3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2010-04-30T09:24:58Z

No, my account hasn't been hacked:

Bryan from The Linux Action Show gave a great talk at LinuxFest Northwest 2010 this past week, entitled "Why Desktop Linux (Still) Sucks.  And what we can do about it.

The presentation has a lot of good info about the specific areas where Linux is still in need of work, and might be informational to any Windows users who are wondering whether or not it's good enough for them (yet). 

No matter whether you love or hate Linux, it's a very interesting presentation highlighting the areas where Linux still needs standardization and/or improvement.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgahANeq14]

[UPDATE]:  If it were me, I would have gone off for at least half an hour on ATI's video drivers alone.  I just had such a bad experience with them that I removed the card and replaced it with a much lower nVidia card.

Sponsor
Der Meister
2010-04-30T21:45:31Z

very good information and a good video... 

3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2010-05-01T00:52:31Z

Der Meister wrote:

very good information and a good video... 

Yeah...  those Jupiter Broadcasting guys are alright.  I've been watching The Linux Action Show for a few weeks now, and while I hate the stupid voice stuff they do with the mic's, I love to hear the information the disseminate.

-J

Der Meister
2010-05-01T01:32:14Z

I have played around with both ubuntu and fedora. each had its nice parts. I only use it on the lappy so I can increase it battery life. On the desktop I have to run win 7 I have an ati card and well you already know those drivers suck! even the Nvidia ones were not the best but it did allow my to run a better gui

3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2010-05-02T12:14:59Z

The ATI drivers seemed to work fine with the new KWin and desktop effects in Kubuntu 10.04, I just didn't like having half of my Wine games not working.

My theory is that it's probably half ATI's fault, and half due to the fact that the Wine code is still in need of heavy development.  I wouldn't blame the Wine developers if all they owned were nVidia cards (and therefore only tested/wrote-to the nVidia implementation of OpenGL), because for years the ATI proprietary drivers performed so relatively poor as far as speed goes.

There are now open source drivers for both ATI and nVidia cards, but those are in such an early state that the 3D support is basic and slow.  So, for now, the best advice for anyone buying/building a system where they might want to run Linux and 3D is still to go with an nVidia card (and use the proprietary nVidia driver).