stanzonal
2006-08-11T00:59:57Z
Thanks alot bro! You've been a astronomical amount of help for me. Ill just take this little problem to the processor forums. I got 3-5 days to fix it. Hope you have a great vacation wherever or whatever you vacations are. I need to hit the sack, I gotta fly 10 hours and pilots needs his sleep. Oh and if i dont get ahold of you before i put this beast together thanks alot. And i will send you an update on how it went.

PeAcE BrO
giantjoebot
2006-08-11T04:31:27Z
OK the first thing you did wrong was to just pull off the heat sink and CPU together. Thermal compounds will cause the heat sink to stick to you CPU. So you have to twist the heat sink slightly then more and more until it comes lose. Its kind of like clay, you have to work it a bit tell it sofens up. Its best if you can run your computer with something that is CPU intesive like prime95 to heat it up. Then it slide it off to one side instead of pulling up. You may have damaged your CPU and/or your old motherboard right there. But I haave heard of a lot of people doing this and nothing happened from it.

So you bent a pin, DON'T TOUCH THE PINS! Except now because you bent one, but nomally you should never touch the pins. When I handel a CPU I use a lint free cloth (AKA coffe filter) and only hold it by the sides or the flat part. Bent pins happen. I dropped a CPU once, bent a pin, bent it back, and it worked fine. So the only way to fix it is to carefully bend it back. Use something flat like a knife. You can use your finger nail if its long enough, but you might bend the other pins in the process, so be carefull if you use your finger nail. You don't have to get it perfect. Just get it so that it will fit in the socket without bending more. When You install your CPU it should just fall into the socket. Now that you have a bent pin it might take a tiny tiny bit of preasure, but don't force it.

Now about that heat sink. YOU NEED A NEW ONE! Dells are weird and cheap. they use those heat sinks with a hood that leads to an exaust fan. Your new case will not have that hood so you need to get heat sink with a fan on it. A new heat sink should have a thermal pad on it. You could just pop it on, or you can use the arctic silver that you got, and follow the instruction on their web site. The arctic silver will give you better temps. I'll link to a good cheap heat sink on newegg for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...p?Item=N82E16835106606

I would recomend a better cooler (Sythe Katana), but I don't think that it will fit on a micro ATX board. The one I linked to should be easyer to install anyways.
stanzonal
2006-08-11T14:06:16Z
Got it with a knife! Looks just like it did before. Thanks alot, I was about to use a phillips to straighten is, whew glad i didnt! Thanks Alot!
Der Meister
2006-08-14T15:28:00Z
quote:

Originally posted by: stanzonal
I need to hit the sack, I gotta fly 10 hours and pilots needs his sleep.

a pilot eh? who do you fly for? im am an up and comming pilot my slef.
stanzonal
2006-08-15T00:45:02Z
Currently a college student. So far all I have is my private, but real close to getting my instrument. Then commercial will be right behind it. Cant wait to get started on my CFI and start instructing. How much do you fly?
Der Meister
2006-08-15T16:03:24Z
quote:

Originally posted by: stanzonal
Currently a college student. So far all I have is my private, but real close to getting my instrument. Then commercial will be right behind it. Cant wait to get started on my CFI and start instructing. How much do you fly?

Im a college student as well i go to ERAU. i have my private but im with in 2 weeks of picking up my multi then off to insturment then commercial i think i'll have my CFI by next christmas time (2007). i fly on average of 4-5 hours a week at the moment. which college do you go to?
stanzonal
2006-08-15T22:38:21Z
I go to SOSU. Im behind in my flying though. I got that LASIK eye surgery. Did wonders, but the FAA kept me grounded for over a year and a half. They just kept giving me papers to get filled out by eye doctors, and finally when i got my first class medical, over a year and half went by. I'd do it again though. So im done with all my gen ed class. Im only taking 2 classes this year bc only certain ones are giving at certain times, but eh Ill still graduate just a little late. You know what they say about graduating in 4 years, its like leaving the party at 11.
Der Meister
2006-08-21T03:07:34Z
you ever get it running ok?
stanzonal
2006-09-07T22:08:16Z
Everything running great, just cant get the Windows XP disk to recongnize the sata drive. And tonight it justnlocked yo(old drive). I've been trying to figure out something about streamlining the disk with the right driver for the drive. Any clue?
spy774
2006-09-08T01:06:09Z
I am going to do basically the same setup you are doing just with another case so please let me know how it turns out I also have the dell 8300 3.0Ghz and want a new motherboard. Also is there anything else you had to do to put everything together. I just plan on changing the motherboard and using my hd, cd/dvd drives sound card, and my radeon 9800.
Thank,
stanzonal
2006-09-13T17:58:09Z
I would just be really careful when taking everything apart, and divide everything when you pull it out of the case, and keep the screws with that part. Honestly i wish i took a photo of it before because Wow i was lost. I had was gonna try and keep the dell motherboard but it was pointless because they use they're own parts, and i basically ruined mine after trying to take it off the case's plate. I'm no expert at this and probably luck had a little to do with my baby being up and running. But i would definitely take precautions on static(hard floor, lint free rags"coffe filter", i even used latex gloves but im just paranoid, especially when i was missing with my 2 gigs of ram and my processors.

But to summarize, Take static procautions, make sure you remember where everything when, the be careful with the processor(I bent a pin, check the forum for it HERE. And any questions ya got ill try and help, but just make sure you remember where everything was before you remove it.

Stan
spy774
2006-09-15T13:47:10Z
I am going to do basically the same setup you are doing just with another case so please let me know how it turns out I also have the dell 8300 3.0Ghz and want a new motherboard. Also is there anything else you had to do to put everything together. I just plan on changing the motherboard and using my hd, cd/dvd drives sound card, and my radeon 9800.
Thank,
spy774
2006-09-15T13:52:18Z
Thanks for the info, how did you finally get the Sata drive working, were there any certain things that needed to be done. Also did you use the heatsink that Giantjoebot mentioned.
Thanks,

Brian
M47msm
2006-09-20T18:57:33Z
Hate to break-IN on the discussion but a BENT PIN is a definite No-Go on your project..
I'm doing my first PC-rebuild..
It was a ONE HOUR ordeal for sure..the INTEL Motherboard fit perfectly into the DELL 2350 Dimension Tower..I started useing a TAPE-MEASURE....since DELL Support was unable to help in any way..so a OUTSIDE DIMENSION was caught at 9.6 x 9.6 useing the Tape Measure..
Then the INTEL-website started a process to get a Mobo and Processor..I added the RAM from the KINGSTON-website..
PC Power & Cooling had a PSU but I needed more....they had that too..the SILENCER 470...
The INTEL Mobo was offering a SATA configuration for DRIVES....it was a Pentium Board...I want a Celeron D Processor....I found a Celeron D 331(2.66GHz)....for the D915GAGL Intel Motherboard....
everthing went very well at installation time...the confusion for me was the Front Panel Power Switch/I found a PC-Repair Manual to describe such a switch(Author=Morris Rosenthal)..but I still needed to RE-Assign the PINS and come up with a Header CONNECTOR that would PLUG into the Motherboard side..the CHIPSET configuration offered this solution for searching out a SWITCH..
............................SOOOooooo........so far....
I'm still waiting to FIRE-up this PC REBUILD...
But all things went well with this set of circumstances...
........................................................................................................................................................
DELL PC Tower....DIMENSION(2350)
9.6 x 9.6 outside dimensions of the motherboard(ATX)all the way..
PC Power & Cooling because of the DELL Tower(PSU)bolted right into the case..
I switched to a Celeron over a Pentium(saved)like $$200-dollars..
XP-Professional because a LAN will offer the best results(in therory)..
Intel Retail BOXED Motherboard D915GAGL....
CELERON D-331-2.66GHz....
RAM...Kingston/KHX2700/512....times/2 for a TOTAL RAM=1-GB(approx)..
PC Power & Coling SILENCER 470...
SATA DRIVES....Firewire.....LAN.....Modem(cheap)....
INTEL CD....Drivers and Software.....
(optional)a SWITCH/////from a DELL 4700-Dimension....(for the Connector)Header..
re-assign the PINS....useing the INTEL Schematic,,,,,,,,
EXTRA---functions are a INTRUDER ALARM....and a third FAN connection.....
........................................................................................................................................................
I'll let ya' all know.......when it starts-UP......
Covert_One24
2006-09-20T19:12:59Z
i have a feeling that this is a bot^^^....