Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline UnlikelyAura  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:51:20 PM(UTC)
UnlikelyAura

Groups: Registered

Hey guys. It's been awhile haha. But, anyway, I have a question.

I'm having the issue that my current windows 7 ult. key isn't genuine.  Well, I know that I can obtain the windows 7 prof. and ult. upgrade keys from school at a good price.  If I were to buy a new upgrade license, could I just enter in the new key in my current OS? I mean.. that's what microsoft wants me to do.. enter a new, valid key. Because I don't really feel like going through and paying more than $150 for a new key.. or paying for an upgrade if everytime I want to reinstall windows, I have to install xp first.. then plop in the upgrade disc.. : /

What's your guys' views on this?

Thanks! Have a good one.

Offline Inspector  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:53:27 PM(UTC)
Inspector

Man

Im not sure if the upgrade will work, you should of never gotten a non genuine one installed in the first place :(. But the upgrade disk is annoying like you said :D i have the prof. upgrade one -.-. i would say get a full copy :D

Offline Super Dave  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:10:28 PM(UTC)
Super Dave

Groups: Administrators, Registered

UnlikelyAura wrote:
I know that I can obtain the windows 7 prof. and ult. upgrade keys from school at a good price.  If I were to buy a new upgrade license, could I just enter in the new key in my current OS?

I have no doubt that a genuine Win7 Ultimate key (full version) will work for you, but an upgrade key I'm not sure of. Do any of your classes at school make you eligible for a FREE Windows OS? 

Offline RyuGTX  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:45:27 PM(UTC)
RyuGTX

There are ways to do a clean install of Windows 7 with an upgrade disc. You can give those a shot if you want.

Offline UnlikelyAura  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:08:11 PM(UTC)
UnlikelyAura

Elaborate, please. lol I'm interested.

Offline Super Dave  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:25:44 PM(UTC)
Super Dave

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Are you looking to do a clean install or SAVE your un-genuine install?

Offline RyuGTX  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:43:45 PM(UTC)
RyuGTX

UnlikelyAura wrote:

Elaborate, please. lol I'm interested.

I just Google searched it and came up with these two sites (among many).

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

Offline 3vi1  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:59:13 PM(UTC)
3vi1

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man

Since it's possible to even do a full install with just an upgrade disk (see previous links), I feel pretty confident that you could just use the upgrade key.  Worse case, you have to re-install clean (but not have to pre-install XP).  If it were me, I'd want to install clean anyway, because tons of "hacked" software you find through BitTorrent and other channels will have trojans/spyware attached.

Next time you want a good OS (and all the apps!) for free, you might want to have a look at Linux or another legal alternative.

Good Luck!

Offline RyuGTX  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:07:54 PM(UTC)
RyuGTX

3vi1 wrote:

Since it's possible to even do a full install with just an upgrade disk (see previous links), I feel pretty confident that you could just use the upgrade key.  Worse case, you have to re-install clean (but not have to pre-install XP).  If it were me, I'd want to install clean anyway, because tons of "hacked" software you find through BitTorrent and other channels will have trojans/spyware attached.

Next time you want a good OS (and all the apps!) for free, you might want to have a look at Linux or another legal alternative.

Good Luck!

You can try just using the upgrade key. But try is the keyword. I only know of this working for Windows Vista because my friend did it. But this worked because there was some sort of loop hole or workaround. Microsoft did not intend for that to happen. I'm sure they won't make that mistake for Windows 7.