tom1290
  •  tom1290
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-03-22T13:06:06Z

[H] question to all about videocards       your thoughts on nvidia, ati.   i currently run  AMD cpu  but have always wondered about changing to a ati card. what do you guys think. i;m asking for help tech wise not here to start a war between companys. so please express  your true thoughts and why!!!

Sponsor
Marius Malek
2010-03-22T13:23:49Z

Right now it's really hard for me to decide. For years I have been a predominant Nvidia fan because of previous experiences with ATI cards.

But recently I've noticed that AMD has completely overhauled their lineup of ATI cards, see the 5000 series models of cards for ATI. They are pumping out power and affordable cards with some excellent driver support -- something they have been lacking for quite some time.

Nvidia is set to release their new card linup soon, and honestly I don't know what to expect. So I can only wait for benchmark tests from Hot Hardware and other websites dedicated to a similar cause. However Nvidia is well known for selling high end GPU's at some really high prices regardless of their performance.

Right now, it's all up in the air. Both companies have their ups and downs.

AKwyn
  •  AKwyn
  • 71.2% (Friendly)
  • Advanced Member
2010-03-22T14:41:22Z

Well NVIDIA cards are the most powerful ones out there, have some more memory and carry technologies such as PhysX (Hardware-accelerated physics stuff), but they cost a whole lot of money.

Personally, I bought myself an ATI Radeon HD 4890 on eBay for $150 dollars (since there aren't many games out there that support DX11 and the prices for those cards are too high for me.) and I've been enjoying it ever since. It carries DX 10.1 and GDDR5 memory (if you care about that) which NVIDIA doesn't.

Personally. If you want power and performance then NVIDIA might be your choice but if your budget conscious and/or want that stuff that ATI has then ATI is for you.

RyuGTX
2010-03-22T17:35:58Z

I like both companies. I just buy the best bang for the buck.

Right now, I'm really liking the new ATI 5000 series cards. They got the DX11 support which I believe will be adopted, unlike DX10. A feature that I really like is the inclusion of the DisplayPort. I also like the fact that in idle, these cards have very low power draw.

rpochron
2010-03-22T18:04:29Z

I have swapped back-and-forth several times and ultimately there's no true power house. Both companies have their strengths and weaknesses, but I agree with Ryu that the DX11 support from the  ATI 5000 series is nice at the moment. I personally would wait for nvidia to release their latest Fermi cards and go from there based on your budget.

RyuGTX
2010-03-23T03:55:31Z

Yeah, wait for Nvidia's DX11 offering like rpochron suggested. You don't have to wait much longer since it should be launching at the end of this month. Just cross your fingers and hope that shortages won't occur like when ATI first launching their 5000 series cards. Those were sold hard to find for at least a good month.

animatortom
2010-03-23T05:32:02Z

ATI, most definitely! The whole bang for the buck thing applies.

The Radeon 5870 gives you DX11. Most of the new games are created using DX11 to incorporate their textures on HD displays, and the Avivo decoder is great if you want to use it for a home theatre PC.

Nvida is good for games. but in the last two years ATI has really stepped up to the plate and surpassed Nvidia. With 1600 Stream Processing Units, and GDDR5 you cant go wrong. Also since you have an AMD CPU, it would be more complimentary towards one another.  These are good next gen cards and should stay dated for at least two years.

RyuGTX
2010-03-23T15:07:10Z

animatortom wrote:

ATI, most definitely! The whole bang for the buck thing applies.

The Radeon 5870 gives you DX11. Most of the new games are created using DX11 to incorporate their textures on HD displays, and the Avivo decoder is great if you want to use it for a home theatre PC.

Nvida is good for games. but in the last two years ATI has really stepped up to the plate and surpassed Nvidia. With 1600 Stream Processing Units, and GDDR5 you cant go wrong. Also since you have an AMD CPU, it would be more complimentary towards one another.  These are good next gen cards and should stay dated for at least two years.

Don't know if you want to emphasize 1600 stream processors. It almost makes it sound like a number to use and compare to Nvidia. Just to clarify for the guys that might be out there who only compare the amount of RAM on a video card, don't start comparing stream processors between companies. It is like comparing GHz between AMD and Intel; it doesn't work. ATI does have more, but it doesn't mean their cards offer over 5 times the performance of a similar Nvidia card.

hedgyman
2010-03-24T10:29:20Z

I was always a loyal Nvidia fanboy, buying up all the newest cards as soon as they came out.  Recently though I've just found it hard to justify getting the newest Nvidia cards as their price points are just too high even for their top cards.  I stopped at a Sapphire Radeon 4890 simply because of the overclocking features on the card.  It seems to do the job and there aren't that many games that can really utilize higher settings than this card can handle.  But it's up to what you're looking for in a card; whether it be a entry level card, mid-range or extreme card.

mentaldisorder
2010-03-24T10:56:30Z

I only buy nvidia these days because I have had driver problems with ati cards on my parents computer and computers I have diagnosed/repaired for some friends. 

RyuGTX
2010-03-24T17:07:05Z

hedgyman wrote:

I was always a loyal Nvidia fanboy, buying up all the newest cards as soon as they came out.  Recently though I've just found it hard to justify getting the newest Nvidia cards as their price points are just too high even for their top cards.  I stopped at a Sapphire Radeon 4890 simply because of the overclocking features on the card.  It seems to do the job and there aren't that many games that can really utilize higher settings than this card can handle.  But it's up to what you're looking for in a card; whether it be a entry level card, mid-range or extreme card.

That is a good point hedgyman. Thinking about the latest and greatest or who has the performance crown currently is fun to do, but it really is up to the individual. Each person is going to have a different budget and are looking for different things in a video card. One person might have a huge budget and wants wants everything (performance and high visuals). Another person might be playing on a 20" monitor, is perfectly satisfied with medium settings in games, and just wants at least 30 fps.

blazarcher
2010-03-29T17:43:43Z

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]It's very simple... Nvidia is great for people willing to spend lots of money for great performance. They also have MUCH better driver support.[/FONT]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]However, ATI is on the other side for those who want value for what they are buying. Their GPU's offer the best performance/price ratio. I for one have stuck with Nvidia for quite some time. But I've always had a thing for ATI because they are seen by many as the "underdogs".[/FONT]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Nvidia has a lot more money than ATI and consequently, more money to burn as well. Nvidia is there to make the profit but ATI really is providing the better GPU but due to immature drivers, Nvidia end up winning in the performance realm.[/FONT]

SuperRob
2010-03-30T03:58:11Z

Honestly, I would choose an NVidia card. My very first card was an ATI card and all it did was blue screen on me every hour or so. I will never buy another ATI card again.

RyuGTX
2010-03-30T21:06:35Z

I personally suggest to buy the best bang for your buck while considering your budget. So if you have a bigger or lower budget, just adjust to what you are willing to spend.

I think this works best, because no company is perfect. No manufacturer can always put out good cards. Someone will run into problems and then swear to never buy from them again. Obviously, this occurs more for some companies because quality control does vary. But I wouldn't swear by ATI or Nvidia.

sp12
  •  sp12
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2010-03-31T16:27:55Z

I suggest that, if possible, you wait a month or so.

Nvidia is currently behind, but they'll release a (hopefully) better Fermi chip soon, which SHOULD push ATI prices down.

When they get back to MRSP, I would go for a 5800 series.