MenachemMinkin
2014-07-07T01:38:30Z

Vehicle fires are not uncommon. Don't act as if gasoline-based cars are the pinnacle of safety and that battery powered cars are some untested unknown. Tesla considers the safety of their cars as a high priority as they should: their reputation depends on it. So far, they have succeeded to a great degree winning safety awards for the Model S. Since the widely publicized fires, they've improved the underbody of the car:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tesla-adds-titanium-underbody-shield-and-aluminum-deflector-plates-model-s

If I were in an auto accident I would feel much safer being in a Model S than in any other comparable car.

InfinityzeN1
2014-07-07T02:38:57Z

I'll just keep my Infiniti. That crash was pretty nasty, though I have seen much worse. Like that Porsche that hit the wall near a toll booth going over 100mph.

JulinRenSilva
2014-07-07T04:08:45Z

100mph??? If anything, that is impressive. Survival rate at such high speeds are very low for Sedan-style vehicles.

JulinRenSilva
2014-07-07T04:08:46Z

A thing to note is that while the batteries did ignite, the fire was for the most part contained to the battery compartment . . . I'd be a lot more worried about a vehicle with just 30 litres of combustible fuel ablaze.

sevags
  •  sevags
  • 52.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2014-07-07T19:11:00Z

Thanks everyone for th kind words!!! I'm actually in quite a bit of pain but it could have been much worse!

realneil; it was like hitting  a wall for sure!!!!! And for the Infiniti next to me who never got to brake it totally looks smashed like it went I to a wall down tpassed the engine oxm

Joel H
2014-07-09T15:31:54Z

I think it's only prudent to investigate the cause of the fire and the situation that led up to it, but there has to be some leeway for the fact that yes, incredibly improbable events will *always* lead to catastrophic consequences. The bigger question would be whether an improbable event that an individual *survives* is then compromised by a secondary fire that kills the person before EMTs can extract them.

In a case like this, examining what happened to cause the fire is still valuable, even if the risk of fire is incredibly low in absolute terms.

StaticFX
2014-07-09T15:40:11Z

I find no fault with Tesla in this.. if the crash is bad enough to rip the car in 2... something is going to catch fire.

Mordymion
2014-07-09T17:30:13Z

I find it funny that so much bigger of a deal is being made of the car than it literally tearing in half. Just seems odd.