Kyouya
  •  Kyouya
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-07-18T18:41:17Z

I have been saving money to buy a computer in the near future. However, recently, I discovered a very simple way to watch HD videos by using a software called PS3 media server. Basically, it transcodes the files into a readable format through the PS3 and outputs it through hdmi on my HDTV.

I currently own a Pentium 4 prescott 3.2 ghz with 1 gig DDR ram (monitor: Samsung P2370HD). I have a dying GeForce 6600GT card that has no fan. The warranty expired and it's been running at its current state for a couple of years now.

I do like to do some video and photo editing, but I wouldn't consider it as a big priority. I would occasionally play PC games pending that the system and the video can support it. I shift most of my loyalty to console and handheld games because upgrading PC parts for games just became too expensive.

I have seen what an i3 is capable of...since I bought it for my father for his new custom build PC on father's day. I am just wondering if i7 is going overboard since I can use PS3 media server for the majority of my HD video watching....

Sponsor
AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 71.2% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-18T21:40:57Z

Kyouya wrote:

I have been saving money to buy a computer in the near future. However, recently, I discovered a very simple way to watch HD videos by using a software called PS3 media server. Basically, it transcodes the files into a readable format through the PS3 and outputs it through hdmi on my HDTV.

I currently own a Pentium 4 prescott 3.2 ghz with 1 gig DDR ram (monitor: Samsung P2370HD). I have a dying GeForce 6600GT card that has no fan. The warranty expired and it's been running at its current state for a couple of years now.

I do like to do some video and photo editing, but I wouldn't consider it as a big priority. I would occasionally play PC games pending that the system and the video can support it. I shift most of my loyalty to console and handheld games because upgrading PC parts for games just became too expensive.

I have seen what an i3 is capable of...since I bought it for my father for his new custom build PC on father's day. I am just wondering if i7 is going overboard since I can use PS3 media server for the majority of my HD video watching....

Since you have the Prescott Pentium 4, I'm assuming that your motherboard has an LGA775 slot. I'm wondering, does your motherboard support putting a Core 2 Duo in there, cause if it can then it can make your computer work good as new for as cheap as you want the Core 2 Processor to be.

Also what socket do you have? AGP or PCI-E, you know you can buy an ATI or an NVIDIA (not if you have AGP) card that can process the HD video for you, It doesn't have to be expensive, mostly any card that has support for Hardware HD Processing can make your videos run silky smooth without having to rely on PS3 media server, so you can entirely cut out the middleman.

Anything else I need to know?

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-19T00:52:09Z

Is your P4 system a custom built system? If it's custom then you should be able to update the BIOS and slap a Core 2 chip in there.

But you'll still be using that slower ram.

What kind of budget are you looking at if you decide to build a new system?

Kyouya
  •  Kyouya
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-07-19T03:32:48Z

Let me explain how old, how bad and how terrible this system is. You see, for years, I've been trying to replace it. In fact, there are times I have even try to win one in this web site.

The socket is not LGA 775..Oh no..it goes back further. That's right. It's a LGA 478 socket on a microATX motherboard that was NOT custom built by my own hands. Did I mention I have a terrible case with horrible ventilation?

As you would expect, since it is a ghastly old motherboard, I am using a AGP slot for my video card.

If anyone wants to see the inside of my computer let me know. I'll gladly post pictures to show how bad it is (pending this site gives the option to post pictures on forums). I hope this gets HOTHARDWARE's attention on how desperately need a new computer.

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-19T05:07:45Z

In case you don't win....

You did mention you were saving money... so what kind of budget are we talking about?

Also Socket 478 was a ZIF socket, not a LGA socket 😛 But yes, it is old lol

Kyouya
  •  Kyouya
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-07-21T00:16:57Z

Possibly around 700-1000 budget since I will be putting some old stuff I have into it. I have a WD 1.5TB EADS drive and a very nice pioneer dvd-rw drive. I'll be using those.

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-21T00:50:33Z

For $1k you can build a pretty nice system.

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-21T01:39:52Z

Corsair 850w PSU  - $130

4GB Corsair DD3 1600 7-7-7-20 timings - $120

EVGA P55 MB w/ SLI support - $180

Intel Core i7 860 LGA1156 chip - $290

Nvidia GTX 460 1GB- $230

Total - $950

I dunno if you already have a case, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. but I left all that out. You already said you have the HDD and ODD. So I didn't add one.

You can save more money going with a Core i5 chip. And if you want a new case I didn't select one because that is up to your personal preference.

If you want to save even more money, you can go with an AMD system.

Kyouya
  •  Kyouya
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-07-21T04:24:51Z

lol no thanks on the AMD. I plan to get Corsair PSU and ram. As for the Core i7, I'm gonna wait for the new i7 lineup arriving in August. I do need a HDD for the OS since there is no way I'm gonna run it on WD Green. I'll probably get a WD Black (although it is a bit noisy). I'm going with a Asus MB as well. As for the case, I plan to get the Coolmaster HAF 932. No need for a new keyboard...however, a mice may be replaced.

Btw, you're gonna have to bring up CAD pricing since I live in Canada.

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-21T05:00:16Z

ooooohhhhh, did not know you were in Canada lol

You might need to save a bit more then if you want a good gaming system lol

crowTrobot
2010-07-21T11:19:39Z

Kyouya wrote:

lol no thanks on the AMD. I plan to get Corsair PSU and ram. As for the Core i7, I'm gonna wait for the new i7 lineup arriving in August. I do need a HDD for the OS since there is no way I'm gonna run it on WD Green. I'll probably get a WD Black (although it is a bit noisy). I'm going with a Asus MB as well. As for the case, I plan to get the Coolmaster HAF 932. No need for a new keyboard...however, a mice may be replaced.

Btw, you're gonna have to bring up CAD pricing since I live in Canada.

I feel you man, the prices suck up here.  I'm just looking at the 460 price differences right now in the US and the local shops here in Toronto and its 50 dollars mroe expensive :/  I wish I lived in a port city.  Transportation of goods via train/trucks adds a lot more to the price. Not to mention Canadian tax which just kills.

For Canadians, Bewawa.com has awesome deals right now on HDDs, I bought a Caviar Black 640GB for 49.99 and a Seagate 7200.12 500GB for 39.99 + tax and they do free delivery if you live in Toronto.  or you can just use their HDD prices to pricematch on NCIX if you want.

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R for best price/performance mobo for sure if you are going X58.  I think even up here it sells for $220 (the non-revised, X58-UD3R version sells for under $200, its the one with 4 DIMM slots instead of 6). For 1156, there are plenty of cheap ones to choose from between Gigabyte and Asus.

If you want to save more money, go with the 922 instead of the 932.  The 922 is actually better featurewise than the 932 IMO.  Its just in mid-tower form. Haf 932 sells for as low as less than 90 up here while the 932 sells for 150 or more.

Power supply costs more here than in the states as well. We cant seem to get Corsair 750 for less than $120 (and that's on a good day with rebates) while its $110 on newegg.com (US) all the time. If you want to save money on this, you really have to time it right as there are often good rebates with Corsair but they only last for a few days. NCIX has these all the time so just wait for it, and when it goes on sale buy it immediately.

EDIT: Damn do I envy you Americans with your great computer deals!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0331303

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-21T18:37:39Z

$110 for a 2TB hdd!! That's just awesome! If only I had some money laying around i'd be all over that! I'd pick up like 6 of them lol

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 71.2% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-21T22:54:07Z

Kyouya wrote:

Let me explain how old, how bad and how terrible this system is. You see, for years, I've been trying to replace it. In fact, there are times I have even try to win one in this web site.

The socket is not LGA 775..Oh no..it goes back further. That's right. It's a LGA 478 socket on a microATX motherboard that was NOT custom built by my own hands. Did I mention I have a terrible case with horrible ventilation?

As you would expect, since it is a ghastly old motherboard, I am using a AGP slot for my video card.

If anyone wants to see the inside of my computer let me know. I'll gladly post pictures to show how bad it is (pending this site gives the option to post pictures on forums). I hope this gets HOTHARDWARE's attention on how desperately need a new computer.

Socket 478? I thought the Prescott CPU's used LGA775 as their socket?

I had the same sort of computer as you, a Sony VAIO, it had horrible ventilation and get this, it was not upgradable. The motherboard was bolted down with some screws that even broke the heads of the screwdriver. Now that's a f'ed up computer there.

acarzt
  •  acarzt
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2010-07-22T01:52:41Z

Prescott was launched on both Sockets.

I had a Prescott too. Mine was a LGA775 variant tho. Altho I was not furtunate enough to get the 64-bit version lol

Those things used to overclock like a dream tho :-)

crowTrobot
2010-07-22T10:48:36Z

I have a 530HT and its socket 775 although it might not be LGA, its the regular socket white socket.  Never bothered to overclock it as it runs crazy hot already (it's a Dell system).

BTW

Kyouya, how is your experience with PS3 media server?

I don't own a playstation but I have a Sony TV that I think has DLNA and I can use the PS3 media server with a little mod.  How well does it handle mkv files? subtitles? Upscaling resolution?  I use windows media server right now but it only does avi and mp4 and the resolution/video quality sucks.