nelsoncp21
2011-09-01T19:59:47Z

Hey guys. I got a good one for ya. I had a Asus P7P55D Premium laying around from the Asus contest a couple years back that wasn't being used and my sons computer needed and upgrade. So I purchased an i3-540 and 2x2GB G. Skill DDR3-1333 along with a new Hard drive. I was reusing the case, 500W Seasonic PSU and XFX 8800GTS. I put everything together and powered on and everything powered on but no post beep. I did however notice that there are 4 LED's on the MB that are post state LED's that are indicators of malfunfctioning hardware before the system posts. They are suppose to come on and go out if the hardware passes. They stay on if they fail. I noticed it would pass on the cpu and RAM but the VGA stayed lit. It never made it to the boot device LED cause it always hangs on the VGA.

I have tried everything I could think of and I even got an RMA for it, sent it back, got it back, put it together and got the same results over again. I am going to call Asus back up here in a minute but I am really on a time constraint. I put this together for my son as his B-day present but I am afraid I am not gonna get this worked out before I have to leave for CA for 6 months for work. Is there anything that you guys can think of for me to try. I don't have time to order new parts or ship anything back at this point. Here's everything I have tried.

1. I have tried 2 known good video cards in both PCIex16 slots (1 a working 8800GTS and the other a working 6600gt).

2. I have tried new ram in every configuration using every ram slot 1 at a time, and also used known good RAM from my system doing the same.

3. I have removed CMOS battery and let sit for several minutes.

4. I have disconnected everything but the essentials.

I am at a loss guys. Did they send me the board back without fixing anything or am I missing something here. Why am I getting a VGA error when I know I have 2 good video cards that I have tried. Oh and I should also mention that I already looked around online and the reason I don't get post error beeps is because the system will stop before it tries to post when one of the post state checks fails so that's why I have no beeps and no video but everything is powered on.

Please only respond if you actually read my post on everything I have tried and have something new to offer. Time is critical here guys so please help me out if you can.

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 76.5% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2011-09-02T00:17:23Z

Hmmm... Well I'm guessing that ASUS might of sent it back without replacing it, must of thought it was "customer induced".

In any case, the PCI-E 16x slot may be defective. I mean if the other cards are working on other systems and aren't working on this system then it's possible that the PCI-E 16x slot is defective. I mean if you haven't changed around the CPU's yet, the PCI-E slot may be the culprit here.

I don't know anything about repairing the PCI-E slots by hand or if you have a spare PCI slot you could use for a PCI graphics card... Best case scenario is to call up ASUS and ask whether or not it was rejected, that should give you insight to whether or not the board has been replaced.

If it hasn't been replaced and if you have a spare PCI video card laying around then install it, boot the system and see if it posts; if it does then it's definately the PCI-E slot that's not working.

Anyway, hope you get it working again nelsoncp21, ASUS may be a pain to deal with when it comes to RMA's and Technical Support but their products are just so great.

nelsoncp21
2011-09-02T19:39:37Z

Well I spoke w/ tech support and apparently all's they did was replace the BIOS chip. Not sure how that would fix the PCI ex slot or whatever is causing it but that's what they did. So now I have another RMA. Atleast I won't have to pay to ship it to them this time but my son will not be able to use the new hardware I bought him for his birthday. He'll just have to use the old athlon 64 board and cpu that was in there and hope that he dosn't throw it out the window out of frustration. My past experience w/ ASUS tech support has been good. Just a bad run this time. I was never able to swap out the cpu cause I don't have another 1156 cpu sitting around. Now that you mention the cpu i wonder if the integrated gpu has anything to do with it. I hadn't thought of that.

realneil
2011-09-03T23:06:20Z

nelsoncp21 wrote:

Now that you mention the cpu i wonder if the integrated gpu has anything to do with it.

It's a moot point if they're replacing the board this time. [:)]

nelsoncp21
2011-10-14T14:58:39Z

So I am home for a 4 day weekend after being in CA for over a month and figured I would try the new board ASUS sent while I was away. To my dismay the problem still remains. So I am thinking that this cpu just isn't compatable with this board. Unless anyone knows a work around I think I am going to have to order a new board. So before I order anything can anyone answer these two questions:

1. Is there a work around to get an i3-540 cpu to work on a P7P55D Premium motherboard. ( I suspect the integrated GPU on the processor is the culprit).

2. If not can someone recomend a inexpensive reliable motherboard that will work with this cpu.

OptimusPrimeTime
2011-10-14T15:18:16Z

"Its a long shot but, you might want to check your PSU connections and pins to see if there isn't any shortage or damage to it. Also you might want to borrow a PSU also to see if it will work."

"Also, Is there a chance anyone you know has a 1156 Mobo that you can test your CPU, just to make sure its not faulty."

nelsoncp21
2011-10-14T20:58:08Z

The PSU works fine in another system and just to be sure I tried a different PSU. No difference.

I don't know anyone else with a 1156 MB. I don't think it's the CPU though but it's possible. The reason why I don't think the CPU is faulty is cause when the board goes through the post LED check the LED check for the CPU and RAM is fine. I only get the error with the VGA LED. I think the system is trying to boot witht the integrated GPU on the CPU or it's seeing both GPU's. This board doesn't have a graphics port on it to even get it to boot using the integrated GPU. Without another MB or CPU to try though I have no way of knowing for sure unless someone else has something to offer.

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 76.5% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2011-10-14T21:42:46Z

I'm wondering... Did you try a different graphic card like I said? If you did and it doesn't work then it might give more credence to your CPU problem...

I'm having trouble figuring out what else to do, though Intel CPU's are usually known to work well in any motherboard; I have never heard of any problem relating to the GPU interfering with the other GPU... I mean usually the functions of GPU detection is handled by the northbridge and the northbridge in this case usually defaults to a PCI-E graphics card if it detects it. (In this case, the northbridge function is usually handled by the CPU.) I can either deduce that there's either something wrong with the northbridge/GPU on the CPU or that your graphics card is the problem...

I really hope you get through this, this is a really tough problem that you're having.

realneil
2011-10-14T22:01:43Z

nelsoncp21 wrote:

This board doesn't have a graphics port on it to even get it to boot using the integrated GPU.

Then there is nothing there to try to use the CPU'[censored]ard GPU. Your problem lies with the graphics card that you're trying to use. The board doesn't know if the CPU has the GPU or not.

That CPU is supported with your board according to the ASUS CPU Qualifier list. LOOK HERE

The ASUS page for your board is HERE.  You'll find links to sources of information there.

The product page for that board says that you have to have the proper BIOS for whatever CPU you have.

NOTE: There are two revisions of your CPU out there. (a C2 and a KO) each requires a different BIOS it seems.

rrplay
2011-10-14T22:12:15Z

realneil wrote:

Then there is nothing there to try to use the CPU'[censored]ard GPU. Your problem lies with the graphics card that you're trying to use. The board doesn't know if the CPU has the GPU or not.

That CPU is supported with your board according to the ASUS CPU Qualifier list. LOOK HERE

The ASUS page for your board is HERE.  You'll find links to sources of information there.

The product page for that board says that you have to have the proper BIOS for whatever CPU you have.

NOTE: There are two revisions of your CPU out there. (a C2 and a KO) each requires a different BIOS it seems.

that's  it ! was looking at the same  info and links for 2 different  BIOS  versions  >>> just a basic EZ Flash from a FAT 32/16 flash drive and should be good to go...you may have to hold down mem OK switch at first .>> load Defaults &  let us know how it goes ..

realneil
2011-10-14T22:45:17Z

rrplay wrote:

that's  it

~Almost~ ... [:)] ... I read it again and the later/newer bios flash is good for both CPU revisions.

And I retract my statement about the discrete GPU having a problem. The BIOS should be flashed first. Then try to get it going.

So while it may seem to be a temperamental board to get going, I'll bet that it turns out to be a good one once everything's working properly.

OptimusPrimeTime
2011-10-14T22:52:16Z

"You guys are on to something good, since I'm the novice I don't want to interfere, I just want to ask a question. Can a motherboard *post* Bios settings without a CPU, just using the Graphic Card? also Without RAM. Just asking for future reference and curiosity."

realneil
2011-10-14T22:57:40Z

OptimusPrimeTime wrote:

Can a motherboard *post* Bios settings without a CPU, just using the Graphic Card?

No, it can't. The CPU is truly the heart of the system. RAM is also required for it to work.

He'll need to find a CPU that's compatible with the older BIOS just to flash it so his CPU will work.

rrplay
2011-10-14T22:58:39Z

realneil wrote:

[quote user="rrplay"]that's  it

~Almost~ ... Smile ... I read it again and the later/newer bios flash is good for both CPU revisions.

So while it may seem to be a temperamental board to get going, I'll bet that it turns out to be a good one once everything's working properly.

yeah turns out it is a bit 'finicky' & still got those linked pages open .doesn't hurt to get some extra eye-balls on this one >> 1207 or 1702 BIOS

seems like others may needed  to flash incrementally    if errors  to post... Which BIOS vers. do you have now nelson ?

OptimusPrimeTime
2011-10-14T23:08:43Z

realneil wrote:

No, it can't. The CPU is truly the heart of the system. RAM is also required for it to work.

He'll need to find a CPU that's compatible with the older BIOS just to flash it so his CPU will work.

"Oh, ok. Thanks for the Info"