Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline artohard  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:40:56 PM(UTC)
artohard

Groups: Registered

I've heard that some people prefer to remove their Lion Batteries from the laptop lest overcharing will reduce battery lifetime. Is that true? what If I am thinking of my laptop as a desktop replacement, should I consider removing the batteries when I am opn AC power?

thanks,
arto

Offline recoveringknowitall  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:49:11 PM(UTC)
recoveringknowitall

Man

The laptop I'm typing this reply from is my 1st so I'm certainly no expert. It just seems logical to me that since I'm not going anywhere with it anytime soon and running of AC power, that there's no need to have the battery installed. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this and hopefully be more specific!

BTW: Welcome to HotHardware arto!

Offline JeffB  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:34:52 AM(UTC)
JeffB

Welcome to the forums! We're glad you're here!

Batteries are not going to last forever, regardless what you do, but leaving it charged all the time without periodically running it down is not recommended.  I would suggest being sure you run the battery down from time to time, say once a month or so.  I typically use my laptop on the couch while watching TV, so I try to run on battery then to run it down.  When it's at my desk, I leave it plugged in.  I've never had a laptop battery die on me, but I have seen them go bad where they last 15 minutes after a full charge.  I don't think it's necessary to leave the battery out entirely unless you hardly ever use it unplugged.

Offline onemy  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 3:12:11 AM(UTC)
onemy

This effect is small, mainly to see the quality of your battery. I have an HP computer, not the quality, but also bought a piece, whether it is an external power supply or power supply, the computer is running very good. Good luck!