Jigsaw
  •  Jigsaw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-09-30T17:58:12Z
Is AGP8x really going to help that much over AGP4x? I'm going to build a new P4 system and can't decide on the chipset to use. I really want to use i850E because RAMBUS 1066 is simply the fastest for P4, but you can't get AGP8x with that chipset. I love the stability of the Intel chipsets and hate to go to a SiS chipset simply to get AGP8x, but I don't want to end up wishing I had AGP8x either, ya know? Does 8x over 4x matter that much?

Please advise.
Sponsor
shawn_5_o
2002-09-30T21:05:14Z
Actually there is very little gain for the 8X so far. I was thinking the same thing as you and could not find anything that supported 8x and RDRAM. I have since found out that the SIS chipset is having stability issues running at 8x. I am going to stick with the RDRAM and 4x personally. Hope that helps.
Jigsaw
  •  Jigsaw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-09-30T21:29:05Z
Thanks Shawn. I was kinda hoping that someone might know if it will make a significant difference in upcoming titles like Doom3, etc. I know right now there isn't much reason to have 8x, but what about in eight months?
shawn_5_o
2002-09-30T22:32:57Z
You should start seeing major support in 1H' '03! Until then I don't think we are going to see RDRAM support with 8x! What I have been reading so far points to 4x being more than enough bandwidth for some time to come. 8x is more of a professional graphics arena for high end video editing. Don't quote me on that though. I have just read to many reviews against the SIS chip for stability and no real gains. If you want you can wait until next year. By then they should have a more stable platform from a couple more companies. I'm personally not waiting. I want my Asus P4T533-C and Radeon 9700 now. If I see gains from it in the future I'll just have to bite the bullet for a new motherboards. At least I'll have the video card, processor, and RDRAM already.
Jigsaw
  •  Jigsaw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-10-01T16:01:01Z
That's the answer I needed Shawn. Thanks a lot. I guess I'll have to get my Asus P4T533-C with my RAMBUS and Radeon 9700 Pro now, and worry about 8x later.

Or should I wait for NV30? Oh boy...

Sheesh. It never ends...
pcforce
2002-10-02T07:54:55Z
Well better get the Intel chipset even without 8x AGP!

Now on the market there isn"t so powerful cards wich works on 8x but are faster than the 4x ones!

For now there is no diff between 4x & 8x but in future-just obligatory!!!
Bothware
2002-10-02T11:16:26Z
As I said here theres no point in 8x AGP @ mo.

But I would recomend Corsair XMS PC3500 CAS2 over RDRAM, it may be a little slower on bench marks, but in reality, you wont notice any difference - except on your bank statement

Simular can be said for AMD over Intel, but the 2.8GHz P4 is simply the fastest, though I don't think its worth the money.

Apparantly no future chipsets are intending to support RDRAM, so best stick with DRR - the Corsair stuff is the best U can get and it has Lifetime Warranty.

Mobo's to look @ :
Asus A7V8X
Asus P4T8X
Abit AT7-MAX2
Abit IT7-MAX2
The new nForce2 based Epox boards as well.
Jigsaw
  •  Jigsaw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-10-02T21:26:57Z
What chipset then, Bothware, do you recommend for P4 DDR? I definately think I want to stay with Intel. And why do people say that to fully utilize a P4 you need to use RAMBUS? I really appreciate any advice or information you can give.

Thanks!
AcidJazz
2002-10-02T21:31:14Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Bothware
A
Mobo's to look @ :
Asus A7V8X
Asus P4T8X
Abit AT7-MAX2
Abit IT7-MAX2
The new nForce2 based Epox boards as well.

You sure meant P4S8X..