Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline UnlikelyAura  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:11:57 PM(UTC)
UnlikelyAura

Groups: Registered

Out of nowhere, my system started to make this noise. And it kind of comes and goes. I opened my case to try to solve where the noise is coming from.  I believe I narrowed it down to the water cooling system.  When it decides to make the nosie, it sounds like chirps, like from what a cricket would make.  Has anyone ever heard of an issue like this? 

If the cooler is going bad for some reason (it's only a year or so old) how much would it cost to replace just one piece?

I don't know much about water cooling, unfortunately.  However, I need to learn lol. I bought my system from Alienware (just for warranty reasons and even still I wish I would've just built from scratch). I'm pretty techy with troubleshooting anything else besides this : / haha figures.  So I guess it's time for me to learn.  I've just been so cautious with it because I dont' know how to install it properly : (

Offline bob_on_the_cob  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:23:28 PM(UTC)
bob_on_the_cob

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man

Sounds like your pump may be on the fritz or something.

Offline nelsoncp21  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:51:33 AM(UTC)
nelsoncp21

I had a fan that did that once. Sounds like it could be a liquid ball bearing in a fan assuming that be the týpe of fans you have. Or it could be in the pump depending on how it's designed.
Offline UnlikelyAura  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:10:17 PM(UTC)
UnlikelyAura

So if I do narrow it down to the pump, can I just replace the pump and not the whole system? I mean how much would that run me?  I read somewhere also that for maintenance of water cooling systems, they need to only be replaced once a year.  I wonder if something does really need replace : /

Offline bob_on_the_cob  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:21:53 PM(UTC)
bob_on_the_cob

Man

If it is a totally closed system then you should never need matainence,

unless of hardware failure. The challenge with putting a new pump in

would be that you will have to figure out the hose size inner not outer

diameter. Then you will have to drain it figure out how to fill it again if it doesn't have a easy fill cap. Get all the air bubbles out because a bubble stuck over the cpu will make it over heat fast.

Anyway long story short pain in the butt. Plus a pump will cost you $60 or so. I would call alienware and see if they will send you a new loop. Some companies are awesome like that. Alienware should be for the price you pay.

If that doesn't work slap a nice aircooler on it and call it a day.

Do check the fans though like nelson said. That's a easy fix that will cost less than $10 and takes 5 minutes. I would just throw your mothers childhood warnings out the window and put your finger on the middle of each fan. If the sound stops when you stop one of them you know its a fan.

Offline UnlikelyAura  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:51:40 AM(UTC)
UnlikelyAura

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  Next time it acts up, I'll have to test the fans.  It's weird because it will come and go randomly.  But either way, I may just end up getting myself a nice aircooler.  Believe it or not, it may be more quiet.  The way they have this set up is that the main rear fan is the cooler for the water cooler.  And they butt up next to each other.  So even tho the water cooling isn't loud, the fan in the back cooling the cooler is very loud. : / haha  So could fix that also.  I guess we'll see. Thanks for the help.