News
  •  News
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-09-02T17:47:39Z

It's seemingly impossible to go any real length of time without learning of some security breach, but more often than not, the number of affected people is arguably minimal. Today, news is breaking of a breach involving Home Depot that's not minimal, and it's not a mere matter of some credentials being leaked, but rather current credit and debit card numbers. If Home Depot has your financial information, you have immediate reason to be concerned.

According to Krebs on Security, a database of credit and debit cards hit the black market this morning, with a "valid rate" of 100% (meaning that the card list is up-to-date). Both Home Depot and the banks involved are all currently investigating this breach, although none of them at this point will acknowledge that a leak of card numbers has indeed taken place.

Home Depot spokesperson Paula Drake has said, "I can confirm we are looking into some unusual activity and we are working with our banking partners and law enforcement to investigate". Further, the company notes that it takes its customer's data security extremely seriously, and that it's "aggressively" gathering facts to get things sorted as quickly as possible.

Here's where things get very interesting: It's being speculated that the same group of hackers behind the Target, Sally Beauty, and P.F. Chang's breaches are also behind this one. Amidst the goings-on between Russia and the USA, it seems the "American Sanctions" database is not-so-coincidentally named.

In an update, Krebs notes that this breach could extend as far back as April or May of this year. Because of Home Depot's reach, this breach could be significantly larger than that of Target's, which was already considered to be enormous.

We'll report more as hard evidence comes out.

RiCoFrost
2014-09-02T19:19:51Z

So home depot gets hack and you post about it, Apple gets hacked and still two days after no post. hmmmm

Dave_HH
Super Dave
2014-09-02T21:14:20Z

Dang this is bad news because I just used my new card at Home Depot on 8/27. I wish HD would be more forthcoming with the timeframe of this hack...

Dave_HH
2014-09-02T23:09:19Z

I actually already had my card deactivated by my bank. THEY called me and said there was security breach but wouldn't say what merchant. This was definitely it... Ughh.

Marco C
2014-09-03T00:09:03Z

Just to clarify, it doesn't appear that Apple was hacked. Its iCloud servers weren't compromised. Brute force attacks and social engineering were apparently used to target specific accounts. That's very different than hacking a server.

altshep123
2014-09-03T08:28:29Z

We haven't been called yet, but this will be the 3rd credit card issued this year. Crazy.

Super Dave
2014-09-03T12:42:42Z

My cash rewards credit card rakes in $50-$60 per month for me (I'm debt-free) so I don't want to give it up!

RiCoFrost
2014-09-03T19:44:04Z

Well then my apologies.

digitaldd
2014-09-04T12:01:48Z

Marco C wrote:

Just to clarify, it doesn't appear that Apple was hacked. Its iCloud servers weren't compromised. Brute force attacks and social engineering were apparently used to target specific accounts. That's very different than hacking a server.

yeah reminds me of when Paris Hilton's cell phone pics got leaked and the person who posted the images revealed the password 1234... probably something like that or the security question answers were easily researched items