ClemSnide
2010-03-08T11:40:18Z

My new homebrew rig is folding, and seems to be humming along at least as well as Captain Clunker. But one thing I've always had to do was to launch it manually after a restart.

Placing an alias in the Startup folder doesn't seem to do anything, possibly because of UAC, which always asks whether I actually want to run the program I just double-clicked. Raising the privilege level for all users doesn't seem to work; I stil get the UAC popup.

Is there anything I can do to automate my folding under Windows 7?

Sponsor
Super Dave
2010-03-08T20:26:53Z

Some good reading HERE (and check-out the note under METHOD SIX).

ClemSnide
2010-03-09T11:07:25Z

Thanks, SuperDave. Method #6 worked, and I'm folding now, but-- yeesh, what a process!

I know Apple gets no love here. But I encourage everyone to go to the link you provided, take a look at the intricate nineteen-step process (and I'm guessing that if you get even one step wrong, it'd have bad effects on another part of your system), and then think of the Macintosh equivalent, which is:

Place an alias of the program in your Startup Items folder.

(Which is what I tried first, both in my own Startup folder and the Public Startup folder. Another yeesh; Microsoft can't even get a simple process and keep it simple.)

But, at least it's done and won't have to be done again-- until the next OS upgrade.

Super Dave
2010-03-09T13:23:40Z

Wouldn't it have been easier to simply turn OFF the UAC?

mentaldisorder
2010-03-09T18:56:52Z

I assume you were having trouble with the smtp client or the regular one?  The gpu client launches automatically, if you select the right download link.

ClemSnide
2010-03-09T21:31:42Z

It was the system tray version-- the recommended one, according to the Stanford website. I haven't had it launch itself, ever.

Turning off UAC... I don't think that's a good idea, but I also have to wonder why (if at all) it disallows automated processes from starting up. What, does it just fail if you put a program which would activate the dialog in the Startup folder?

Super Dave
2010-03-09T22:17:47Z

ClemSnide wrote:

Turning off UAC... I don't think that's a good idea,

I don't think that turning off UAC is a good idea either...on a normal everyday rig. But if you are using it exclusively for folding, and nothing else, then what's the harm?

ClemSnide
2010-03-10T09:45:48Z

Maybe (if I put Captain Clunker back online, and use it to fold, I may do that), but Blue Wilhelm plays games, surfs the Web, and installs new software all the time. My Macs remain my leading work computers, but this one is my main gaming computer. (And I surf on it more frequently too, because it has a more comfortable chair.  .)

The F@H client runs on a graphics card, so when I got that spiffy new Radeon 5850, folding is one of the things I wanted to do on it-- but playing World of Warcraft comes in a very close second.