S.L Munoz
2015-05-27T07:24:02Z
I've been spending some time working on graphics with my graphics tools, exporting assets also into UE4. I've been testing out some models that i worked on a while ago. Some examples (Still unfinished) -

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2ql7ck2.jpg 

http://i.picpar.com/bVnb.png 

Progress has been pretty slow with the process, generating the content. I can't run too many things without exceeding the limit, but i can at least still see what i'm doing. It doesn't look too bad, I got my characters to run with a couple animations. It's pretty hard getting things to work but I've been pretty persistent with it. Hopefully with more time invested into the characters i'll see better results.

S.L Munoz
2015-05-27T07:43:48Z
sorry for the really big pictures. i'm trying to scale them though i don't know how to do it.
Blackhawk8100
2015-05-27T20:30:24Z
Reminds me of a more complex Sims 4
venser
2015-05-27T21:20:15Z
Wow very impressive, nice work man... keep it up!
S.L Munoz
2015-05-27T21:40:09Z
Thanks.

It's no PS4 or XB1 grade quality, i also can't generate too high of texture Maps. For the top picture I was going for jan lee's face from DOA.

UserPostedImage

I'm not too much for making military or SWAT characters because we have enough of those already, orcs, ogres and medieval characters too.

I make stuff for testing purposes, it can take months to create the right character, when starting from scratch. I know the steps, it's pretty hard work.

JOMA
  •  JOMA
  • 100% (Exalted)
2015-05-27T21:57:21Z
Looks great. I have zero ability to do anything artistic so pretty much anything is WAY better than I could do.
Blackhawk8100
2015-05-27T22:14:07Z
Make yourself! That would be fun. You just need a mirror and skill, both of which I am assuming you have!
S.L Munoz
2015-05-27T23:39:24Z

@ joma Thanks. I have a couple years with maya personal learning edition, and a year plus a couple months with UE4.

For 1 character, Modeling can go from a month up to 3 Months. Then setting up the skeletal structure underneath can take up to an other month. Then animations can take a month as well. It all depends on how detailed you want to make your characters.

Skinning and rigging is one of the most difficult and integral parts to making video game and CGI characters. It involves binding the skeletal structure to the model. Rigging is setting up the skeletal structure with joints, skinning is setting up the mesh to track skeleton.

@ Blackhawk

I haven't tried that, it would probably take though more time for the modeling accuracy. I prefer at the moment to make non photo realistic characters. Photo realism always takes precision and resources. Plus the end result of using photo realistic people can be pretty boring.

S.L Munoz
2015-05-27T23:41:59Z
This is also something i did on my spare time.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Based on the Japanese anime character Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo

UserPostedImage

Blackhawk8100
2015-05-28T00:42:57Z
S.L Munoz
2015-05-28T01:49:54Z
Thanks again. I was testing out cell shading coupled with the anime based model I was working on. I would like to make a cell shaded game down the line. I gotta see how it would look like in UE4's shader pipeline. The performance hit for cell shading is a little more though, cause the lines have to retrace the character model, which are rendered in polygons.
Blackhawk8100
2015-05-28T02:25:40Z
I am not an anime fan and that looks good.
S.L Munoz
2015-05-28T07:48:41Z
It's cool, i was actually watching the making of this one Cell shaded fighting game that's on the PlayStation. It's Guilty Gear XRD and it runs the unreal engine 3.

The video is about an hour long but It's just insane how it just looks, like an authentic anime. You can hardly tell it's 3d rendered. They show you how they achieved the quality.

venser
2015-05-28T08:06:29Z
Nice! It has a very Hatsune Miku look about her. Although I am all too familiar with the Tenchi Universe (no Tenchi Universe pun intended). It was one of my very first anime that had sparked my interest in more anime and Japanese language / culture. Do Ryo oki next! bunny form and ship form! I am certain you can do an awesome job with it.

I don't know if you are familiar with Mike Petit and his work. He is the original artist for Jurrasic Park dinosours. I went to school with his niece and she followed in his footsteps with graphic art. I'll find her Tumblr, you should seriously follow her work. Tani Petit does a lot of modern art for up and coming studios such as Nexus Shift studio. You might get some cool ideas!

venser
2015-05-28T08:10:04Z
http://pragmaticinsanity.tumblr.com  is her tumblr page, and nexusshiftstudios.tumblr.com is the new studio for gaming.