Ramman
  •  Ramman
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-12-02T14:41:23Z
Thinking of getting this case. Comes with red, green, and blue cold cathode fluorescent lamps, and a red LED fan. It also come with glow in the dark round cables. But $79 seems a little steep.
Sponsor
johnhatesregist
2002-12-02T16:17:46Z
I like it and several other cases but it and those other cases I was looking at were too small.

I dunno the price seems ok to me, all the cables would go for about 20'ish at least and the lights, and fan at least 15 (I think more, but i'm not too up on lamp prices). The window'ed case if it's alumminum is sweet for 50'ish, even if it's steel it's a nice looking steel case for around 45-55'sh.

John

I just ordered the Matirx, one of the few and I mean few big enough for my needs and that is designed well.

MikeL_HH
2002-12-02T16:59:02Z
$79 is pretty cheap for a case, esp a good one. My Lian-Li cost mega $$$.
The_Punisher29
2002-12-02T19:14:26Z
The case you posted Raman is cheap and ugly...
MikeL_HH
2002-12-02T19:18:53Z
johnhatesregist, what a monster you have there! How many HDDs and CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD-RW were you planning to use?!
Dante
2002-12-02T19:45:49Z
A buddy of mine is using this case right now:

Personally, I don't like it much. But he has tricked it out with blue lights and such. I'm wondering who makes that case you're looking to get. I'm sure it's very similar to this one.

One thing about this case, there is no front intake. He has a 120mm mounted up front which pushes no air at all. He's about to drill the whole front panel open just to get the temperature down in his case. The side fan can only do so much and setting the top fan as intake only helps to increase temperatures. Not to mention that the PSU that came with the case died out within the first three days of use :rolleyes: .

If you're going to spend $70-$80, why not get an aluminum Cheiftec from Newegg? It'll look better, especially after putting the light kits in it.
MikeL_HH
2002-12-02T19:55:54Z
The Cheiftec would look better period, even without light kits. Even a Cheiftec without a side window would be preferable to that case, not to mention it would be cheaper. You don't have to have a window to have a sweet looking case. Just get a Cheiftec and stick in some LED fans. It looks better if the color of the case and the color of the LEDs contrast. A jet black case with a bright red LED side fan is pretty striking in it's own way.
johnhatesregist
2002-12-02T21:47:36Z
LovelyCrap, I have 2 hd's now but ordered another from newegg and have 3 cd's (1dvd/1cdrom/1cdrw) but with my new beast I can throw in another cdrom from an older system. If I get a DVDRW in 6mo's-1year(too pricey now for me) then it goes in.

Plus I hate changing cd's and with 1dvd, 1cdrw, and 2 dedicated to being readers that will happen less. CDroms are cheap now about $20 maybe cheaper later, I remember when floppy drives went from $40-30-20-now they are like $10.

I wanted more than the standard 4 5.25 bays incase the case ,did not have up front usb/audio outputs. Plus I can (at some point OC) put a temp monitor or fan controller in one of the bays in addition to all the crap I mentioned above.

Plus more room in the case leaves me the option of somewhere (pretty far from now) down the road going liquid cooling.

I also like the 3.5 hard drive expansion, it leaves plenty of room to put the drives in w/ some cheap hd coolers I got, which with the way it's setup I might not even need. But spacing them out is better w or w/o their own hd coolers.

If the dragon had 6x5.25bays I would have just bought one of them.

-John
MikeL_HH
2002-12-02T22:39:25Z
Why would you need water cooling? Just think how many fans you could fit on that............. 4-6 blow holes, a cluster of 4 side fans, 4-6 intake fans up front, 4-6 exaust on back............. and a second PSU to power it all...........
johnhatesregist
2002-12-03T00:31:58Z
I think at that point I could add some charcoal filters to it and officially dub it THE smartest/expensive air purifier in the world, as I play RTCW. Not to mention catch my death from the draft it creates over the winter.

Only problem I have is it won't fit in my desk's little hutch. :mad: Don't know where I'm going to put it but it's not gonna be on the floor!

-John
larac
2002-12-03T02:56:59Z
I've got one of the chieftec cases, not even one of the biggest full towers and that barely fits under my desk. It's ----ing huge. Keeps my feet warm with the 2 rear fans and the psu fan
Ramman
  •  Ramman
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-12-03T12:20:04Z
Thanks for the replies. I still kinda like it. Beats the ol' biege box of a tower I'm using. I didn't buy a new case when I built the system. Used an old full tower I had.

This one is brushed aluminum, with the lights it should look OK. But you're right, there are no fan holes in the front. I was thinking about the fans that fit into a bay slot.

Oh well, I'm not committed to buying this yet. It just looked interesting.
larac
2002-12-03T13:35:11Z
Check out the chieftec ones, pretty cheap and pretty decent.
Dante
2002-12-03T13:49:25Z
Chieftecs are relatvely small for full towers. So if you want something bold, yet not too huge, then I'd say pick up a Chieftec.

Maybe look into the steel version of the Thermaltake Xaser. You can find those as cheap as $110, and this is with the full window, solid steel door, Hardcano 7, and five orange case fans that are equivalent to Vantec Stealths. Considering that a black Cheiftec is about $65 or so, I'd say the extra money on the Xaser is very worth it. Plus it looks better too...
MikeL_HH
2002-12-03T17:32:35Z
Xaser would look better if it didn't have that annoying red spot around the X. If I got one, I'd spray paint it another color.