realneil
  •  realneil
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2011-07-03T10:07:30Z

FYI,

There are new Quad Core AMD CPU's for sale at Tiger Direct now.

And I just found it for 10 bucks less at Newegg and free shipping too. [:)]

This has on board graphics that will work in conjunction with any 6000 series Radeon discrete card. I guess it's like a poor man's Crossfire? Anyway it looks like a nice low cost solution. One that I may order, just to try it out in my real world digital mosh-pit.

If any of you pull the trigger on one of these I'd like for you to keep us informed about your experiences with it.

Sponsor
Der Meister
2011-07-03T13:31:18Z

Hummm, that looks like a nice chip for a HTPC.... ideas afoot...

omegadraco
2011-07-03T15:09:47Z

It does look like a nice HTPC chip though it pulls 100Watts according to tigerdirect. I was looking at the Intel i3-2100T for a HTPC since it has enough power and is rated at 35W. I think a quad core is a bit overkill currently for a HTPC. Unless of course you are doing gaming on the machine in which case I would understand going with the higher powered chip.

Personally I am looking to build an HTPC that simply controls and records TV shows and steams from the internet in a small quite box. There are a lot of commercial solutions available but I would rather build my own.

realneil
  •  realneil
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-07-03T18:52:53Z

I don't need an HTCP at this point. But Newegg has deals on stuff to build them all of the time. HERE"S ONE

The part about it being able to "mate graphics" with a 6000 series Radeon Graphics card intrigued me. (Since I have an XFX Radeon HD6870 Black on the shelf at the moment) I'm wondering what the final graphics result would be in a gaming kind of way? It's not too expensive an idea to explore either,.......'ideas indeed',........

LBowen
2011-07-03T19:47:58Z

The benchmarks I have seen show it rocking graphically and a video I just watched really sent the message home.  They were playing Crysis 2 with an average 40FPS with no discrete graphics card [:O]  Graphics powerhouse for sure, even though they had some overclocking on the system that is very impressive to me.

realneil
  •  realneil
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-07-03T19:59:25Z

LBowen wrote:

Graphics powerhouse for sure, even though they had some overclocking on the system that is very impressive to me.

Found HH's review on this platform HERE. Lots of good info to read about, but the conclusion is that the new AMD platform is heavy on graphics performance when compared to the i3 setups. The Intel parts trump the AMD parts in CPU processing power.

The AMD boards almost doubled their graphics performance when coupled with a discrete GPU too.

This all leads me to a "I've never actually tried it yet" conclusion that AMD AND Intel are stepping up the game now, as in the past. They vary a little in their implementation, but both are providing much more power for far less cash these days.

Now for Bulldozer,....

It's a good time to be a consumer.

eunoia
2011-07-04T07:21:53Z
OptimusPrimeTime
2011-07-04T10:58:11Z

LBowen wrote:

The benchmarks I have seen show it rocking graphically and a video I just watched really sent the message home.  They were playing Crysis 2 with an average 40FPS with no discrete graphics card Surprise  Graphics powerhouse for sure, even though they had some overclocking on the system that is very impressive to me.

"Yeah, its impressive. Its one thing reading about it , but its another thing seeing it in action."

-Optimus

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kGwrqSntFs:560:349]

realneil
  •  realneil
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-07-04T11:42:37Z

OptimusPrimeTime wrote:

its another thing seeing it in action

Good post. It seems that the platform works well. All of the reviews talk about the leaps and bounds realized with a discrete card added into the mix. (a low end, inexpensive card as well) I like that this on-board GPU can augment your discrete GPU in such a positive way. So it's probably gonna happen that I buy into this platform and build one of these systems soon. If it's as good as it appears to be, I'll start offering to build them for others.

I do anticipate some sort of response from Intel, and I wonder what it will be. This is the kind of move by a competitor that they just can't ignore for long, and it may be part of a one-two punch by AMD considering that Bulldozer is around the corner.

It's an interesting situation developing here folks.