Sunbin
  •  Sunbin
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-11-29T09:47:16Z
will really like to hear some advises.

I have a AMD XP 2000+, VIA Mainboard, then 2 CD-ROMs, 2 Hard-Drives...

And as you all know AMD's CPU is "Xtremely" HOT...
So I have decided on adding 2 to 3 fans. So how much Watts i need for the casing, if i am going to add in all this components.
Sponsor
Dante
2002-11-29T09:53:35Z
You should run fine with 350 watts. Just be sure to get something that truely supplies 350 watts. I'd recommend either Enermax or Antec. You could also get bigger powersupplies, but the 350 will work fine for you.
Sunbin
  •  Sunbin
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-11-29T09:58:12Z
So for a very safe solution can anyone just kindly suggest me with the fan placement... i mean very basic and effective way of placing the fans that will help cooling down the temp.

My friends and i neglect a lot on temperatures... so when it comes to this we are "EMPTY"

For a more detail facts. My CPU( AMD XP 2000+) don't come with a fan. so if i am going to buy 3 fans, then how should i place?
Dante
2002-11-29T10:29:33Z
Fan placement? What do you mean? Whatever case you buy will have "fan placement" already laid out for you. Just be sure that front is intake, rear is exhaust. If you have side fan (over video card or processor) then put that as intake. If you have a fan on top, place it as exhaust.

As for name brand, Thermaltake SmartFan II is the best 80mm case fan on the market. It pushes a large amount of CFM and is customizable. You can either manually adjust the speed/noise or have the temp. sensor set it for you.

The best value for heatsink right now the Volcano 9. It comes with a SmartFan II mounted already and the heatsink itself is of good quality.
Sunbin
  •  Sunbin
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-11-30T08:54:29Z
So you mean that if i am going to buy a heatsink... then i can't forget about some extra fans?
Dante
2002-11-30T10:55:18Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Sunbin
So you mean that if i am going to buy a heatsink... then i can't forget about some extra fans?

No, not at all. You should have a heatsink/fan combo on your processor and load up your case with as many fans as it'll allow.

But with the case fans, you want the front as intake, rear as exhaust, side as intake, top as exhaust.
CjD
  •  CjD
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2002-11-30T11:52:39Z
get at least a 350w for that lot...i have similar setup with 5 fans

Enermax own

Enermax EG365AX-VE(G)(FMA) 350W ATX Power Supply (CA-003-EN)

Enermax's new improved 350W PSU that meets ATX 2.03 & ATX +12V 1.1 Version. Pentium 4 supported! AMD Desirable Mechanical Version with Gold plated connectors to provide perfect conduction. Dual fan design of E type PSU and all with thermal control function. Cable tube tied design for neatness.
This latest edition allows for manual speed control of the PSU's exhaust fan via the installed Rheostat and is an Active PFC Switching power supply. On low speed this is a noiseless solution PSU.