Old dude
  •  Old dude
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-08-23T15:22:16Z
I am trying to upgrade to Windows XP Home Edition from Windows ME. I run the upgrade advisor and it tells me:

Setup has detected and incompatibility between your video card and your computers mainboard. Because of this your computer may not start up after the upgrade.

My mainboard is by FIC with:
Intel i845G Chipset
Intel 82845G Video Card

My video works just fine. I have updated the drivers etc. and still get the same message. Windows is blocking my upgrade.

I would appreciated any help and/or suggestions.

Thanks&.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
2006-08-23T18:01:20Z
This doesn't make any sense to me but maybe a memeber such as one of the mods could explain why.

What are your specs and do they meet the minimum requirements for Windows XP? But may I ask what way are you trying to install XP. If you have backed up your software and files you need and have the install disk of Millenium Edition +serial code you should just install it on anyway from the BIOS after formatting or are you trying it this way.
Old dude
  •  Old dude
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-08-23T18:26:46Z
It dosn't make sense to me either. I'm using the XP Home Upgradde and my sysstem meets all the requirements for the upgrade. If I formatted the HD, the blocking problem would still exist.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
2006-08-23T19:35:12Z

Upgrade scenarios: The Upgrade Advisor checks for upgrade eligibility to Windows XP Professional only. Please use the link in Step 1 below to find out whether your version of Windows is eligible for upgrade.

-www.microsoft.com

Why would elegibilty for Pro and Home be different? Surely the hardware requirements are the same. Old dude I'm going to go to sleep now but I will do a small bit of googling in the morning and see if I come up with anything. I'm interested in solving this as I would love to know the problem let me know if you find a solution in the mean time.

By way is your Millenium Edition Windows from outside the US by anychance. Also could you post the full spec of your computer maybe there is known hardware issue although I doubt it as it really doesn't make sense, like Microsoft.
Old dude
  •  Old dude
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-08-23T20:27:32Z
Dev.... Thank you so much! This has been driving me crazy.
Windows ME is installed using a legal Microsoft CD. I should also mention that the Video card is actually onboard, not in a slot.

Here are the specs:

Mainboard: First International Computer, Inc. (VC37GV)
Chipset: Intel i845G
Processor: Intel Celeron @ 2690 MHz
Physical Memory: 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM PC3200
@ 200 MHz)
Video Card: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL/GV/GEIPE (On Board)
Integrated Graphics Device
Hard Disk: GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47 (29 GB)
CD-Rom Drive: ATAPI CD-RW 52X32X
CD-Rom Drive: IOMEGA ZIPCD 4x650
Network Card: Realtek Semiconductor RT8139
(AIB/C/SlOx/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Opcrating System: Microsoft-Windows ME 4.90.3000
DirectX: Version 7.Oa

Have a good night!
Super Dave
2006-08-24T02:38:35Z
I went to the FIC website HERE and found they have a Windows XP VGA driver download for your VC37VG, so it appears XP will work. However, after reading the 'readme.txt' in the driver description box I noticed that your i845G is not on the list of supported chipsets for that Windows VGA driver. This could very well be the reason for your upgrade advisor's warning, Old dude. You could always do a little experimenting! If you have a spare hard drive just lying around you could install it in place of your current hard drive and load XP on it and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, reinstall the old drive and everything will still be intact...
Old dude
  •  Old dude
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-08-24T09:02:09Z
Thanks, I will probably try your hardrive suggestion. I also think that maybe by installing a video card and disabling the onboard card, that this might work. I'm getting frustated....
xtremeskier97
2006-08-24T10:57:25Z
If it were me...I would NOT upgrade ME to XP. I would do a clean install of XP using your XP Upgrade CD. It will ask during setup for the ME CD. Pop the XP CD out and put the ME in....let it read it, then switch the CDs back out. I cant STAND WindowsME and all the problems it had. Whenver someone wants to go to XP from ME, we always tell them it will be a clean load.

You may also want to check to see that you have the most current BIOS for your mainboard installed. It is better to do the BIOS upgrade BEFORE you install XP.

Good luck.
Old dude
  •  Old dude
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-08-24T12:20:58Z
I have consider this and may do it, however, I think it would still block the install as the problem, according to XP, is with the mainboard and the video card. I didn't find an update for my BIOS on the FIC web site....

Thanks
M47msm
2006-09-09T08:34:23Z
What you might want to try is a CLEAN install....of the Windows ME...add your Programs and you may need to change some Software because OF the UPGRADE....add your Internet CD and MODEM....add your Security Software....Update the ME(however)that is done.....now.....use the XP-Upgrade CD.....
............Question...........is the Upgrade CD a SP1 or an SP2....upgrade???
..........................................................................................................
Personally.....the Upgrade CD is priced beautifully.....
But I will never buy one again.....
I will purchase the Complete OS CD.