crazy51guy
2010-08-04T22:44:50Z

Hey guys, I’m looking for some quick advice about some

monitor cords.  I just bought a new

Viewsonic 22” led monitor for an awesome deal from amazon.  Here is the link if you guys are interested: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HFCDLY/ref=oss_product

But anyways, the cords provided were not long enough for me

so I was hoping to get new ones.  I’ve

been doing some research and figured DVI cables would be best for me.  I’m looking at this cable at walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/V7-V7-DV4141-10-10-Replacement-M-M-DVI-Cable-by-Belkin/13213256

I think it’s what I need but I just want to make sure before

I order it.  I've read that the longer the cable the worse the quality output on the monitor.  Do you guys think 10 feet will hurt?  Right now I have two really,

really old VGA cables put together so I think that probably isn’t helping this

new great monitor.  I just have a very basic video card with a DVI output.  My new computer is going to be a HP p6540f so it will have integrated graphics with the DVI (I don't play computer games....lol).   I want a blazing fast pc to multi task with, so I'm hoping this will be the one.  Any advice would be

greatly appreciated!

Oh BTW, I think I found a pretty sweet deal on an external

hard drive.  I'm planning on using it to back up my important files.  It’s 120GB Western Digital

for 29 bucks! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Western-Digital-120GB-Elements-Portable-HD/14690000

Sponsor
acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-08-05T00:19:48Z

I can't really tell if that is a DVI-D or a DVI-I cable.

You want a Dual link DVI-D cable.

Like this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816013

Or see the graph for what the pins should look like. Again... You want a Dual link DVI-D cable

crazy51guy
2010-08-05T03:08:40Z

^Awesome.  I'll just buy the one you linked me to then...seems like a fair deal w/ good reviews.  Thanks again for your help....nice car btw.  My new setup is going to be sweet! [Y]

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-08-05T22:51:17Z

Glad I could help 🙂

And thanks for the compliment on my car. She's my baby :-P

What are the specs of your new computer going to be?

crazy51guy
2010-08-12T23:45:52Z

Just a little update...I got the DVI cable and it's awesome.  It's so much more clear.  Before the icons were blurry and everything just wasn't clear.  Thanks again for the quick advice!  

The computer I'm about to buy has the following specs:

HP Pavilion p6540f Desktop PC:

Key Features & Benefits:

• AMD Phenom II quad-core 830 processor
    2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache

• 8GB DDR3 system memory
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

• 1TB SATA hard drive
    Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more

• SuperMulti DVD burner with Lightscribe technology
    Watch DVD movies on your computer; read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

• 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
    Connect to a broadband modem or a wired broadband router with wired Ethernet, or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC

• ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics

Additional Features:

• 15-in-1 digital media card reader
  • 6 x USB 2.0 ports, 2 x USB 1.1 ports, 1 x headphone jack, 1 x microphone jack, 1 x VGA port, 1 x DVI-D port, 1 x microphone/line-in/line-out jack, 1 rear speaker out, 1 x side speaker out, 1 x center (subwoofer) out, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x FireWire (IEEE 1394) port, 1 x optical digital audio out
  • 3 x PCI Express x1 slots, 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, 1 x MiniCard slot; 2 x external 5.25" expansion bays, 1 x external 3.5" expansion bay, 2 x internal 3.5" expansion bays

Software:

• Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)
  • Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 (60-day trial)
  • Microsoft Works 9.0
  • Norton Internet Security 2010 (60 days of complimentary updates)
  • HP MediaSmart Software Suite
  • HP Total Care Advisor; Backup & Restore options built into Windows allow you to create safety copies of your most important personal files, so you're always prepared for the worst.

Support and Warranty:

• 1-year limited hardware warranty and 1-year software support; 24/7 technical assistance available online or toll-free by phone
  • Restore discs are no longer included with PCs. We recommend you use the installed software to create your own restore & backup DVD the first week you use the computer.

What's In The Box:

• Power supply and power cord
  • HP USB keyboard
  • HP USB optical mouse
  • Quick Start Guide and documentation

Let me know what you guys think.  Like I said, I want to multi task like crazy.  20-30 internet tabs open, itunes, photoshop, etc, etc.  And I don't really need to play any games.

eagle1984
2010-10-09T03:16:22Z

good dealing and working

mentaldisorder
2010-10-10T21:59:06Z

What's the price of the computer you posted and what gpu does it have?  Which Adobe Suite do you use?

crazy51guy
2010-10-10T23:41:39Z

I think the computer I listed before was around $650-700 and it had integrated graphics.  But I actually already bought my computer and decided on a different route and would recommend it to anyone.  Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-350t PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
• FREE UPGRADE! 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs] from 6GB
• FREE UPGRADE! 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 640GB
• Microsoft Office Starter 2010
• Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month
• 512MB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
• No speakers
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Integrated Ethernet port, No wireless LAN
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
• No TV Tuner
• Integrated sound
• HP wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

All of that was about $950 shipped with tax and well worth it.  I found this really useful chart of all the processor benchmarks:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

If you click on high end processors it compares them all.  The AMD I posted earlier got about a 3,500 score and the i7 computer that I ended up buying had a score of 5,500.  It's well worth it b/c this thing is super fast.  I'm using Adobe CS5 and it literally opens in 2 seconds with Google Chrome open (25 tabs open) and itunes playing too....lol.