Super Dave
2011-05-29T21:25:51Z

How does this Smart Response Technology work, and how does the motherboard/processor use the SSD?

jonation
2011-05-30T10:10:27Z

genius! this is great.

SammyHayabuza
2011-05-30T10:21:18Z

Super Dave wrote:

How does this Smart Response Technology work, and how does the motherboard/processor use the SSD?

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Z68-Express-Chipset-With-Smart-Response-Technology/

and I think it wont be that much expensive ,I expect it in $250 range or less.

realneil
2011-05-30T10:55:56Z

Odds are that this will be normal fare in a year because everyone is going to want the performance boost, and having it built-in means that it will work, and be easy to set up. Board makers will provide whatever is popular too. Of course, this assumes that the on-board SSD version performs as well as one that's not, and I'll be looking for reviews here on HH.

Intel's Smart Response Technology can work with up to 40GB SSD's, and now I wonder if there will be much difference between using 20GB as opposed to 40GB? (does size really matter?) The final price of having it already built-in to the Mainboard will be a factor too. If any of you buy into this right away, I'd like to have you post on your results.

Inspector
2011-05-30T11:31:22Z

O it better let us load an OS on to it! :D

Its pretty cool though :)

omegadraco
2011-05-30T11:51:59Z

Sweet... one less drive bay taken up.

realneil
2011-05-30T12:49:24Z

Inspector wrote:

it better let us load an OS on to it

A Win-7 installation would just about use up a 40GB drive, but this Smart Response Technology uses the SSD in a Hybrid fashion, effectively making it a cache for a larger drive that's also installed. Technically, the OS is installed onto the larger drive and the mainboard's chipset serves up the files that you use the most because they're stored on the SSD. The more you use the computer, the faster it gets, because it "learns" your usage patterns and stores that data in the faster Solid State Drive.

dadodgeson
2011-05-30T13:28:26Z

20 gig's of cache talk about speedboost

realneil
2011-05-30T13:38:02Z

dadodgeson wrote:

20 gig's of cache talk about speedboost

And it's on a faster SATA data path than SpeedBoost's USB bus.

dadodgeson
2011-05-30T14:38:08Z

when we first had seen these smaller form ssd's i thought it would be for lap top /tab's but this is a good use for them

realneil
2011-05-30T15:06:49Z

Yeah, a 40GB SSD is perfect for UBUNTU Linux. Talk about a fast OS on a fast drive,............

Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2011-05-30T16:55:52Z

This isnt all that different from the Hybrid drives Seagate has been making. A small amount of flash memory plus the mechanical hard drive. Now if Seagate could only get ahold of a decent controller that could handle the complex task of managing that hybrid drive you might see a lot more of these out there. Instead you now have motherboards now going to be headed that way of shoving flash memory and using some fancy chip to handle all the caching. In the end i see this as a fad for desktop mobo's and a mainstream thing for laptops as laptops need all the performance boost they can get.

realneil
2011-05-30T17:43:45Z

Drago wrote:

This isnt all that different from the Hybrid drives Seagate has been making.

I have a Seagate 7200RPM 500GB hybrid drive. It's a 2.5" small form factor installed into a Dell Notebook PC. It has 4GB of Cache RAM and it has the capability to learn your usage patterns too. It stores your most frequently used files in flash memory to speed up the system. It's faster than the 5400RPM drive that came in the Laptop, but not Earth shattering at all.

rrplay
2011-05-30T19:53:17Z

It would be very beneficial for those that work on a project for hours on end to have those files [working / build  directories ] cached to the faster SSD..turned into blink of the eye can alleviate a bit of user fatigue as well.

depending on the need.. 20GB could be plenty.