News
  •  paul
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-10-21T09:42:14Z
Holy mackerel, it happened! Somebody actually went and built an honest-to-goodness hoverboard, finally bringing to reality the fantasy we've all shared since seeing Marty McFly escape from Biff and his cronies using a hoverboard in Back to the Future II! We know what you're thinking -- 'Yeah, right, this isn't the first hoverboard hoax' -- but you have to check this out.

The company is called Hendo Hover and you'll currently find the faces behind the team over at Kickstarter. They're trying to raise $250,000 for the project, but that money won't go towards a prototype -- such a thing already exists. At present, the Hendo Hoverboard is capable of hovering about an inch off of the ground, special s[censored]s not required.

Hendo Hoverboard

So, what is the money for? The funds will go towards finishing touches, mass production, and building specialized "hoverparks" where you can ride them. And that's the really the catch (besides cost) -- you can't just grab a hoverboard and go floating around your block. Instead, it requires a specialized surface that works with its hover engines. More specifically, the surface in question has to be a non-ferromagnetic conductor.

Hendo Hoverboard Angle

As you might have guessed, magnets are involved here, though it's not as simple as putting one magnet over the other with the same poles facing to make the top part float. Due to Earnshaw's Theorem, a stable static equilibrium between two magnets isn't possible. Sure, there have been ways around this roadblock, but none that are practical, Hendo says.

"Lenz’s law explains how eddy currents are created when magnets are moved relative to a conductive material. These eddy currents in turn create an opposing magnetic field in the conductor. Our core technology, which we call Magnetic Field Architecture (MFA™), focuses this field more efficiently," Hendo explains.

Hendo Hoverpark

"The Hendo Hoverboard is a first-step product, a precursor to the broader implementation of the world-changing technology of MFA," Hendo continues. "It enables a new generation of lift and motion technology that will change the way we view transportation. Additional applications for MFA technology are virtually limitless - from business, to industry, to healthcare, and beyond."

According to Hendo, the hover system its team of designers came up with is comparatively inexpensive and completely sustainable. It's also maneuverable -- the actions that stabilize the hoverboard can also be used to to drive it forward by altering the projected force on the surface below. How rad is that?

If you'd like to back the project, head over to the Hendo Hoverboard Kickstarter page and check out the gnarly reward tiers that are available.
Dave_HH
2014-10-21T11:22:08Z

I so want one of these. This is simply amazing technology and if they can make it happen for a skateboard, cars are next! :)

digitaldd
2014-10-21T12:50:33Z

When I was a kid I wanted the hovercraft that was powered by lawnmower engines that you saw the advertisement for in the back of popular science/popular mechanics. They only sold blue prints/plans no guarantee if it work work. At least its kickstarter and not indie-go-go

sevags
  •  sevags
  • 53.25% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2014-10-21T15:20:28Z

What a horrible Kickstarter!!!!!! The only tier that actually gets you a hover board costs $10k OUCH!

You guys think a credit union would consider this a vehicle and provide me a low interest loan for it?????

TomasChuaJr
2014-10-21T15:36:16Z

Sharleen Alexis Siy Co you like? hehe

SharleenAlexisSiyCo
2014-10-21T15:36:17Z

Thats cool :)

JoshHess
2014-10-21T18:18:02Z

The only physical way this could work is with something called lenz's law and that requires a thick conductive surface underneath such as aluminum or copper plates. So it would only work over non-ferrous metals. Not that impressive...

StevenSpencer
2014-10-22T00:22:53Z

Holy cow! I hope to try one of these one day.

CDeeter
2014-10-22T07:40:11Z

Um, did you read the article? It clearly states those points - Lenz Law, and non ferrous conductor LOL

altshep123
2014-10-22T09:59:49Z

Pure awesome. I was curious about how they are powered. From their kickstarter page: "Powered by a set of rechargeable LiPo batteries, we integrate the charging system directly into the box. Right now we can give you 12-15 minutes of hover with a charge time of about 2 hours"

StaticFX
2014-10-22T10:31:09Z

well finally! lol

now, we just need to pave the streets with copper so we can use these!

JohnCathcart
2014-10-22T10:40:07Z

Only kind of... Unfortunately.

HThompson
2014-10-23T10:11:52Z
starwhite
2014-10-24T00:32:28Z

These are sooo cool! I have to have one....I must have watched the 'Back to the future' movies a hundred times apiece...even saw them in the theaters as a kid when they first came out.

digitaldd
2014-10-24T14:19:09Z

sevags wrote:

What a horrible Kickstarter!!!!!! The only tier that actually gets you a hover board costs $10k OUCH!

You guys think a credit union would consider this a vehicle and provide me a low interest loan for it?????

Did you see how crappy that prototype actually is? also your half-pipe will need to be made of some kind of metal (its magnet based after all). I wonder how painful it will be to beef it on a metal half-pipe.