News
  •  News
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-09-15T10:37:05Z

It appears that the rumors have turned out to be true. Today, both Microsoft and Mojang announced that they have reached an agreement where Microsoft will pay $2.5 billion for Mojang, which includes its Minecraft franchise and other IPs currently being developed. However, it was also revealed that the game developer’s founders will be leaving the company.

“Minecraft has grown from a simple game to a project of monumental significance,” Mojang chief word officer Owen Hill wrote on the developer’s official website. “Though we’re massively proud of what Minecraft has become, it was never Notch’s intention for it to get this big.”

He went on to explain, “As you might already know, Notch is the creator of Minecraft and the majority shareholder at Mojang. He’s decided that he doesn’t want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance. Over the past few years he’s made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang. He’ll continue to do cool stuff though. Don’t worry about that.”

Not only is Minecraft creator and Mojang co-founder Mar[censored] “Notch” Persson leaving the company, but Mojang co-founders Carl Manneh and H. Jakob Porsér are leaving as well. Meanwhile, the majority of the developer’s staff will be staying.

However, their departure has not dampened Microsoft’s expectations for its latest purchase. The company expects the acquisition to break even in fiscal year 2015, which ends on June 30, 2016, on generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) basis.

“Minecraft is one of the most popular franchises of all time,” said head of Xbox Phil Spencer. “We are going to maintain Minecraft and its community in all the ways people love today, with a commitment to nurture and grow it long into the future.”

Minecraft, at last count, has sold over 54 million copies on various console platforms, mobile devices, and the PC platform with Microsoft assuring consumers that it will continue to make Minecraft available across all platforms. There is speculation that the company is looking to bolster its mobile market since the game is not available on the company’s Surface tablet or Windows Phone.

The deal is set to close in late 2014. 

But what do you make of this deal and the fact that Mojang’s founders are leaving the company? 

Sponsor
RiCoFrost
2014-09-15T19:00:23Z

Saw it on Xbox one this morning however still not showing up on the phone.

realneil
2014-09-15T20:07:05Z

2B is a nice little retirement fund.

SeanDKnight
2014-09-15T21:45:41Z

You don't think Microsoft will put the game on their own phone?

Manduh
  •  Manduh
  • 77% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2014-09-15T22:28:16Z

My guess is the picture pretty much sums it up.

I just hope, truly truly hope, that Minecraft will still get frequent game updates and/or snapshots and they will be free. I also hope they don't put a stop to the modding community or add in-game purchases. These would be the death of the game!

I do wish Notch all the best though. I can understand why he decided to step down, and at 2.5 billion, who wouldn't sell?!!

RiCoFrost
2014-09-16T00:14:55Z

From when I have read so far Notch was getting a lot of hate over the game for updates that would break things and it just got to a point where he didn't want to deal with it anymore.

As for Microsoft i hear they are doing it to help with learning/train kids as you can build things and also add it to their phones. 2.5Billion really isn't much for Microsoft at all.

SeanDKnight
2014-09-16T06:52:39Z

He got a lot of hate for some changes made to the EULA, something that he wasn't even aware of. But I can understand his reasons for wanting to get out of the spotlight.

SeanDKnight
2014-09-16T06:54:10Z

Microsoft would be sabotaging any potential to make money from this deal if they change any of that. So hopefully that wont be the case!

realneil
2014-09-16T08:47:41Z

Hello Manduh,

Good to see you around! How goes it? You're right 2.5 Billion is a great motivator, and enough money to get serious attitude with.