News
  •  Ray
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-04-04T12:05:54Z
Dell doesn't usually make a big deal about new business notebooklaunches, but the newest two are notable for a number of reasons. TheLatitude laptop line has been around for years, and while most of themgo to corporate offices, they're still solid machines for the on-the-goworker or even the average customer who simply doesn't want to pay forloads of GPU horsepower but still needs a clean, classy chassis.

Starting with the 14.1" Latitude E6410, this simple, understatedmachine strikes a balance between the bulk in "standard" sizednotebooks and the small screen that comes on ultraportables. What'sunique about these business machines is the power available; manybusiness machines scale back when it comes to internals, but the E6410can be ordered with Core i5 or Core i7 processors, Windows 7 or Vista,an Intel QM57 Express chipset, 1280x800 or 1440x900 resolution panels,two DDR3 DIMM slots (enough for up to 8GB of memory), room for a harddrive or solid state drive, an optional drive (DVD or Blu-ray),Ethernet, Intel HD integrated graphics, an optional internal modem andall sorts of wireless connectivity options (802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, WiMAX,GPS, EV-DO, Bluetooth, etc.).

If you need something a little bigger, the Dell Latitude E6510 offers a15.6" panel, along with a more powerful Core i7 CPU option and theability to get a screen with a 1080p resolution. Otherwise, thespecification lists look essentially identical. Both laptops areavailable now, with the E6410 starting at $1014 and the E6510 startingat $1681.
Sponsor
RyuGTX
2010-04-04T16:30:52Z

Funny how they still offer Windows Vista as an OS option. Not only that, but on the Lattitude model that is aimed at business users.

la_guy_10
2010-04-04T18:54:46Z

Good to see Dell going with the core i5 and core i7 processors with these laptops. They should get decent battery life as well as they are using Intel integrated graphics. The option to get a screen with 1080p is also sweet as Dell is known for using some top quality screens. Price looks a little steep on the E6510 but if the performance is there, it might be worth it to some.

3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2010-04-04T19:18:04Z

>> on the Lattitude model that is aimed at business users.

That's probably why they're doing it. Some businesses already have Vista machines, and don't want to have a mix in the environment until they upgrade them all to Win7 (post SP1).

Kyouya
2010-04-05T02:15:31Z

I'm trying to put two and two together here. Why would you need a core i7 for a business laptop? I could understand a core i5. The price doesn't justify the features for a businessman.

animatortom
2010-04-05T04:12:54Z

Not really impressed with the price.

Although if they made their mobile workstation close to this price, then maybe. I guess when you target businesses. You need to jack up the price, so when you get that one company with thousands of employees. It will be the jackpot!

RyuGTX
2010-04-05T18:47:26Z

3vi1 wrote:

>> on the Lattitude model that is aimed at business users.

That's probably why they're doing it. Some businesses already have Vista machines, and don't want to have a mix in the environment until they upgrade them all to Win7 (post SP1).

I thought that pretty much all businesses held off and didn't make the switch to Vista, especially switching the whole company over.