loumack
  •  loumack
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-08-21T22:38:48Z
Trying to reset the bios on my gateway solo 2500 laptop as the bios is protected by a password that has been forgotten. I am unable to figure out how to access the motherboard on this laptop. Have taken out all screws I can find but unable to figure out what should come apart on the case and where!?!?!? Believe once I get to the motherboard I should find something that will allow the bios reset. HELP!!!!
Sponsor
Icebane
2002-08-22T06:12:00Z
the computer starts right?
Go into dos, and type "Format C:"
I am pretty sure that is the only way now you have forgotten the password
loumack
  •  loumack
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-08-22T06:20:35Z
Thanks for the reply, however it is a bit more involved than that. The password is the power on setup password to enter the bios setup. The reason I need to access the bios is because the hard drive crashed and I had to replace it. Need to access bios to change the hard drive data to match the new hard drive. Just can't figure out how to get the freakin case off to access the motherboard. Laptops are hell!
loumack
  •  loumack
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-08-22T06:23:54Z
Wondering if anyone is aware of a website that may have info on removing the case or accessing/replacing the motherboard? The info certainly does not appear to be on the Gateway Website nor is it in any of the books that came with the laptop. Gateway tech support was no help. They wanted me to visit the "local gateway store"......NO WAY!
Icebane
2002-08-22T06:36:07Z
You should ask.. GATEWAYS_RULE. haha.

No man. Don't replace the motherboard. Format the pute you have, replace the software and buy a new BETTER BRAND laptop.

Or just format it and keep it, replacing the motherboard won't do anything for you.

OR... take it back to Gateways under warranty and get it done for FREE~!!!!
loumack
  •  loumack
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-08-22T07:31:48Z
Not trying to replace the motherboard. Just need to access it so I can reset the bios to remove the password protection. The laptop will not recognize the new hard drive until I can access the bios settings.
digitaldd
2002-08-22T08:02:25Z
Quote:

Originally posted by loumack
Not trying to replace the motherboard. Just need to access it so I can reset the bios to remove the password protection. The laptop will not recognize the new hard drive until I can access the bios settings.

go here for more than you ever wanted to know about BIOSes..

http://www.wimsbios.com/ 

They used to have a page on the site with common BIOS default passwords that worked on any motherboard with that particular BIOS but the page seems to have moved.. or is no longer..
poolguy
2002-08-22T11:07:48Z
there should simply be a battery on the motherboard that if you remove will clear the CMOS and will reset all bios setting to default. At least this is the case with desktop PC.
loumack
  •  loumack
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-08-22T20:13:13Z
Here is part of my original posting..."I am unable to figure out how to access the motherboard on this laptop. Have taken out all screws I can find but unable to figure out what should come apart on the case and where!?!?!? Believe once I get to the motherboard I should find something that will allow the bios reset. HELP!!!!"
Richard12
2002-08-22T22:42:34Z
I guess you have to realize theres a 50-50 chance of the laptop not working so I would just go all at the case. Try un[censored]everything so you can get to the mobo. Try the back the keyboard anything is better than what you have now.
loumack
  •  loumack
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2002-08-22T23:21:50Z
yea, just going to need to get down right nasty with the damn thing a start prying things apart. Was not a problem to remove the battery, memory, floppy drive, CD, NIC, etc. but still can't see or access the mother board. Next step...gonna start prying off the freakin keyboard letters....(maybe) :~)
Richard12
2002-08-23T07:52:23Z
Look around the memory for openings or anything. Also are there any pads or anything on the bottom cause if so the screws are probably under there.