digitaldd
  •  digitaldd
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2002-11-11T09:24:43Z
I'm in a bind. I just saw these really cool Dell 20" 1600x1200 flat panel monitors for around $1000. and I'm really tempted. especially since they can take multiple inputs DVI, VGA, Video In.

But I use a switchbox to switch displays on the various PCs I have and since a friend of mine has a nice BenQ LCD whcih he sees ghosted images on through his switchbox I'm wondering if its a good idea.

So the question I'm asking is if anyone here uses KVM switches with a LCD monitor tell me what KVM Switch you have , what LCD you have and whether the image quality is worse than if your flat panel were hooked up to your video card directly.

I realize that i could hook my main system to the LCD via DVI and have a great picture but the others would be connected to the VGA via my switchbox. and I am not spending $1000 for poor picture quality..
Bothware
2002-11-14T12:21:35Z
Where did you see those screens ? - I can't see them on www.Dell.co.uk  !

Switchboxes always reduce quality, if a signal ghosts slightly on a CRT then its hardly noticable, though on a TFT it can make a huge difference : Id get 1 and connect it to main system via DVI - though check your graphics card can support that res. first ! - how much do U use the other systems on your KVM anyway ?

keep your current monitor to share accross the other systems, that would leave a nice dual head config. on main rig
digitaldd
  •  digitaldd
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2002-11-15T09:52:10Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Bothware
Where did you see those screens ? - I can't see them on www.Dell.co.uk  !

Switchboxes always reduce quality, if a signal ghosts slightly on a CRT then its hardly noticable, though on a TFT it can make a huge difference : Id get 1 and connect it to main system via DVI - though check your graphics card can support that res. first ! - how much do U use the other systems on your KVM anyway ?

keep your current monitor to share accross the other systems, that would leave a nice dual head config. on main rig

I saw them on http://www.tigerdirect.com  they are refurbs but they're all out now [at least the last time i checked.

My GF3 Ti200 can do that resolution I'm sure. And I do use the other systems on the switchbox all the time so the switchbox is actually my most often used component.