Guest
News
  •  News
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-08-31T15:27:38Z
The enticing SSD/HDD hybrid from OCZ that we mentioned earlier this summer, the RevoDrive Hybrid PCI Express, is ready to launch. One can be yours for $499.99 (MSRP).

The RevoDrive Hybrid is built to offer SSD performance and HDD storage capacity; specifically, 100GB SSD and 1TB HDD, in a PCIe form factor. The magic is in the Dataplex software, which is tasked with dynamically balancing which data should be run from the SSD and which from the HDD. The software will eve learn user behavior to effectively improve its own performance over time.

The drive boasts up to 910MBps bandwidth and 120,000 IOPS (4k random write) as well as OCZ’s proprietary Virtualized Controller Architecture (VCA) 2.0.



OCZ Technology Announces the High Performance RevoDrive Hybrid Storage Solution
Innovative Drive Combines Incredible SSD Performance and HDD Capacity in a Single 1TB Solution

SAN JOSE, CA - Aug. 31, 2011 - OCZ Technology Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:OCZ), a leading provider of high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, today announced the release of the RevoDrive Hybrid PCI Express (PCIe) storage solution. Designed to dramatically accelerate applications and system responsiveness, the RevoDrive Hybrid's superior combination of SSD and hard disk drive (HDD) technology is a revolutionary step forward for high-performance, economical storage.

The RevoDrive Hybrid integrates the benefits of both SSD and HDD technology into a single solution to offer both enhanced responsiveness and ample storage capacity. The drive comes bundled with Dataplex™ caching software which dynamically manages the use of the 100GB SSD with the 1TB HDD for superior overall storage performance. This combination creates an environment where the most frequently used "hot" data stays on the ultra-fast SSD, while the "cold" data remains on the larger capacity HDD. Advanced caching algorithms learn user behavior and adapt storage policies to ensure optimal performance for each individual user, maximizing productivity for the most demanded programs and applications. In addition, the drive not only eliminates the SATA bottleneck unleashing ground-breaking bandwidth up to 910MB/s, but also features up to 120,000 IOPS (4K random write) for high transactional workloads delivering true SSD-level performance. Finally, the RevoDrive Hybrid provides unique benefits to users by incorporating features of OCZ's proprietary Virtualized Controller Architecture (VCA) 2.0.

"The RevoDrive Hybrid leverages the best attributes of both solid state drives and traditional hard drive technology to deliver dynamic data-tiering on a single easy to deploy PCIe storage drive," said Ryan Petersen, CEO of OCZ Technology Group. "Leveraging Dataplex software to efficiently manage frequently accessed data delivers superior performance and capacity, making the RevoDrive Hybrid the ideal solution for high performance computing and media content creation."

The all-new OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid 1TB comes backed by a three-year warranty and will be available worldwide for an MSRP of $499.99, delivering the industry's best price per GB for SSD-level performance.
Sponsor
rapid1
2011-08-31T17:34:20Z

That is a pretty good combination. When I first looked at it I was thinking that price makes no sense, that is until I got the details. The price is high but so to it seems is both the performance and the size as well. This is very interesting and most likely on of the better combined devices and one of the most realistic ones going into the future to replace a standard mechanical HD.

omegadraco
2011-08-31T19:32:12Z

I just can't see taking up one of my PCIe slots up with a hard disk device... Though this tech is very cool and wow on the speed.

MCook
2011-08-31T20:38:28Z

500 bucks? No thanks, I'll stick with my SSD boot/OS Drive and 3 TB HDD.

realneil
2011-08-31T22:40:26Z

Using the extra PCI-E slots on many newer Intel mainboard platforms will slow down (by half) the speed of your primary PCI-E slot.

This is true of the Intel LGA-1155 & LGA-1156 flavors. It's only an X4 slot card, but if it negatively impacts my Video Card, it's a no-go for me.

This is the same idea as Seagate's Hybrid SATA-II drive, but it has more capacity in the SSD part and the overall capacity too. (and it's on the higher bandwidth PCI-E bus rather than on SATA)

As MCook says, A decent SATA-III SSD as a boot device, and a SATA-III HHD for storage yields damn nice performance for much less cash.

OptimusPrimeTime
2011-09-01T01:00:55Z

"I dont particularly like this product and price, but it has its audience, although I agree with Neil and others. This is better suited for a Workstation type of motherboard thas has those NF200 chips if someone is worried about bandwidth I guess"

"Off course , those are nice speeds, 900+ reads and writes. my questions is, there's a 60GB SSD from OCW that does 500mb reads and writes, if I Raid 0 two of them, will I get the speeds that the OCZ Hybrid claims to to do? If so, than it represents a better value, cause I can buy three in RaiD O and have money for 2TB of spinning HD storage or have two in Raid 0 and have a couple of 2TB hard drives for storage and back ups"

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 71.2% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2011-09-01T02:57:10Z

Wheatley wrote:

"Off course , those are nice speeds, 900+ reads and writes. my questions is, there's a 60GB SSD from OCW that does 500mb reads and writes, if I Raid 0 two of them, will I get the speeds that the OCZ Hybrid claims to to do? If so, than it represents a better value, cause I can buy three in RaiD O and have money for 2TB of spinning HD storage or have two in Raid 0 and have a couple of 2TB hard drives for storage and back ups"

Yes, You can RAID 0 both of those and assuming that it increases your performance by 2 exactly, it'll amount to 1GB of reads and writes. And yes, it does represent a better value but only if you spring for the Seagate drives instead of the Western Digital drives, and I don't know if you're a fan of Seagate or not.

Wheatley wrote:

This is better suited for a Workstation type of motherboard thas has those NF200 chips if someone is worried about bandwidth I guess"

You don't need an NF200 chip exactly. I mean this isn't exactly a graphics card, it's a SSD/Hybrid Disk combo drive that's designed to be installed on a PCI-E 1x slot. And even with those reads and writes, it won't exactly bottleneck the PCI-E slot, you won't have to worry about whether or not your motherboard has an NF200 chip because the PCI-E slots have ample bandwith for the hard drive described.

And the fact that it uses PCI-E 1x and the fact that it's bootable makes it especially viable to enterprise users as well as gamers who want to replace their old hard drive with a SSD/Hard Drive combo. And a plus is that it's easily more affordable then that PCI-E SSD they introduced earlier.

OptimusPrimeTime
2011-09-01T14:17:21Z

HarryHenderson wrote:

You don't need an NF200 chip exactly. I mean this isn't exactly a graphics card, it's a SSD/Hybrid Disk combo drive that's designed to be installed on a PCI-E 1x slot. And even with those reads and writes, it won't exactly bottleneck the PCI-E slot,

'Every website states thats it actually uses a PCIe X4 lane, not X1. So to my understanding, in a 1156 -55 mobo, placing it in the x4 slot would make the bandwith of the GPU in the first lane 16x, to a 8x. Or Mobos with dual GPU, it will make one of them run at 4x. Isn't this true?

HarryHenderson wrote:

Yes, You can RAID 0 both of those and assuming that it increases your performance by 2 exactly, it'll amount to 1GB of reads and writes. And yes, it does represent a better value but only if you spring for the Seagate drives instead of the Western Digital drives, and I don't know if you're a fan of Seagate or not.

"Thanks for clearing that up, I Might try it for my next setup'

-Wheatley

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 71.2% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2011-09-01T18:43:39Z

Wheatley wrote:

'Every website states thats it actually uses a PCIe X4 lane, not X1. So to my understanding, in a 1156 -55 mobo, placing it in the x4 slot would make the bandwith of the GPU in the first lane 16x, to a 8x. Or Mobos with dual GPU, it will make one of them run at 4x. Isn't this true?

No. I even asked a similar question about PCI-E bandwidth and whether or not a PCI-E sound card would affect the bandwidth on the 16x slot, your graphics cards will run at the same speed they've always ran at.