GnuHard
  •  GnuHard
  • 64.4% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2017-08-15T20:49:38Z
That Samsung portable SSD (https://hothardware.com/reviews/samsung-portable-ssd-t5-review) is nice. And pricey, for an SSD without Linux anywhere near it. I would settle for a solid Linux-compatible USB notebook hard drive (SATA/IDE) adapter for under $50.00.
digitaldd
2017-08-16T12:44:45Z
Isn't the only thing that makes it Linux compatible the file system you format it with? Though Linux can read/write FAT/NTFS/HFS just fine in any recent distro.

Ooh yeah and it may only run at compatible speeds if USB 3.1 drivers for your distro are unavailable for your hardware.

GnuHard
  •  GnuHard
  • 64.4% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2017-09-02T17:39:31Z
In some cases, the hardware for cheaper SATA/IDE HDD USB Adapter+cases

seemed to be the issue. The last one I bought was a generic $25.00 kit, several years back; I was using Ubuntu/Debian/FreeBSD/Windows 7. Windows was the only OS that detected the 32-bit formated 40 Gig notebook HDD.

toby5
2017-09-02T17:54:32Z
Hrmmm. It's the way those portable HDDs are set up from what I have seen. Did you format it? The WD drives come with this security crap on it that I really didn't want so i just yanked the drive out of the enclosure and used it as a Internal drive because it was on sale.