you_know_it
2003-04-30T23:56:41Z
I guess this goes here it is about motherboards,
I got this new computer right when windows xp came out and it worked great only weird thing was that you had to make your own windows xp cd from a partion on the hard drive. I think that it was called recover cd's. This is ok untill now because these cds are made only for This brand of pc and when i replaced the motherboard it couldnt detect it as the same brand any more so i am un ably to reinstall the xp cd does any one know their way around this. it is driveing me crazy and i dont want to buy a new windows.
FiYoG
2003-05-01T01:59:22Z
I know it sucks, but the only legal way (that I can think of) of doing this is to buy a new copy of XP.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2003-05-01T04:56:17Z
Yeah it's an OEM version of XP and it is only meant to be used on the PC it shipped with. Costs the company less to use an OEM version so it saves them money.
pcthuglife
2003-05-01T09:23:15Z
you may be able to contact either the computer manufacturer's or microsoft's customer support and tell them your situation. in the mean time try to elaborate a little more about your problem. Will the cd just not install? If so does it give you an error message? blah blah blah?
Dante
2003-05-01T09:38:27Z
Get yourself a pirated version. Microsoft has enough money already.
pompoen
2003-05-01T12:41:42Z
i bought myself a legal copy aswell, but after oc'ing "to much", win xp, concluded that my specs had changed "to much".

Since then, i reinstall it once a month
Dante
2003-05-01T12:52:22Z
Legal copy? I'm still waiting for my computer to say "Arr, Matey! Tis' a fine OS ye be runnin' 'ere!"
you_know_it
2003-05-03T13:28:26Z
well lets see when i put it in the real system since it dosant have an OS it boots to the cd and says this cd is made for HP computers only. But i think that hidden in these 8 cds is an xp upgrade because while looking around in them with a no brand computer running win 98 i found this setup that when i click on it says preparing to update your computer with xp but than says no info.exe file found on your computer. Than gives you a chance to find it. If i put the old mobo in i should be able to reinstall xp before switching back and it will work right?
EL MACHOTE
2003-05-04T14:10:03Z
It might work if you're using another HP MoBo that code is in the bios,,,have you notice that when it boots the first thing you see is the Hp logo?????????
you_know_it
2003-05-06T23:56:44Z
YES and this is the motherboard that came with computer But i retired it because i need fire wire and motherboard was extreamly cheep like intergrated video that says it has 64mb of shared mem but cant even run nba live 2003 with out jumping
mareleblond
2003-05-09T11:13:33Z
legal software
why?