Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline UnlikelyAura  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2010 10:39:30 PM(UTC)
UnlikelyAura

Groups: Registered

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I've been back here. Just been busy with school and such ^_^ Anyway, I have an OCD/nit picky type of question.  I recently sent in my RAM to be RMA'd @ OCZ Technology (one stick just quit working-would just lock the pc up at a certain elapsed time, in both windows and outside(MemTest). I believe they will be replacing my RAM with a different but similar model, due to mine being deactivated by now.

RAM I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227181

New replacement RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298

The cool part: it's a 4GB kit compared to a 2 GB kit. The concerning part: the timings.

I will have 2 sticks of the previous RAM plus 2 sticks of the new RAM used in my system. I have my Core 2 Duo overclocked from 2.6 GHz to 3.2 GHz right now, and RAM only set to 800 MHz, maintaining the recommended ratio (I believe I will change the multiplier to allow me to up my RAM's clock a little higher later). My main question is: Any advice for performance reasons.. especially which set of RAM should I have in the first position on the motherboard, and should I just leave the timings to default? Any advice on anything that I've wrote would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. This site has a great forum community.

-Austin

Offline Der Meister  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:51:35 AM(UTC)
Der Meister

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

if you run different speed ram the higher speed ram will lower to match the slower speed

Offline UnlikelyAura  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 10:56:38 AM(UTC)
UnlikelyAura

Yes. I understand this. But, I would rather not lose performance, unless need be. I was wondering what would give me the best performance while keeping my system nice and stable. Either the 5-5-5-15 2 GB kit in the first position due to its faster timings or having the 5-5-5-18 4GB kit in the first position due to it being the largest memory capacity. I'm going to try to clock both at 1066 MHz, or at least as close as I can while having my CPU OC'ed to its ratio.

(On a side note, Der Meister. What do you think of your system right now? I remember the days I used to have a higher end machine than you. : p lol. Was there a noticeable difference with upgrading. I'd sure hope so, because your specs are very respectable. lol. And I'm thinking about getting a SSD around black friday time and hopefully finding a good deal on it. Any words about yours or what to look for or avoid?)

Thanks

Offline realneil  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:13:17 PM(UTC)
realneil

Groups: Administrators, Moderator, Registered
Man

UnlikelyAura wrote:
I was wondering what would give me the best performance while keeping my system nice and stable. Either the 5-5-5-15 2 GB kit in the first position due to its faster timings or having the 5-5-5-18 4GB kit in the first position due to it being the largest memory capacity.

You'll most likely run into stability issues running the two pairs of Ram stick together. If you put the 4GB set in the first position and leave the others out, then you'll get the best performance.

I almost always had issues running mismatched RAM in PC's.

Offline Der Meister  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:33:09 PM(UTC)
Der Meister

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

The SSD is by far the best upgrade I have gotten, along with it and the i7 Its a speedy Computer. As for the ram Id do what realneil said its much better way to go. 

Offline bob_on_the_cob  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:03:30 PM(UTC)
bob_on_the_cob

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man

Yeah 4GBs will get you much more performance than faster 2GBs. Also I have ran mis matched sticks in Jen's PC for years with no issues. Maybe I'm just lucky. They are all Wintec sticks. 2x1GBs and 2x512MBs.