Blackhawk8100
2016-04-29T13:16:03Z

it might not be great, but if you poke around you can find an ok case for $30..also another idea, find a local computer recycling drop off and take a look. The one near me has 10 pcs laying there at any given time

You can mod them, its called a Hackintosh.but, it takes a lot of time/work

example:

UserPostedImage

That is SICK! I must...have...backlighting!

Sim_8_3
  •  Sim_8_3
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Member Topic Starter
2016-05-01T04:15:43Z

what are your laptops specs if you dont mind me asking. you shouldnt see much if any performance drop.

sim that is a pretty case what were you thinking of putting in it. i could see possibilities with that case given time and effort. also if you keep it as the mac it may be more beneficial to not kill its performance. if i do recall the g4 is a powerpc. you may find a linux distro that still supports the architecture.

TM I think your right it's a pretty cool case, and it would mean some work, I could see it having like a see through cover and what not, but then again your right a Linux Distro like Ubuntu would work work on there I would think that as far as G4 goes it would be slow by todays's standards but it might be worth it, all I know is for now it just sits there collecting dust with no purposed but holding my present USB hub lol :grin:

Sim_8_3
  •  Sim_8_3
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Member Topic Starter
2016-05-01T04:18:48Z

That is SICK! I must...have...backlighting!

That's a nice looking case in the picture, yeah I have been checking around and there is no PC recycling anywhere near me :sad: I have always kept a Hackintosh in the back of my mind when I would have a rig with lots of power and a massive storage system. They seem like they are pretty cool.:wink:

tmanvest
2016-05-01T04:24:10Z
fyi hackintoshes are kinda tough and you have a limited selection of parts although slightly larger than what apple gives you. the motherboard can actually make or break a hackintosh build, whereas in the pc world as long as your parts fit it is unlikely to have to many issues. that being said a hackintosh would be a fun project
Blackhawk8100
2016-05-01T10:26:05Z
@Sim Who is to say you need a case? Can you make your own, like make a desk with a PC in it or something? Tempered glass pane on top or Plexiglass and you can see through to the PC? It'd be your own special thing too, since not many people do it I think.

Oh also, you should watch this  for inspiration and just because it is cool.