rapid1
2010-01-31T15:39:28Z

I am with neil on this it take to much attention physically and mentally to text, to be doing it while controlling a motor vehicle.

rapid1
2010-02-01T00:07:48Z

does Onstar piggy back another GPS provider

gibbersome
2010-02-01T07:52:15Z

This is an interesting article that indicates that any kind of distraction is culpable for crashes.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10444717-266.html 

Should we start banning iPods and GPSs in cars too?

realneil
2010-02-01T08:43:27Z

Quote: does Onstar piggy back another GPS provider

OnStar is a Space Satellite based service for all of it's functions, but uses normal cell service to make calls. I think that devices like Bluetooth and Vehicle intercom communications can make driving and phoning safe, but reading and typing takes way too much of your attention to safely point your moving 3,000 pound weapon with any degree of responsibility.

aybabtu
2010-02-01T09:35:45Z

I think that to make the car manufacturers install phone blocking hardware would not be the way to go about putting some control on the problem of TWD. I was nearly run off a interstate highway this weekend (with 3 kids in the back seat) by a texter. I think that the phone should disable texting while moving more that 5 miles an hour. Most phones nowadays have GPS and or accelerometers. Doing anything more than standing or sitting while texting is dangerous.

realneil
2010-02-01T10:40:06Z

Quote: does Onstar piggy back another GPS provider

OnStar is a Space Satellite based service for all of it's functions, but uses normal cell service to make calls. I think that devices like Bluetooth and Vehicle intercom communications can make driving and phoning safe, but reading and typing takes way too much of your attention to safely point your moving 3,000 pound weapon with any degree of responsibility.

gibbersome
2010-02-01T11:02:16Z

aybabtu wrote:

I think that to make the car manufacturers install phone blocking hardware would not be the way to go about putting some control on the problem of TWD. I was nearly run off a interstate highway this weekend (with 3 kids in the back seat) by a texter. I think that the phone should disable texting while moving more that 5 miles an hour. Most phones nowadays have GPS and or accelerometers. Doing anything more than standing or sitting while texting is dangerous.

Hehe, there was an article here a week or so ago about the epidemic of people hurting themselves when walking while texting.

What we need is handsfree texting...so like voice recognition might be able to do the trick? If all else fails, lets raise the minimum driving age to 18, that'll teach 'em!