liorde
  •  liorde
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2000-09-17T09:02:38Z
Hello ,
I would like to know how to overclock my CPU. It is a 800MHZ AMD Athlon CPU. I have a KA7-100 mainboard. There is softmenuIII ythere but I do not know how to change the settings correctly.

Thank-you,.
LIOR
Sponsor
Venom
2000-09-17T13:22:38Z
The easy way would be to just up the FSB a little. Use that Softmenu to change it to 103mhz (or so) and then see if everything is working fine. Then after some time bumb the FSB up again to lets say 105mhz, keep going and stop when your system is the most stable. Ones windows starts crashing or it won't boot at all go back to the last good FSB and use that. The hard way would be tacking the casing of your Athlon and puttin a GFD on and changing the multiplier. You will get MUCH better results with that then FSB but it's also way harder. Hope that helped.

------------------
Mike
News/Reviews/Moderator
3D Gaming Daily
http://www.3dgamingdaily.com
Dodge1976
2000-10-03T01:34:38Z
I would suggest doing what i did and that is READ, READ, READ !!! Go to every tweaking site u know and then some more tweaking sites and check out all of their bios tweaking info u can find and then combine it all to what works best for your setup !!!

Taker Easy, Dodge

BTW : u should check out all the video card tweaks u can find also (some bios tweaks may not work with your video card tweaks)

Current System Specs :
-----------------------
ABIT KA7 mobo (RY Bios)
AMD Athlon K7 Week 16 650 Mhz @ 826Mhz (no GFD)
128Mb PC133 Corsair SDRAM (CAS 3)
Aureal A3D SQ2500 Vortex 2 Sound
Altec Lansing ACS56 Speaker System
Nvidia Riva TNT 2 (m64) 32Mb Video @ 140Mhz Core/165Mhz Memory (15Mhz OC) (6.11 Ref. Drivers)
20.5 Gig IBM ATA66 7200RPM
300 Watt Power Supply (approved)
Creative 52X CDROM
Generic Floppy
Netgear NIC
3Com NIC
Rockwell 56K Modem

Processor Cooling : Heatsink/single fan combo and two added fans
Video Card Cooling : Stock heatsink w/ added fan
Case Cooling : Cover off - (3) 80mm fans on side blowing in (separate PS) - desk fan on top blowing out

Bios Settings :
L2 Cache : 1/2
FSB : 127
SDRAM : HCLK+PCICLK
RAM Speed set to : Medium
Core Voltage : 1.80
I/O Voltage : 3.5
CPU Temp (idle) : 40C
CPU Temp (after gaming) : 45C
(both on avg. 85F day)
STABLE AS A ROCK !!!
FireWall
2000-10-03T05:53:38Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Dodge1976:

I would suggest doing what i did and that is READ, READ, READ !!! Go to every tweaking site u know and then some more tweaking sites....

I would suggest READ READ READ......in SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL, and then you would LEARN LEARN LEARN, that it's foolish to spend even MORE MORE MORE--MONEY MONEY MONEY on overclocking water-cooling kits, peltiers, etc., than if you had just bought a faster chip to begin with.

That's just STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!!

dualblade23
2000-10-03T15:44:38Z
k, from my above post it's pretty obvious that i favor overclocking but i could use a little help with it. here are my system specs:
thunderbird 800
asus a7v (with the dips)
mushkin cas2 ram
2 ibm 75gxp hard drives on a promise fasttrak100 raid controller
leadtek winfast gf2
sound blaster live platinum
linksys network card
usr gaming modem
tornado case with good cooling(4 or 5 case fans)
plexwriter 12/10/32
pioneer dvd 105s

i'm trying to overclock the damn thing. got my gf2 to 400 mem with factory cooling and i think 220 clock and that runs pretty stable so i'm pretty happy. got my fsb at 105 which i know is nothing, just a little start. i get about 7300 in 3dmark so this overclocking isn't about performance(although it never really hurts to have your system faster). i'm runnin the new WinME which seems about the same as 98se but the little enhansements are decent. i have a cpu with the L1's intact so i can use the dip switches on the board. i had it at 107fsb (and factory multi) and that caused some graphics issues(more on that later) and so the processor was goin at 856. i heard good things about changin the dipswitches so i figured i'd try that. my temps are fine - at 105fsb my idle is like 28 so i figured i had plenty of temperature headroom. i changed the multiplier to 8.5 and i couldn't get into windows. the mouse pointer would come up but then windows wouldn't come up or the icons or the background. in short, no go. i then took the fsb back down to 100 and undid my overclocking on the graphics card so everything would be factory. still nothing. same thing where my system wouldn't go into windows except this time the cpu was only at 850. this puzzles the hell out of me so i try to take the cpu voltage up to the max the mb will let me which is 1.85(well within spec for thunderbirds). still no full boot into windows. so now i'm askin for help - why would my system get 856 with fsb overclocking no problem but die at 850 with dipswitch settings. did i miss some other jumper on the motherboard that makes everything work? my other issue is that my pci and agp clocks may be running too high. this could be a bios thing - i don't have the new 1004 anymore cause that made my system freeze after like a minute in windows. back to 1002 - the factory bios. diagnostic programs seem to think my pci clock is at 51 and my agp clock is at 103. is there any program that i can use to set the clock dividers cause there's no spot where i can do it in my bios. i don't know if the diagnostic programs are right but if they are then i'd like to put these dividers lower so i can get higher on the fsb overclocking. please someone throw in your $.02 cause i can't figure out what's goin on with my system.
FireWall
2000-10-03T16:37:38Z
Quote:

Originally posted by dualblade23:

i can't figure out what's goin on with my system.

But wait........but wait.......I thought you were soooooo smart?

Hmmmmmm.

Anyway STUPID, I didn't say a peltier cost as much as a new processor. Don't you understand anything? I am talking about the DIFFERENCE in price between the 2 processors. I said that people who spend a little less on a slower chip, but then spend a bunch of money on water cooling, peltiers, extra case fans, etc., wind up spending as much as if they had just bought the faster chip to begin with versus buying the slower one with all the extra stuff.

Do you understand? The DIFFERENCE in price between the two chips, not a whole other chip. Geez.

Anyway, I also mentioned water-cooling systems, and if you actually read my post you would know that.

Like I said, there ARE a lot of people that buy water-cooling, extra case fans, and all kinds of crap, and by the time you add it up, they COULD have just bought a faster chip to begin with, and have a lot less trouble. PERIOD!

You can get a 900MHz T-bird for only $280. Get a damn job. Geez!

dualblade23
2000-10-03T18:42:38Z
sorry i came on a little strong in my first post. i thought i did talk about the price difference between two cpus. i said that it's cheaper to buy a thunderbird 800 with a peltier than a thunderbird 850. besides half the fun of overclocking is seeing how high you can go. most people who are starting with 600 have systems that are decent anyways. the overclocking just helps and it's also fun. if you can't see why someone would like to throw the time and effort and money into overclocking than you're probably not good at anything. overclocking is kind of a pursuit for excellence in computer hardware and the pursuit of excellence in any field requires time and effort and reading up on stuff and usually some money. but at the end you can feel like you earned it. if you buy a cpu at 900 and it runs 900 than that's all amd or intel. if you buy a cpu at 600 and take it to 900 than you get a sense of pride cause you added onto what the cpu maker started.
dualblade23
2000-10-04T02:45:38Z
firewall shut the hell up. you obviously don't know what your talkin about. peltiers cost MUCH less that a new cpu. you say overclockers aren't smart. well i say you're not smart. why pay a premium for the best cpu? isn't it smarter to find a "best bang for the buck" cpu and throw on a $40 peltier then to buy the most expensive thing out there? case in point: the thunderbird 800 costs $US157 according to sharkyextreme.com. the 850 costs $US215. now since you're so smart, you tell me what makes more sense money wise: do you buy an 800 and a peltier or an 850 and a decent fan. the 800 will go higher with a peltier than an 850 with just a fan and it is still cheaper. sure you could go out and buy the 1ghz athlon (which is what you suggest) or you could buy an 800 and a peltier for less than the cost of an 850 and get to 1ghz through overclocking fsb and (maybe) multiplier. also you have to realize that computer technology advances pretty quickly so even if you buy the newest chip, in a year or so you might want it faster. why buy a new processor for between 100-300 bucks when you can get cheap overclocking for 40 with a peltier. a truly smart buyer would get the cpu with the best bang for the buck and tweak it a bit.
jagoff
2000-10-06T19:30:38Z
Ya... but you can get a Duron 600 for $75 and overclock it to 950mhz like I did. All you need is a big F&%cking heatsink and fan and good airflow through the case.

Best bang for the buck!!! I'm trying 1G next!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by FireWall:
But wait........but wait.......I thought you were soooooo smart?

Hmmmmmm.

Anyway STUPID, I didn't say a peltier cost as much as a new processor. Don't you understand anything? I am talking about the DIFFERENCE in price between the 2 processors. I said that people who spend a little less on a slower chip, but then spend a bunch of money on water cooling, peltiers, extra case fans, etc., wind up spending as much as if they had just bought the faster chip to begin with versus buying the slower one with all the extra stuff.

Do you understand? The DIFFERENCE in price between the two chips, not a whole other chip. Geez.

Anyway, I also mentioned water-cooling systems, and if you actually read my post you would know that.

Like I said, there ARE a lot of people that buy water-cooling, extra case fans, and all kinds of crap, and by the time you add it up, they COULD have just bought a faster chip to begin with, and have a lot less trouble. PERIOD!

You can get a 900MHz T-bird for only $280. Get a damn job. Geez!

jagoff
2000-10-07T13:30:38Z
Well I brought the Duron 600 up to 1G last night with a 1.85 core voltage and it ran Prime 95 and "CPU Stability Test" just fine. The only problem is that my CPU temp crested at 67C. I'm not fond of that situation so I will be getting a Global Win FOP38 in the near future. Expensive heatsink but I basically only paid $75US for a 1ghz processor.
Then I started plying with multiplier and FSB settings and found a very nice combination of settings in the Softmenu of my Abit KT7-RAID:

-FSB/PCI -- 105/35
-CPU FSB plus -- 1
freq. mult. -- 9

Basically what this means is that my FSB/MEMORY clock is running at 105mhz which is about all my PC100 CAS2 can handle. Then the FSB/CPU is running at 106 (due to the CPU +1 factor) and then multiplied by 9 gives a nice round number of 954mhz.

Why not just 9.5 * 100?

The benchmarks show that the extra 5mhz in memory/bus bandwidth, extra 6 mhz in cpu/bus bandwidth (which equals 12mhz on the EV6 bus)and the extra 4 mhz in CPU cycles makes a significant difference. Also, the tiny overclock on the PCI bus sqeezes just a little bit more out of the RAID controller and all my PCI devices.

By the way, anyone who wants to overclock the Duron or T-Bird, I used the pencil method and it worked for me. It takes a steady hand and good eyes, so don't let grampa do it. All you have to do it use a .5mm HB mechanical pencil to connect all the 4 "Golden Bridges" marked by "L1" on the top of the CPU. Then just dial up whatever speed you want through Softmenu or jumpers. If you don't have either one then you need a slap for buying a ****ty board. (just kidding) But really, you are out of luck in this case unless you want to do some MAJOR board modifications (NOT).

Good luck and have fun! I'll post some Sandras sometime soon.

------------------
I will never hesitate to make fun of Americans
Dodge1976
2000-10-19T22:59:38Z
Hey FireWall, do us all a favor and shut the hell up till you learn a little about overclocking !!!
FunK
  •  FunK
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2000-11-10T10:36:38Z
IMHO:

OCing is well worth it in the end.

Say you bought a 500Mhz CPU for $400 when the 750 CPUs are $800

You saved 400
OC it to 700 spending even $150 for cooling.
You saved $250 It is faster than a stock 700 CPU as well, since your entire system is OC'd (assuming that you bumped up the FSB to OC).

Then you decide it's time to upgrade.
You spend $320 on a 1Ghz CPU when 1.2Ghz CPUs are top of the line.
You save more money.
You OC it to 1150 or 1200Mhz, Using the same HSF or cooling sytem.
You save $ again.

OCing is not about saving $. It just happens to be a HUGE benefit.

OCing is about pushing your system, trying new things and learning.
It's also about having fun, bragging rights, and stuff like that. If you want to go out and spend all types of money for a top of the line CPU every few months, not to push it to the limits, be my guest.
I'll stay over here on the OCing side of the house and laugh. With the $ saved, you can keep your system in top notch shape and actually afford other nice things.
Do the math. You'll see that OCing is a great way to get more performance for less money. If it wasn't, would it be such a hot topic on these forums?

Peace,
FunK
DaBlow
2000-11-17T13:36:38Z
Dualblade, I am not shure if I understood you correctly, but you said that you left the l1 bridges intact. If that is what you meant to say then that is your problem. All Thunderbirds & Durons come multiplier locked. There are 2 ways you can change the multiplyer: 1) Break the connection to the proper bridges and the connect back the proper bridges (depending on what new multipliyer setting you want to use) using conductive ink. 2) Buy a mobo with that dip switches to change the multiplyer. You still need to sever the right bridges to "unlock" the cpu before you can change it's multi setting on the mobo. IF you do not do this, the motherboard will think that the cpu is running at a different speed alltogether (8*100 =800 Mhz 9*100=900 Mhz )and it will never boot, EVER!!!!

Go to [url="http://www.tomshardware.com"]www.tomshardware.com[/url] to find out what exact bridges to sever.
topaz2k
2000-11-19T23:33:38Z
Hey guys. mebbe im off topic but,,,

i was wondering how much an athlon 700 mhz (socket a) with an asus a7v mobo can go up to. iTs cooled by a globalwin fop 38 VANTEC. I keep my case open and i have 2 system fans. ANy imputs?
Venom
2000-11-20T21:11:38Z
950mhz should be no prob, maybe even 1ghz, and if lucky 1050-1100mhz. That is of course if you can change multiplier, if not then I'd day anything (havent seen higher FSB then 133 with an Athlon though) as long as your mobo can handle it (by using FSB) and PCI slots can.