Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Thunder Chunks  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2005 4:02:40 AM(UTC)
Thunder Chunks

Groups: Registered

quote:

Originally posted by: XaviarCraig
How the F*** would you make mods/maps for them and put them up for download? To put it simply, its damn near impossible at the moment.

You just summed up the whole argument in two sentences. No ones slamming PC's (we wouldnt be on this forum otherwise).

The whole state of play will change when consoles ship with hard drives so that original downloadable content ie maps and mods can be integrated into console gaming. The way in which the 360 links with MS Media Center there is nothing to say that this won't be possible.
Offline pcthuglife  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:13:36 AM(UTC)
pcthuglife

quote:

you guys represent the 1% of the population that are computer enthusiasts

^^ Does that say 1% of the gaming population? It means that since you're all into computer hardware your opinions may be a little skewwed. Look, I already said that PC games will never go away, I'm just saying that relative to console gamers, pc gamers make up a much smaller segment of the gaming market. Especially when you compare it to about 10 years ago.

I think of the pc gaming market like the apple market. Apple has a very loyal following, but that following is minute compared to the windows crowd. Then think about what apple's market was like 10 years ago before windows got mega popular. Thats what i think of when I think of pc games vs consoles.

Is apple ever going to go away completely? No, probably not.Will they ever make it out of the niche market segments? We'll just have to see how the transition to X86 works out for them.
Offline XaviarCraig  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:17:21 AM(UTC)
XaviarCraig

quote:

Originally posted by: Thunder Chunks

The whole state of play will change when consoles ship with hard drives so that original downloadable content ie maps and mods can be integrated into console gaming. The way in which the 360 links with MS Media Center there is nothing to say that this won't be possible.

Will you ever be able to make your own 100% original mods and maps for games on a console? I have my doubts... Since you cannot edit the actual game files easily, it seems like chore just getting to the files you need. Also some mods/maps require extra files to be run with the operating system. How do you expect to edit a consoles operating system safely? What if you screw it or the firmware up? On a PC its relatively safe if you know what you are doing, if you screw it up, just reinstall the operating system. On a console the operating system doesnt seem to be on a harddrive, I would GUESS its in a type of bios, which means if you needed to update it, its pretty dangerous.
Even if you knew exactly which files to edit and add, how hard is it gonna be to edit them? I am pretty sure it wont be nearly as simply as it is on a PC. I would think they use completely different code.
Offline Evd-Burner  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:57:55 AM(UTC)
Evd-Burner

Pc gaming will never die down as it is basically an online scene where as most console gaming is on ur own bar a few who use the internet....

And yez all have to say nothing beats playing other players rather then a computer......

Pc gaming will never die down, computers are going to get faster and better and so will the games and the games that will come out will only be able to be played on like dual core whcih consoles will never go into and ud never see a console with a keyboard or mouse or microphone....
Offline CompHobbyist  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:14:17 PM(UTC)
CompHobbyist

this entire hardware vs hardware debate is pointless.

xbox: 733MHz (or 1GHz) P3 plus a GF3 or 4 (codename nv25... I forget which that was, the nv20 was GF3) and 64MB of PC133 SDR main system RAM
modern computer: 3+GHz P4 or 3000+ Athlon64 plus an X850 or 7800 and 1-2GB of PC3200 DDR RAM

doesn't seem like much of a contest to me. Even if you cut a lot of detail out of the games for the xbox they won't run as well as modern games do on a modern PC. The only reason modern console gaming even survives is because the manufacturers of the consoles sell below cost and try to make it back on game licensing - microsoft has lost 4 BILLION DOLLARS in the xbox project so far, and the xbox360 is only going to make that worse.
Offline etracyirl  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:13:34 AM(UTC)
etracyirl

i allways just say that they make those games of a pc's so they can never be as good
Offline RFIRE15  
#22 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:46:22 AM(UTC)
RFIRE15

What Steveo said is correct... gernerally more of the population uses consoles for most of their gaming, but I do not see them as hardcore gamers. The people that are truly into games, will not stray away from a PC anytime soon for the reasons already stated. RPG, FPS... strat games are all MUCH better played on a PC simply because you have a mouse/keyboard and a friendly OS able to modify things
Offline XaviarCraig  
#23 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2005 1:20:35 PM(UTC)
XaviarCraig

quote:

Originally posted by: RFIRE15
What Steveo said is correct... gernerally more of the population uses consoles for most of their gaming, but I do not see them as hardcore gamers. The people that are truly into games, will not stray away from a PC anytime soon for the reasons already stated. RPG, FPS... strat games are all MUCH better played on a PC simply because you have a mouse/keyboard and a friendly OS able to modify things

BULLSEYE! I fully 100% agree.
Offline InfinityzeN  
#24 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2005 1:43:04 PM(UTC)
InfinityzeN

Man

RFire, you da man. Basicly for the games I play mostly a console just can't compete. And I don't even play alot of online multiplayer games. Go figure, but has anyone here tried to play Morrowind on the XBox? Yea you can, but your missing out on all the mods, texture packs, total conversions, and general play tweaks. Man, Morrowind has to be one of the most modded games out there.
Offline Elsparrow  
#25 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2005 2:29:04 PM(UTC)
Elsparrow

NHL 2006 is the main game I am playing atm and thats on my PS2. I also prefer the GTA games (any driving game in fact) on my PS2 as I can handle the controls better on the PS2 than on PC.

I played HL on the PS2 and the controls were shat. FPS belong to pc's
Offline J_Reid  
#26 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2005 10:13:50 PM(UTC)
J_Reid

The simple solution is to by a super PC, XBox 360 and a PS3. But, all that could get a little expensive, eh? I have played console games all my life, but when I finally got a PC good enough to play any games, I found myself playing it much more.

I think it narrows down to the types of games you like to play. I enjoy RPG's, FPS's, and strategy games. Just like everyone has been saying, those are funner on the PC.
Offline PureFlop  
#27 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2005 7:47:35 AM(UTC)
PureFlop

Yeh...
I'm staying with PC's
Except for multiplayer.... tahts were Consoles come in i only will use a PS2 or Xbox if i want to play multiplayer on my Plasma... other wise i'll be on the PC.
PC's will neva die... eva
Offline entermymatrix03  
#28 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2005 10:47:14 PM(UTC)
entermymatrix03

or you could do like me and hook your pc up to your tv with a dvi-d cable and hook your sound up with a toslink cable for 5.1 channel gaming sound. my 46" dlp blows my little 19" outta the water! try it dood, its great. gotta be careful with those plasma's though, burn-in is a [censored]!