OWest
  •  OWest
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-09-30T15:35:01Z

I have a nivida 9500 gt and i would like to uprgrade so i can play bf 3, any ideas on possible upgrades under £150? (im happy to overclock and my socket is PCI) 

Sponsor
Der Meister
2011-09-30T17:26:44Z

just PCI? or PCIE? If its PCI i think you might be out of luck

rrplay
2011-09-30T17:39:59Z

Der Meister wrote:

just PCI? or PCIE? If its PCI i think you might be out of luck

maybe not look here

http://hothardware.com/News/Zotac-Expands-Its-GeForce-GT-520-Line/

Quote:

Zotac announced a pair of graphics cards in its GeForce GT 520 line, one each in the PCI and PCI-E x1 form factors...

No pricing available at this time.

Hi OWest welcome to HH and what mainboard do you have ?...just to be sure

OptimusPrimeTime
2011-09-30T18:13:11Z

rrplay wrote:

maybe not look here

http://hothardware.com/News/Zotac-Expands-Its-GeForce-GT-520-Line/

Quote:

Zotac announced a pair of graphics cards in its GeForce GT 520 line, one each in the PCI and PCI-E x1 form factors...

No pricing available at this time.

"Yeah, its the most powerful and up to date PCI card that will soon be available, though you wont be playing BF3 smoothly ,you will have to play at very very low setting, and because, if your board only supports PCI, you are most likely running on a single core processor and very slow ddr2 memory. Like rrplay asked, what motherboard and specs do you have? for £150 or little more we can come up with an upgrade solutions like The AMD Llano platform that has a processor with a powerful built in GPU and a A75 motherboard . Also, where do you shop Online in the UK?"

Der Meister
2011-09-30T18:22:11Z

A 520 is barely above on board these days

OptimusPrimeTime
2011-09-30T18:30:13Z

Der Meister wrote:

A 520 is barely above on board these days

"Yeah, definitely"

rrplay
2011-09-30T18:31:56Z

Well, maybe OWest will stop back in and share a bit more about his specs and budget..

Plenty of sharp n ' savvy eyeballs around here & this is what we do .[:)]

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 71.2% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2011-10-01T04:15:46Z

OWest wrote:

I have a nivida 9500 gt and i would like to uprgrade so i can play bf 3, any ideas on possible upgrades under £150? (im happy to overclock and my socket is PCI) 

Wow... I'm humbled to be in the presence of an old-school PCI user, our AGP socket has been long dead since who knows when...

Anyway, the top of the line card at the moment is the GT 520 and even that barely beats out integrated graphics with it's dedicated HD video decoding and CUDA features. I'm guessing that your motherboard has to be really, really old in order to have only a PCI slot. I mean even motherboard built in 2004 have an AGP slot you can upgrade your card with.

If you can't find a way to upgrade your card to a powerful one that can play Battlefield 3 then you may want to try the next best thing, a new motherboard, memory and graphics card. Even DICE developers said that you need 2 GTX 580's to play it properly with the highest settings, why not upgrade up to PCI-E?

Since you're willing to overclock. I'd suggest going with an AMD setup or a previous Intel setup seeing as how you have a mostly limited budget and money is an issue to you, and besides; most of the current AMD processors are capable of going toe to toe with the Intels when overclocked, if you want you can wait for Bulldozer but it's an uncertainty at the moment (release date).

Also what type of motherboard do you want, do you want a quality motherboard or a cheap decent overclockable motherboard? ATX or MicroATX? Give us info, we can help you out. In any case, I hope you respond, our intentions are good mannered.

OptimusPrimeTime
2011-10-01T16:59:10Z

rrplay wrote:

Well, maybe OWest will stop back in and share a bit more about his specs and budget.

"Yeah, He lives in the UK so maybe he will respond at the same time as yesterday or sooner, Its a weekend so, maybe on Monday. The Sooner the better though."

rrplay wrote:

Plenty of sharp n ' savvy eyeballs around here & this is what we do .Smile

"This is one of my favorite part , when we try to come up with the best solutions for each topic. We all have hit and misses , but alternatively, it can help another person as well."

"You know, members here mostly seek and give advice about PC related issues, Duh, HH is generally about the PC hardware. But I just came to think, we all know  Owest will have to upgrade to be able to play and have a good experience with BF3, That includes apart from a new processor and a GPU, a Power Supply and RAM, a new SATA 2 or 3 hard Drive( He Might be on IDE still ) and very likely (maybe not) a new case."

"So, here is on of my first suggestion just to avoid all the hassles and having to invest much more money (if the budget might no fit). How about Owest just gets an Xbox or a Playstation 3 and it will be ready right away. This is just one option before we all start the real debate process. I do have in line othe alternatives, but I just wanted to start with this one. "

Note: I put the the XBOX 4GB to make a point that it not worth it, because the next available model has a 250GB HD and a controller, It represents a way better value.

Der Meister
2011-10-01T17:01:21Z

^this or buy a new computer. 

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 71.2% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2011-10-01T19:21:55Z

Wheatley wrote:

Owest will have to upgrade to be able to play and have a good experience with BF3, That includes apart from a new processor and a GPU, a Power Supply and RAM, a new SATA 2 or 3 hard Drive( He Might be on IDE still ) and very likely (maybe not) a new case."

Well of course he'll have to upgrade his entire computer, except for his hard dive. If it is on IDE then he can get himself one of those IDE to SATA converters; it's cheap, it converts your IDE drive to a SATA drive (if you do get a motherboard with only SATA ports) and it sets you up for the future. Or you can get yourself a motherboard that has an IDE port, there are still a small number of those motherboards out in the market today.

In any case, I'm going to wait until he responds before I suggest anything else; I'm not saying that he should get a new console, hell he may have reasons for upgrading his PC; I am saying that we should wait until he responds before we jump the gun here.