Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Chipliz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:21:33 AM(UTC)
Chipliz

Groups: Registered

Hello guys, I joined the forum because yesterday I purchased an ATi 6950 2GB and, from what I've seen, my perfomance in games is really low when compared to other PC's.

For example, at 1280 x 1024 (I have a small monitor :() and 4x AA, Far Cry 2 at Ultra High Settings gets an average of 40 FPS. I know it's completely playable at that speed, but I just thought it would be much higher.

Another example is Crysis, 1280 x 1024, no AA, Very High settings, 30-40 average FPS.

Is it possible there's a problem with my PC (I did a clean Windows install and downloaded Catalyst 10.12 drivers as soon as I installed the card.

Specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz

RAM - DDR2 Single-Channel 3 GB @ 333 MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard - ASUS P5QC

HDD - 313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAJS-00B4A0 ATA Device (SATA)

Graphics Card - Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5 (latest drivers installed)

I'm guessing the problem could be the RAM or motherboard, but can they really cause a game like Far Cry 2 (which apparently should run at more than 60 FPS maxed out with 4x AA at 1920 x 1080) or Crysis to have such low perfomance?

Thanks in advance guys ;)

Chipliz

P.S: Sorry for my Engish, I'm 15 and from Argentina, so... yeah

Offline realneil  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:29:55 AM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

First, welcome to HotHardware.com.

Is your monitor capable of rendering fast frame-rates? You said it's old. Is it a CRT (TV Style) or an LCD Flat Panel?

Also, I would turn the Ultra High settings down a notch until you can upgrade the rest of your PC. Your frame-rates should go higher then.

I assume that you're running a 32bit version of Windows. 3GB of RAM in single channel mode performs at half the speed as dual channel mode. Try upping the RAM to 4GB and using a 64bit version of Windows that can actually use all of that RAM too.

Offline Marco C  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:15:35 AM(UTC)
Marco C

Groups: Administrators, Editors, Moderator, Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Are you testing with V-Sync disabled?

Offline Chipliz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:16:08 AM(UTC)
Chipliz

My monitor is a 19" LCD, so it's not old (just small :))

V-Sync disabled in both games

I'm guessing the problem must be the RAM, then. If I add 1 more GB of RAM, will it automatically perform at Dual-Channel mode? Also, you said I should play at Very High until I upgraded my system. Besides the RAM, is there any component I should update?

P.S: It seems that turning AA up has no effects while playing (in Crysis, the perfomance was basically the same with no AA and with 8x AA).

Thanks for the info

Chipliz

Offline realneil  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:24:52 AM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

If you're getting unplayable frame-rates with the settings that you're using, then I would turn a few things down until it's acceptable to you.

The RAM issue is a twofold one. If you have a 64bit OS installed, (many of us already do) then it will "see" and use all four Gigs of RAM in dual channel mode, once you install it.

But, if you have a 32bit OS installed, then it will not "see" and use all 4GB of your RAM, but the motherboard will turn on dual channel functionality when the last RAM stick is in there. You'll get the use of about 3.25Gig of the RAM.

If you add more RAM, it should be the same model number as what you already have in there.

As to upgrading other components, you would be better off saving up for a newer platform. Plenty of new AMD CPU/Motherboard combos out there that would really excel and take advantage of all that your new video card is capable of. They aren't too expensive either.

Offline Chipliz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:05:50 PM(UTC)
Chipliz

OK, I'll just update to 64-bit and 4 GB of RAM, then. Thanks mate ;)

P.S: I just ran Far Cry 2 with 8x AA and it got the same results as the 4x AA test.... this is just odd.

Offline rrplay  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:50:51 AM(UTC)
rrplay

Are you familiar with a few utilities like Gpu-Z, Furmark, Ati Overdrive & MsiAfterburner ?

assuming you have the latest ATi drivers installed and so far have been using the Catalyst Overdirve you can also tweak the settings in ATi cards using MSI Afterburner which is based on the Riva tuner engine. I have used the Afterburner app on Ai cards and you can very easily OC & monitor your temps & create several profiles  +++ plus you are able to chart a fan profile really well. Very Easy to do while motioning and running a stress with Furmark .Using these utilities would be pretty useful