASUS-Maximus-IV-GENE-Z.-Did-I-get-the-wrong-memory

Quote:
Remove power from the board (switch off the PSU at AC). Remove the CPU

from the socket and clear CMOS. Place a single memory module in the DIMM

slot furthest from the CPU. Insert the CPU, remount the cooler and then

see if the board will POST.

-Raja

you'll want to check with memtest <,whatever >.

&& let us know how it goes [:)]

****edit  let us know the specs of the ram and the PSU info just 'cuz :)

Offline AKwyn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:06:00 PM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Do what rrplay says. Usually these memory issues are usually the fault of the CPU or the fault of the memory sticks, but it's usually the fault of the CPU. In any case you might want to try remounting the CPU and making sure the bens aren't bent. One bent pin means real trouble for you and it may mean the fault of your problem.

It's understandable if you don't want to remount. I mean you have to reapply the thermal-paste, reattach the cooler, it's tough. I've done it a few times and I've wasted a few thermal paste tubes remounting the cooler but it's understandable if you don't want to remount.

Anyways, good luck; hope I and rrplay can help you further if any further problems pop up.

Offline omegadraco  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:06:33 PM(UTC)
omegadraco

Wow it sounds like you have you hands full with all that work and school. I know the feeling full time school, job, and children take up all my time. I agree what what rrplay has to say here the other thing you can try is if you have open memory slots try them instead most boards don't care which ones you use and the slot may be no good. Let us know how you testing goes.

Be sure all your power cables are seated properly to the mobo as well I have seen crap like this happen on motherboards that took a 20 pin ATX cable and additional 4 pin cable by the CPU where the 4 pin was not plugged in.

Offline coolice  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2011 11:33:09 AM(UTC)
coolice

Man

Hey all, 

Thanks for the advice. The problem was with the motherboard, since it was used, the previous owner had toyed around with the memory clocks. My under powered 1333 mhz ram was being overclocked to almost 2133mhz (speculation) haha. At one point, after i accidentally touched one of the memory sticks, IT WAS HOT!!. 

So I cleared the cmos, defaulted the bios settings and voila, she worked like a champ. 3 days of running prime 95, the cpu averages out at 58 degrees celcius on full load and about 22-25 degrees when idle. WIN!

thanks for your quick answers!! 

Offline omegadraco  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:42:34 PM(UTC)
omegadraco

Ahhh, that makes sense now... Glad you got it figured out.

Probably would make sense to clear the CMOS on any used board you buy in the future.

Offline AKwyn  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2011 6:46:58 PM(UTC)
AKwyn

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Ah... Funny how overclocked memory timings can do weird stuff to your memory. Anyway, glad your system is okay coolice; and glad that it was resolved by something as simple as clearing the CMOS; will certainly be more careful when it comes to boards I buy from other people...

Offline rrplay  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 9, 2011 3:25:52 AM(UTC)
rrplay

coolice wrote:
... At one point, after i accidentally touched one of the memory sticks, IT WAS HOT!!.

Always nice to see coolice around here and glad to help out .YeeoooWW with his remark about the ram being a HOT !

guess that's why they put those heatisink thingy's on them these days.[:)]

colice [Mark] may have singed a few fingers before in another thread around here while  checking how hot mem stikx can get..

yep nothing like some hands on.

By the way some guys run Prime95 for a long time to check ..nothing  wrong with that.Suppose you can check it out and heat things up a bit quicker using IntelBurnIn or LinX all threads >> Max settings [mem]  >> minimum  5 passes  to check clocks &  stability. >> Burnt pinky's optional.