News
  •  Ray
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-03-31T10:33:43Z
http://www.logitech.com/news/harmony300Additional  information on the entire Harmony remote line is available at www.logitech.com/harmony. 
Sponsor
animatortom
2010-03-31T10:57:59Z

Man, this looks like a Generic cable remote! Looks more like a $10 remote:P

I am waiting for them to break the $50 barrier with a touch screen universal!

They better hurry, because all these smartphones are going to start having Home theatre remote Apps really soon!

Then when your entire HT is run through your computer, then what will they do!

InfinityzeN
2010-03-31T12:38:54Z

Actually this looks like it has a lot better build quality then any of those generic cable remotes. Plus, dispite what they say, those remotes do not work well for controlling everything and are a lot more than $10.

The Harmony series has performed exceptionally well since its release. No idea if this cheaper version will rate as well, but its software and programability should still be best in class.

la_guy_10
2010-03-31T13:13:44Z

This is a great remote I am sure as Logitech is another quality peripheral device maker. If I had a TV I would definitely check this one out as this will be the only remote you need for multiple devices in your living room, entertainment room, ect. Kudos Logitech for bringing a great product to the masses for under $50.

Inspector
2010-03-31T15:40:56Z

My cable remote does all that so i got no need for this until my cable remote breaks 😃 then i might grab one for these to try to maybe a better one when new ones come out :)

InfinityzeN
2010-03-31T15:56:51Z

This is the cheapy Inspector.  I think they run all the way up to $500 for ones with very large touch screens.  Heck, this is the only one I've seen without a touch screen.

Inspector
2010-03-31T16:20:57Z

LOL is that sentence calling me cheap or the remote cheap? xD

InfinityzeN
2010-03-31T17:36:09Z

The remote bro...

Inspector
2010-03-31T17:59:55Z

lol the period should of been before my name then xD

bob_on_the_cob
2010-03-31T19:25:47Z

I have to agree with the others. This doesn't look that great imo. I do like some of the higher end remotes though.

3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2010-03-31T19:37:15Z

animatortom wrote:

They better hurry, because all these smartphones are going to start having Home theatre remote Apps really soon!

/agree.  If someone would put an IR transmitter on the phone, these apps would already be prolific.

RyuGTX
2010-03-31T19:54:48Z

There might not be an app for it, but it should already be possible. I read a HTPC thing a while back. I think it was more of a blog/article than a build plan like the one that HH did recently. He basically used his iPhone as a remote to pick a movie to watch. It was really cool.

3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2010-03-31T20:20:09Z

RyuGTX wrote:

There might not be an app for it, but it should already be possible. I read a HTPC thing a while back. I think it was more of a blog/article than a build plan like the one that HH did recently. He basically used his iPhone as a remote to pick a movie to watch. It was really cool.

As long as it's net connected and has a web interface - should not be a problem.

Marius Malek
2010-03-31T21:02:13Z

Quote:

And the new Harmony 300 remote also features a new simplified online set up with MyHarmony.com. With a refreshed Web-based setup designed for Logitech’s newest remote, all you have to do is connect the remote to your computer, go to myharmony.com, punch in what devices you’re using and the system will handle the rest. The Harmony 300 will retail for $49.99 and will be available in April, just in time to get setup for that long summer indoors.

So it's literally a "smart" remote. I'd say it's pretty legit for its price. 

Quote:

Plus, your Harmony 300 remote will never be out of date. Logitech’s remotes are powered by an online device library that covers more brands than any other remote, including more than 225,000 devices from more than 5,000 brands — and the list grows every day. Whether you have an aging VCR or a brand new Blu-ray™ player, you can be confident your Harmony remote will control the IR devices you have.

This is where I'm sold. I love to stretch my buck as far as it will physically let me in this universe. I have noticed this when buying various amounts of items. I always review my purchases as much as possible. I probably give in most of my money to materials that I know I will get my money's worth. For instance, I would NEVER buy $1000 worth of hot dogs if I could spend $1000 on a laptop. Why? Because the computer will outlive the hot dogs. 

la_guy_10
2010-03-31T22:50:04Z

@Marius Malek Point well taken, spoken like a true hardware geek!!!!!