krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-25T01:39:39Z

Hi all,

So I had a dell inspiron 1525 laptop that worked perfect but didn't display. I hooked it up to an external monitor and I got video fine. So I figured it was the screen itself.

So i got a replacement LCD from ANOTHER Inspiron 1525 that worked fine ( cept the HD was bad). I took the screen off...to put it with the first dell I just told you about.  I'm 100% positive the replacement screen worked fine.

So I replace the screen, route the wires, connect it all up...but now I have no power to the laptop at all. When I plug in the battery, there's nothing. If I disconnect the power cord and just give it a go running on battery..still nothing. No lights, nothing. Absolutely dead. This is strange to me. it all worked perfect beforehand when I had it hooked up to the external monitor. But ever since I replaced the lcd, i got no power.  I didn't really do anything with regard to the PSU or any of that. All I did was take the power panel off, then the keyboard so I could route the wires and hook everything up. IS there something I'm missing? Keep in mind that I replaced the entire lid. I figured it was  just as easy rather than taking the screen itself out of the lid and putting the replacement in it. SO I just swapped the full screen. I did NOT swap the inverter board. Should I?

Super Dave
2010-10-25T01:52:20Z

krikle wrote:

I did NOT swap the inverter board. Should I?

I would pull the LCD plug at the motherboard and then reconnect the plug from the old screen and see if it still powers-on like it used to. 

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-25T02:13:27Z

Hi,

I just tried what you said. And I got power...but no display. Does this mean I must replace the inverter or..is this an issue with the lcd cable from the replacement lcd? Cause the replacement screen did work fine before I switched it.

Super Dave
2010-10-25T12:00:29Z

You could try swapping the inverter from the old screen over to the replacement LCD and see if that works.

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-25T13:20:09Z

Hi,

Before I read this message..I did just that. I replaced the inverter and now everything works fine. I tried the OLD screen with the NEW inverter board..and still a black screen. So I guess the screen and the inverter was gone...  Thanks for your help

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-25T15:09:57Z

Umm....one more problem :(

When i swapped the inverter and the monitor, everything worked perfect. The computer booted up to windows fine and the display was perfect. The only thing was the mouse wasn't working. The mouse cable on the mobo wasn't in that great a shape..so i swapped it with a better one. Every since then...I turned the power on...and it shut off once. So then I plugged the power cord into the laptop, thinking the battery might have died.  When I plugged it in..the dell splash screen loaded up and the computer seemed to be booting fine..but then there was smoke coming from the LCD cable!!  I shut it off immediately. Made sure the cable was seated properly... turned it on... it did again. A small stream of smoke coming from the LCD cable..now there's a tiny black spot on the grey LCD cable..cause of the smoke. Please help :(

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-25T15:29:03Z

Seems like ever since I replaced the cable for the mouse, its been doing this. Never had any problem before.

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-25T20:45:26Z

Hi again... I don't mean to be a bother posting several times in a row...

But MY BAD..I swapped the led power panel from the other one..NOT the inverter. Besides the small stream of smoke I mentioned earlier....  it will not power on now at all. When I plug the cord in..the blue light comes on for a sec..the comptuer turns on for a sec then shuts off. Then theres no power what so ever. Everything was working fine after I swapped the screen and power LED panel....but then I swapped the mouse cable cause it wasn't working. Ever since I connected the mouse..now all these problems...

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-26T13:35:00Z

No replies?????????!! 

There's absolutely no power now to the laptop

Super Dave
2010-10-27T00:08:09Z

I would pull both the mouse cable and the LCD cable and see if it will power up, krikle.

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-27T13:02:42Z

Hi,

So I've got the laptop working perfectly now. I replaced the LCd cable with another identical one and used a different motherboard. You see, I had 2 identical laptops..so between the both of them.... Everything works perfect.... accept the touchpad for some strange reason.

Whenever I have the touchpad disconnected from the motherboard...the computer powers on and boot sup perfectly. However, when I connect the touchpad...and I plug the power cord in,  The led indicator light will come on indicating its plugged in and charging..but the computer will not power on when I hit the power button. I disconnect the touchpad..bam..works perfect.  This isn't a huge deal as I can just hook a USB mouse up to it but...  Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

edit:  I know its pretty common for laptops to run warm but..seems to me to be a little warm around the touchpad area... and near the bottom of the screen...

Super Dave
2010-10-27T22:40:53Z

krikle wrote:

I disconnect the touchpad..bam..works perfect.

The touchpad is incorporated into the palm rest. Does the other laptop have a palm rest that you could swap-in?

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-27T22:50:47Z

By palm rest... you mean the whole top 'panel' of the computer. I know there is a circuit board or card under the palm rest where one end of the mouse cable is plugged into..and the other end of the cable is into the motherboard. What if I replaced that 'card' .... I do have another palmrest as you call it... but the one that's on the laptop now is in a bit better condition. Right now I'm using it with a USB mouse..which is working fine..just a bit inconvenience.

Also..why would having the touchpad connected to the motherboard cause the computer to not power up at all?

Super Dave
2010-10-28T00:34:52Z

krikle wrote:

why would having the touchpad connected to the motherboard cause the computer to not power up at all?

I dunno...maybe because the touchpad is defective![:D] If you take the other palm rest (as Dell refers to the whole top panel) and temporarily set it into place you can confirm whether or not you have a defective touchpad. By the way, you seem to have no trouble dissecting a laptop, and I commend you. Just in case you don't already know, the Dell website also has some good illustrations as to how to rip that thing apart!

krikle
  •  krikle
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-10-28T00:43:17Z

Even though I'm taking the first line as sarcasm..thanks lol. I'm a computer tech and I don't have any trouble disecting anything. yes I know the manuals are there at Dell. I've glanced at them before but pretty much know my way around them anyway. I'm actually not a fan of Dells at all. This is one I'm doing for my bro. As I said, I got it all together and working fine cept for the touchpad.  Thanks though I may give it a go a bit later.

So yeah I'm a computer tech and I consider myself pretty good at what I do..but once in a while I get stuck and seek out some help on here. Hey, I'm only human lol and don't claim to know everything. That, and I also have a habit of working in the middle of the night.. sometimes after a few hrs sleep I come back and its crystal clear haha.  I'm just busy servicing others in the day  and I been working on this one in my spare time lately. Thanks for all your help!